Heavy Metals in outdoor shatter

How do i remediate metals, guys in swaziland having a big problem with it!

1 Like
4 Likes

I can’t help you with the extraction side, but on the cultivation side there’s a few things you can do-

Calcium like gypsum helps displace the ionic charge in soil with metals like aluminum that can cause toxicity.

(shameless plug) The best solution is a fulvic acid supplement used as a foliar and drench that helps increase the CEC that the plant only uptakes and retains minerals and elements that it needs for growth. Depending on the farm size this can be done with compost or a bulk humate to a lesser extent.

5 Likes

big feilds, no use if its not clean! i will advise the farmers. thanks bro

1 Like

i should be mining metals apparently

1 Like

No, it’s awful. It’s bad for your health and unless you own the mine outright, it’s not worth the money. Just like F4200, there’s better money in reclaiming product that would have gone to waste.

just kidding bro, need to clean it up is my biggest prob.

1 Like

Call it platinum swazi

When they ask about the name change subjects

3 Likes

its not so easy anymore hahaha most of it is exported and for medical which i wont F with

2 Likes

Those values are actually pretty low. Just fractions of the warning level. If I am reading it right, the ones with OR next to it are actually too low to reliably quantitate.

2 Likes

Won’t the FA allow those heavy metals to be complexed and therefore become soluble/bioavailable? The plants can’t really choose between which cations are absorbed (this is the basis of poisoning plants with excess sodium). At least this was my understanding.

1 Like

I actually asked our CSO about this. I can’t find the e-mail explaining the mechanism, but when it is chelated (not complexed), it can absorb needed nutrients while flushing out heavy or un-necessary elements like metals. It doesn’t act like a simple MAOI inhibitor. It’s pretty amazing.

EDIT: Forgot a word

1 Like

Hi,
First step is to deal with the metals in the soil, you might try redissolving the resin in a non polar solvent and running it through some bentonite clay, use pressure filtration.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/240640781_Bentonites_as_adsorbents_of_heavy_metals_ions_from_mine_waste_leachates_Experimental_data

3 Likes

a book on cannabis and heavy metals coming out this Fall. Measuring heavy metals in cannabis and hemp

4 Likes

I think some centrifugation of the isolate could be a route as well correct?

1 Like

Probably need to dissolve it and use some sort of flocculant to pellet with. This is one of the reasons we got out ultracentrifuge but then we never had any HM issues lol

1 Like

At the rcf you would probably pellet the cannabinoids as well. The other question is how cleanly it can be decanted.

That’s the other thing we were hoping but it didn’t work as well as I’d predicted. Then again we were using the blackest, shittiest crude the world has ever seen so we may have just not been able to see the bands lol

3 Likes

did you run lc/gc on the pellet vs the supernatent?

2 Likes

Love Swaziland. I can’t imagine that the market there is all that big though? SA is a huge country. If it’s only the teeny lil country of Swaziland that’s getting they’re britches in a bunch then how much does it hurt?