Got BOCK?

If you’ve read the Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek and Delta Separations CUP threads, you’ve probably run into mentions of the BOCK 755. This one came off ebay for $9k. the rebuild took me about 20hrs.

They are not floodable, but they are available new or used, and rated for solvent use.

I’m getting about 7gal solvent off of each run. ~30lb of hemp

the basket weighs about 350lb

…because the base of the basket is almost and inch thick!!

fluid filled drive unit. I replaced the rubber, and most of the rust brushed right off.

cleaning the tub.

comes equipped with a spray head. control box is literally “bomb proof”!

this unit was previously used for “salt and methanol”. not sure what that means, other than "boy this thing is rusty!?

basket liner reduces the fines.

9 Likes

How does the BOCK 755 compare to the ACE Spinner?

the Ace-15 is smaller, and floodable. Biomass goes in a single ~15lb bag

the Ace-30 is about the same size, but lower to the ground, and also floodable. It also has a spindle (like the BOCK), and R&D on the right bags is in progress.

available G’s are very similar, based on motor specs and rotor diameter. I haven’t actually gotten my tachometer on either yet.

The Ace units are designed so you can do the actual extraction in the centrifuge, rather than spinning out bags that were extracted in another vessel.

This BOCK was added after the fact to another consultants work.

They had a scheme for recovering some of the excess solvent, but their eyes were wide when they saw the first run & realized just how much solvent they were leaving behind…

2 Likes

why aren’t they “floodable” is it because it would require so much fuel because of a large negative space? or is it a sealing issue?

They are simply not designed to be flooded…nor IMO reasonably modded to be so.

If they were I would have stopped right there…

That’s a 2” shaft in 5” hole.
Not really what I’d call a “sealing issue” :thinking:

No seal at all. :joy:

If you seal it.
Now that nasty hex ball is in your solvent.
:face_vomiting:

1 Like

The bottom of the outer bowl has no seal to speak of, just a big hole the drive shaft comes up through which drives the inner bowl, you would have to seal that shaft (with something that won’t get hot given the application), would have to be some kind of 2 piece seal too since the bowl drive hex is larger in diameter than the shaft below it and also put some sort of valve on the output pipe, from the factory it just dumps into a collection tank.

From what I’m to understand these things were designed & built to collect small amounts of flammable liquid from catch pads and whatever the Air Force equivalent of “cheap cat litter” is, they were never built with our ideal application in mind.

I also suspect that the motor would need to be geared down or pulleys changed quite a bit in order to spin a submerged or semi-submerged bowl, that would be at odds with it spinning fast enough to spin out all the liquid after you’ve done your extraction

Thanks @greenbuggy!

You can solve that with a variable frequency drive.

NSEP wants about $60k for the 755 these days ?? I know their lead time and price changed between my first a second calls.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like a few people have resorted to using these for spin drying. The centrifuge thing has grown fast as this is something suitable for alcohol extraction methods. But if there’s a hole in the bottom i’d think that to be questionable kinda disappointing considering how much they cost. Even if i wasn’t going to flood the tank i would still modify it. Perhaps the best way is to build an entire assembly that can fit over the inner shaft. Design it to be separate piece and then modify the bottom of the tank with a flange that can clamp on to the new housing. As far as gearing, if it had speed control like a vfd you can slow it right down or add one. If you did a wash cycle it wouldn’t need to go very fast at all so the extra mass of a full tank should matter. after the wash i would passively drain the tank of the majority then spin dry the rest :slight_smile:

To me that’s a one off kludge. I need a repeatable solution.

It’s also not the right tool, and while you can get it close, I don’t think you’ll like the compromises. Biggest one I see is that the hex ball requires lube. I also suspect the drive unit mounting gives the drive shaft enough freedom that the whole is that big for a REASON. seal it, and the drive suspension has almost no freedom. Won’t work (imo).

I believe the better solution is to design a centrifuge for the task a hand.

I’m getting there. :shushing_face:

1 Like

agreed. Thinking the same. good luck glad you at least have the bock! :slight_smile:

Does this make my position on the Bock clear??

Ace30 is floodable, and the first installations have begun.

3 Likes

Yes! So is that you drowning in it? haha

2 Likes

Failed attempt at teleportation :joy:

4 Likes

Something like that, and lead time sucks. Just ask Pinnacle.

If you or anyone else ever want to get rid of your 755 LMK I would be interested and can have cash or a wire at the ready.

Is this in Eugene?

it was. it has probably been retired at this point.

1 Like

Did you work with those guys at that lab? I’ve been there a few times.

Ran into this critter at the laundromat last night…if I’d run into it a couple of weeks ago, I might not be looking for the Password override Z2000 VFD?

Not sure how I feel about that… :thinking:

4 Likes

You are one of a kind.
With the knowledge you have and still hanging around the laundry mat. Observation is key to survival. Thanks this is entertaining to me.

4 Likes

Pathological recycler…

6 Likes