Extraction General Chat Archive

This topic is an archive of the Extraction General chat channel.

Originally sent in Extraction General
envee

Is this a channel for all types/methods of extraction?

sidco

For now, yes

Photon_noir

I like coffee.

heart 2
Extractionperson2.0

Have you ever had the kind of coffee that is made from beans that have been shit out of an animal? Bucket list for me. So far I’ve only eaten gummy worms from a strippers ass.

joy 1
rofl 2
Photon_noir

I am curious what in the coffee beans might be extracted by mammalian digestion... Or what in gummy worms may be extracted by dancer derrier...:thinking:

joy 3
tada 2
envee

Have you ever made cannabis smell and look like coffee grounds?

there is a way.. not pleasant one.. but it's possible

grimacing 1
Killa12345

Shit….. I took that as he likes to eat shit. To answer your question, he’s extraction shit from the dancers derrier.

tada 1
HappyFeet420

Pay me $1,000,000,000

:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

Extractionperson2.0

whats the largest scale limonene extraction system anyone has played with?

SubstituteCreature

It's pronounced

LEMON-NINE

But i've squeezed a lemon or two once.

got kicked out of the store but i'd say the extraction was a success

joy 1
rofl 2
yum 1
Photon_noir

Probably the industrial scale extraction of limonene from citrus peels to make cleaning products and the like.

SubstituteCreature

Seeing that for the first time really gave me an idea of the solvent potential of terps in relation to rosin

My brother brought that to my attention and it just sent me down a rabbit hole...

+1 2
Extractionperson2.0

I mean a system using liminene as a solvent

thesk8nmidget
NewLevelProcess

When you recover your limonene solvent all of your Pinene terpinolene terpenine and all the limonene isomers are going with it

So maybe for crude

And don't push with CO2

heart 2
sob 1
the.shopdog

Hey all I’m a free agent looking for some work, i come with sops and certified on equipment , would love to get it going again

Extractionperson2.0

And everything with a lower boiling point and slightly higher as well since we always overshoot a bit

heart 1
WorkingOnIt

Thank you for this post, Horatio is still inspirational

Dred_pirate

Limonene is really hard to remove the last amount, it has a high BP. I had some people who I worked for like 6-7 years ago that tried it. They left it being vacuumed over night pulling on multiple other ovens that had shatter in em. Next morning everything had turned to goop and auto buddered. I couldn't stand them, it made me laugh because I had nothing to do with it. I was only there to make crumble, because they couldn't "figure it out".

heart 1
c0dean

after an LLE run and what i thought was a balanced pH... my 1st pass of d8 is ever so slightly pink but clear in a sample jar.

do i need to do another complete LLE or can i toss some baking soda into the boiling flask and do a 2nd pass to remediate??

MedicineManHempCo

Let’s see a picture @c0dean

c0dean

i could be wrong here but i was checking the pH of my aqueous layer each time i did my LLE until the final two washes of just d.w. and my pH was saying 6.5

MedicineManHempCo

Do you have an KOH?

*any

How did your LLE washes look coming out?

c0dean

just non caustic as fertilizer

i dont have any KOH just.. good ol potassium

the first two base washes were dingy pink and cloudy AF

the 3rd and 4th brine and acid washes began to clear up with slightly cloudiness

the final washes were water clear .. i tested the wash and pH told me 6.5 so i thought ok im done. distilled yesterday and before i left for the house it was pinky and the brain dude

but the sample jar i pulled mid run was water clear

MedicineManHempCo

get some. Mix ~1g in 40mL of etOH. Then you can put a drop of your disty onto a paper plate and then a drop of the KOH onto the disty. If it turns as purple as Barney’s Dick, you still have CBD in there.

I’ll send you the writeup. But I think there could be some CBD remaining in there. Do you use an adsorbents on your first pass?

heart 2
c0dean

t-41 was in the flask while distilling. i know AC is an adsorbent but is acidic t-41 considered an adsorbent?

MedicineManHempCo

How much?

c0dean

3,000g 99.9 cbd iso to 450g t-41

15% by weight

was doing 10% previous a d someone suggested bumping to 15% to make sure all CBD has isomerized

so i gave it a go and now im left with pink in high volumes... crystal water clear in small volumes. i highly doubt its just chromatic aberration

someone told me previously that it could be oxidation because my SPD unit wasnt running inert??

my argument would be that i would develop a ring not an entire hue change of the flask but my knowledge and experience is very limited

Cheebachiefextracts

Are you distilling the whole batch into one main body or are you pulling heads fraction ?

MedicineManHempCo

I have found that too much adsorbents can definitely yield a pink/red hue when distilling. I have never attempted a bf RXN as I have always followed the reactor SOP. We use 1.5% adsorbents and we generally get a very neutral color

heart 2
c0dean

i pulled heads but it wasn't much.. once my shit starts to seriously coil and theres no drip and my cold trap isn't dropping beads i switch flasks

heads were clear though

MedicineManHempCo

Makes sense. Heads looked clear, and then the rest of the oil had time and temp to change color with the presence of too much adsorbents.

heart 2
c0dean

i'll dial back the t41 back to 10% for the next round

MedicineManHempCo

So let me get this straight, you are doing a bf RXN, then distilling, LLE, redistillation?

c0dean

yes sir

MedicineManHempCo

on your redistillation, Have you tried 5%?

c0dean

we have a stainless reactor so im scared to do a RXN in it. im afraid acids will cause galvanic corrosion and fuck it up. waiting on my investors to get me a damn glass reactor

then i can do a pTSA rxn

MedicineManHempCo

I prefer stainless… just make sure to clean it after use. We react, then do our washes, then move on to solvent recovery in the roto, then distillation

Cheebachiefextracts

I have a question. After lle how are you ensuring you have no water content left prior to slapping into a roto then spd

you can do one in the spd if you want to grab the right head to do it

along with a few other items to run inert

c0dean

how do you clean your reactor after the RXN?

i look at the solution in my flask before i roto.. if i see any layers forming i try to seperate them. do you think teeny water particles are stuck in the organic layer.

when i rotovap i get what seems to be pure heptane .. i dont see a layer forming in the receiving flask

do brine washes not pull the h20 from the organic layer?

i was doing 2 brine washes at 5%

Cheebachiefextracts

It could be a possible culprit tbh, there’s a few factors meaning you have either powders left over which if your filtration after lle is good I don’t see why you should. Then second, water content being present & not dealt with can cause unwanted color change to happen as well. I suggest sodium sulfate to pull the rest of the moisture some will suggest mgso4. You can pour the powder into what you’ve collected the organic layer in(flask) and watch the salt absorb the water content then filter it all out over a 25um filter or lower. Then roto & spd.

No brine washes won’t pull all of it from the organic layer, you’ll still have a minuscule amount.

heart 1
c0dean

nice dude.. i have a 50lb bag of mgso4

Cheebachiefextracts

I can’t attest to the quality of it for being an input consumable to this but I will say always make sure you grab quality products that are meant for their purposes of course. If you can find it in bulk / quality that’s awesome!

NewLevelProcess

You're not cutting right

+1 1
c0dean

i do my LLE in my 5L reactor. what im gonna do is remove my aqueous after 25 min of settling... then add some mgso4 to my organic thats left in the reactor and see if i get another layer at the bottom... then i can filter it all out after seperated

NewLevelProcess

You need to run the color forward and switch to mains when it runs clear

Ideally switch pathway

c0dean

what if my heads fraction is water clear ? and im basing when to switch not off color but off consistency. when it begins to seriously coil and not drip was my que

also when my cold trap has almost nothing going on.. is another indicator i was using

telling me that most if not all volatiles are done boiling

NewLevelProcess

That's the beginning of your heads

And if you run with powder, when it hits dryness you're going to send powder through you system

You'll run through clear then purple then pink then clear almost yellow tint

You can start at the yellow

You also might be going too fast through your heads to catch your main

heart 1
Thedistillator

Wow, i dig the new layout. Okkayyyy

heart 1
dutchmulti

Looking for a spd expert in the nederlands

MedicineManHempCo

@c0dean i think you should spend some time reading here on the alkaline beam test. First you need to ensure that you are getting complete conversion. If not, your color will not be right. After you ensure complete conversion, you need to spend time dialing in your adsorbents. On first (and only for us) pass, we are using around 1.5-3% adsorbents. Everytime we have used too much adsorbents, we get distillate that looks like yours.

+1 3
c0dean

thanks my man @MedicineManHempCo i appreciate it

hey @MedicineManHempCo i used 5% and its turning out MUCH better thanks for the spoon dude

+1 1
MedicineManHempCo

Nice job brotha! Feels good to be able to contribute back with what I’ve learned so far

heart 1
ThePhilosopherStoned

Is there a thread dedicated to the analytics the terpene panels from concentrate CoAs? I'm interested in seeing what %s everyone has been seeing on their BHO and Rosin, both live and cured...

analytics of terpenes*

cyclopath

So start sad thread…

said :rofl:

ThePhilosopherStoned

Was just checking to see if there was one first...search results are terp heavy but didn't see a specific allocation thus far :upside_down_face:

I shall kick it off

anonish

Curious if there's an obvious difference between the lower and higher testing strains. Do the higher testing varieties generally always have louder profiles?

heart 1
Originally sent in Extraction General
anonish

Didn't want to derail your thread

SpookyDistillation

Here's some bullshit, but you wanted to see terps lol:

rofl 3
Dejo11

Heloo guys ,am kind a new one here so be gentle with me.pleaasee haha , wanted to asked abouth the washing your destilation sistem after the destillation is done , you are doin it with ethanol and only ethanol or you can hook me up with some.other ideas ?

ThePhilosopherStoned

Several options...search cleaning/washing "boiling flask"

You can also just distill solvent between runs but that's not for novices

heart 1
Dejo11

I mean im.sayin abouth a big ethanol.extraction , the vertical destilate tank is 500 l , so after we finished with cbd extraction and we preparing for thc extraction we need to clean all.the pipes and system , im.doing that with ethanol circled in around the system like two hours , it takes me alot of time to clean it properly ,

NewLevelProcess

50/50 mix of terpinolene and limonene

Distill it through the system by heating then empty and heat dry it with mild heat

heart 2
Lukewarm

Been trying to mechanically press thc-a with rosin, but only getting about 15% yield, I was wondering if that's cause it's flower rosin or if i'm just not curing it right for more nucleation.

moveweight

Explain your yield further.

You're pressing buds?

Flower rosin? Washed? Dried? Then mechanically separated? Or straight nugs pressed and then trying to mech separate that?

15% from crude rosin to THCA?

What are you expecting as well?

Lukewarm

Sorry, didn't mean to be vauge. Basically I am doing this Mechanical separation TEK. (Solventless diamonds) - Hash and Stuff / Solventless - Future4200

and was wondering if yields would improve if I used hash rosing instead of flower rosin

I hear some people get like 50% so 15% is kinda low expextations

right now in using straight dried buds, didn't want to do hash rosin cause more work and stuff

sorry for bad grammer btw, kinda high/drunk haha

For curing I just cold cure until it's badder.

heart 1
Cheebachiefextracts

So you need to think of the overall yields not just the yield % to oil from input press product.

Typically with flower I can hit 15-25% overall yield from input which in retrospect in below average for what your yield overall from hash to rosin would be as those yields you can see up to 50-65%+ in most cases, but the overall yield from your input wash material would be between 3-8% at most over yield. But the product out come will always be what depicts the two imo.

Most folks only use a certain spectrum of microns from their hash for rosin and either total loss the others or utilize them for other skus which I highly suggest to get the most out of your product formulations.

Do with some of this info with what you will. It’s just my two cents.

heart 2
Lukewarm

That is good info, thanks!

Cheebachiefextracts

Of course here’s another template I use to help some folks as well get general idea

Ice water Bubble hash
Fresh frozen yeild to hash averages 5-13% yeild to hash from input bio mass.

15-20lbs of ice per wash, 20-25gallons of water per wash. Factor these in for cost. Washing 15lbs at a time.

We can get a ice machine & reverse osmosis system with a resivour to hold water & cut all that cost out right away.

800.72 oz = 22,700 g average a 7% yeild to obtain 56.05oz = 1589 g press that for a average of 70% yeild = 1112.3 g in rosin from hash.

Over all yeild 4.9%+

Dry ice sift hash
Fresh frozen yields average from 35-55% into various grades of dry sift hash from bio mass input.

Dry ice is .65¢-.99¢ per lb
Use .3-.5lb of dry ice to every lb of flower.

800.72oz = 22,700 g average a 45% average yeild = 10,215g dry sift hash.
360.32oz = 10,215 g press that for an average of 35-85% yeild to rosin average of 55% = 5618.25 g of rosin.

24.75% yeild overall from input

That last part might piss off some folks that strictly run bubble. Lol

heart 2
Lukewarm

you guys are great! testing with extracts is so costly, saves me a ton.

Cheebachiefextracts

I know when I can’t figure somethings out I go to colleagues and places like this forum for answers, it’s great to be able to find these things with a few key words

+1 3
moveweight

Nice read to catch up on!

Respeccccc

+1 1
Cheebachiefextracts

As long as someone is Leveling up/ rebuilding/ expanding properly, I’m all for helping. We could all use a hand at times

heart 4
c0dean

when doing LLE from doing conversions is it necessary to work up for longer than 15 min and settle longer than 15?

i was told to work up for 25 and let settle for 15... then i've seen plenty of people saying its overkill

would anything over 10 to 15 minutes make any difference. because i can get a lot more washes in if i just did it for 10 to 15 minutes

Cheebachiefextracts

I would do agitation for 15 settle for 25 each wash, it’s really to each their own as if you can notice the moment you have good full separation then you’d be fine to discard of your aqueous layer then & continue foward

MedicineManHempCo

One thing that will help is to make sure it doesn’t build pressure during LLE. Everytime I have forgotten to vent the reactor outside, it creates emulsions that takes way longer to settle out. I assume you are using a sep funnel and that may be a bit more difficult

c0dean

I use my 5l reactor as a sep funnel
i've got 2 filters, agitation and a timer so it works out haha i know its not meant for LLE but works wonders

and to boot i can set the temp on the jacket prior to adding my water so i know my heptane and disty is homogenized well prior to LLE

MedicineManHempCo

You sound just like me when I started. I ran more than 80kg of isolate to d8 at the rate of 1kg at a time because that was all that would fit in the 5L reactor with the washes. We got pretty good at it that way and it took a year before we upgraded to the 50L stainless system that we built.

c0dean

i've got a 50L stainless reactor but i want to see. i proposed to an investor lets grab ourselves a 50L glass reactor and he's debating it. wish he'd just let me pull the trigger

MedicineManHempCo

Honestly, I’d go with the stainless, personally. It can handle higher pressure, is easier to connect NPT fittins to, and is less likely to leave you with internal lacerations if vented properly with PRVs and such.

Glass is nice to be able to see what you are doing, but strive to have your processes such that it no longer matters.

heart 1
fireinfireout93

what would be causing this in my vape formulation?

Cheebachiefextracts

Well what did you use to formulate said batch & exactly what are the inputs, looks like some sort of oxidation that has striated towards the bottom.

ky_cbd

What are you homogenizing with?

Cheebachiefextracts

I’ve seen it happen with some terps

fireinfireout93

floraplex terps @ 4%

using an overhead mixer

Cheebachiefextracts

Specific terps? Any isolated terps? Doesn’t need to get full into how much of what but could help lend a hand to figuring something out. Also is this traditional distillate as is d9 that’s not converted or is this cbd disty, or d8 conversion or d9 conversion, or any of the other cannabinoids?

fireinfireout93

botanical blend, traditional d8 disty....im starting to think it just may not have been mixed enough

NewLevelProcess

what temp are you mixing at

Dred_pirate

Heat gun the oxidized layer off the top and pour it aside before you warm it up to start mixing. You'll need to probably warm the whole solution to 135f+, warm up the floorpex terps, and then mix for a few. Insulate that jar with some foil to keep some heat in there.

heart 1
moveweight

Did you just wake up and start delivering answers?

:pray::thinking:

beers 1
clown_face 1
folartechvape

Hi What I need a refining lab such as THCH/CBG/CBN/terpenes that can provide timely certification of THC-free. I would like to do business with a lab that can quickly detect and respond to information such as DEA regulations.

anybody help with

tBands

Limonene and acetone to clean SPD equipment? Would Acetone from plastic containers leave residuals behind from impurities, can’t I just redistill the acetone and store it in glass on site after taking it into my possession?

Limonene hot acetone dry

ThePhilosopherStoned

What are you planning on distilling acetone with? That's not something you just throw in spd and use an Edward's to distill

c0dean

@tBands

MedicineManHempCo

I like to leave my system open to atm at the cold trap and put etoh in the bf to boil and clean. After about 45min we tear it down and spot clean any charcoal or stubborn scooge

heart 1
tBands

Didn’t think about what it would take to actually distill the acetone, first spd buildout, trying to get my foot in the door for the future as I’m almost half the age of most on the forum, I definitely should have researched more on that before speaking in hindsight

heart 1
downtheterphole

does anyone else do rapid inline thca precipitation yet? 1-3mm crystalline in ~4ft

heart 1
moveweight

Pictures. Time lapse videos go a long way.

I know of rapid crystalization

clown_face 2
poop 2
beers 2
clown_face 2
poop 2
Darrenjaydirect

This is the target of most consults right now. Wait a couple years and it will be free when you buy something shiny. Another few years and it will be common knowledge.

Future

I've yet to see anyone openly doing it the way you guys are though

heart 1
moveweight

That's exciting because I have no idea what that means.

I've seen diamonds made right before my eyes.

And I'm telling ya, it's all fuckin cool as shit :sunglasses:

I love all this stuff

More cool shit the merrier.

beers 3
clown_face 2
poop 2
beers 3
clown_face 2
poop 2
beers 3
clown_face 2
poop 2
beers 3
clown_face 2
poop 2
beers 3
clown_face 2
poop 2
cyclopath

For what it’s worth, to me this looks like a horrible way to help folks…all the questions jumbled together, and any answers go away/are non-searchable.

sidco

I agree cyclopath. I like extraction stuff to stay on the forum. More searchable and slower form is helpful

ShivasOrgChem

yup agree with cyclopath. May allow for lack of accountability for those who give bad advice and can easily deny it.

sidco

Not sure the best way to do this but there is archive option that turns chat into a thread. Ill do it here before I remove this channel.

pdxcanna

Can you get a list of the most saved posts/comments?

sidco

A list from this chat of all the internal links posted, sorted in order?

pdxcanna

No, posts/comments that have been saved by users on the main forum

Using the little bookmark tab thing

sidco

Not out of the box but its something I can look up

I gotta figure out how to make it out of this