Help Me Clean My Flask

Im trying to clean my boiling flask. There is a thin red film from my waste material boiling onto the sides. I have tried alcohol, acetone, papertowels on scrubbing brushes, soap and water, and now I am trying citric acid which doesnt seem to be helping. What should I do to remove these stains from my glass?

stupid question but i have to ask

are you sure that those stains aren’t inside your heating mantle?

1 Like

Yeah, should have uploaded this too

1 Like

just replying so I can track this thread because I am also curious :eyes:

Base bath. Be careful though.

3 Likes

It’s not exactly the same, but when I couldn’t get the stains off my wiper evaporator, I used to soak it in limonene.

2 Likes

AlcoJet might work too, it’s really basic though so be careful, like @NewLevelProcess says.

3 Likes

acetone works well

Acetone has been tried

1 Like

this one has come up a couple or ten times…and there are some great solutions (including piranha) offered.

If you haven’t explored them all, I highly (:shushing_face:) recommend doing so.

Don’t try this one at home…

3 Likes

Works wonders

14 Likes

that’s the one I was looking for.
I remember it from another thread but could not remember the name for the life of me.

thank you!

2 Likes

No worries at all my friend :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Soak it in a base bath (8M NaOH) or acid bath (70% nitric acid) in a fumehood. Leave it overnight. Rinse with several volumes of water. Then try your organic solvents again.

1 Like

Do you have access to a sonicator? Usually helps with stubborn grime on our parts.

1 Like

No I sold it using @RuderEquipment

2 Likes

Alconox. Alcojet is the low foam version for use in dishwashers.

3 Likes

I use a bunch of quartz or stainless beads to help when I’m scrubbing a nasty residue off.

https://www.amazon.com/QCQIANG-Precision-Assortment-Bicycles-Refrigerators/dp/B09DJY8FL8/

Yeah, I was thinking another alconox product, Keylajet. I’ve used keylajet before but it’s very basic

That sounds like a direct ketamine delivery system

2 Likes