Boiling flask washing

Hey guys,
We knocked up a quick boiling flask cleaner that works well.
We paid $10k for an ultrasonic cleaner that failed to impress and solved the problem with a bucket & sump pump.
We run Elma Lab Clean A20SF first, as long as it takes (+40min but who cares If it is longer because you Don’t have to scrub)
Then we run Alchinox for a streak free clean.
We are going to take this to a more professional solution (Only for ourselves) but it is a CHEAP idea for any lab struggling to clean flasks well.

FYI: the pressure that the pump runs at actually keeps the water hot (around 60c) so no heater.

Bill of materials:
1off Sump pump: Wayne 1/3hp 4600gph ($170)
1off 25L bucket: FREE with every $2700 of Mag Sil purchased from Summit Research - hahaha
NOTE: 25L bucket because it fits the 50L RotoVap flask too
1off M 1-1/2” to F 1/2” NPT Stainless adaptor
2off 1/2” MNPT to 1/2” Tube Swagelok
1/2” stainless tube (I bent mine with a 45deg kink to center it) I wouldn’t suggest using 90deg fittings if you can’t bend to do this as the tube will likely block)
3/8” rotary spray ball (Amazon $16.19)

I TIG welded my ROTATY BALL to the SWAGELOK fitting because I was supplied the wrong thread, but in hindsight it kept the assembly narrow and means
We can clean anything with >22mm

Get on it guys and build your own.
Your team will thank me

22 Likes

Nice little dishwasher you got there!

3 Likes

that is awesome.

linking a couple of other threads, so this is accessible from there.

Cleaning Glassware
Hello! / Cleaning Oversized Glassware

8 Likes

Wow. Thats pretty ingenious :joy:

4 Likes

Excellent idea thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

This is genius

2 Likes

Here are some photos of flipping the micro switch so it works on press rather than in the standard float orientation

I just knocked out the 2 brass puns holding the switch & flipped the bracket (then re-peened the pins back over)

2 Likes

Here it is In action with the 50L RotoVap flask.
We also use it for beakers, 1L glass bottles, the 20L vacuum receiver from our hochstrom & with a bit of modification it will soon clean our bottle brushes too!

3 Likes

@Corey_Small, nice job! You have a link or something for what you used for the spray head?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Rotary-Cleaning-Female-Sanitary/dp/B07DZZNHLP

5 Likes

Raghanded got it right below.
If you type “rotary tank spray stainless” into Amazon then your choices are endless.

FYI: we made 1 more for First Pass flasks with a ton of organic crap build up (ours is like a hard candy) with a fixed head (no spinning, looks like a disco ball) and it never gets clogged when doing the initial cleans.

1 Like

its a “CIP spray ball”. (Clean In Place)

in this case the place happens to be a 5 gal bucket :wink:

edit: not that your query doesn’t yield. just that knowing the correct name helps (Shorter query AND fewer off target hits…).

4 Likes