Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

2LB of DI to 1lb bio mass sounds about right, even at 100lb biomass scale. I think we’re at 1.65 : 1

i don’t get crazy isomers in my distillation so the acidification from CO2 doesn’t seem to be an issue.

7 Likes

can you fill these with etoh to soak then drain and spin it?

This SOP looks way too fun not to try.

never flooded it, just used it to spin dry biomass.

1 Like

fair enough. couldn’t tell in the pic. you know of any small centrifuges that can be flooded?

Have you read any/all of the spinner threads.

We’ve explored this…

Edit: try Spinzall

4 Likes

yea I’ve read through those, should have been more specific. I’m looking for one that i can flood for etoh soaks but smaller and cheaper than the cup. haven’t seen any like that yet. that cup is over 30k if i remember right. I’m doing the salad spinner tek atm

Then you missed it.

In spinzall.

http://deepaliunited.com/Home/LBC1000

Second post. Not 100% certain it’s floodable.

They list it for filtration. Understand there is not picture. Did re-read all of those threads to point you at it. Didn’t think you needed much more than

Because it was the second post…and the majority of the thread.

1 Like

I kinda flood my panda. I scoop ethanol soaked biomass, fill up my work bag 3/4 full, it drains a bit. Have helper hold panda, spin spin spin. Repeat repeat repeat.

200+ gallons so far thru 1 panda. Zero issues. Not even a broken spout.
Knock on wood

3 Likes

yea i saw spinzall and immediately went to the next thread because i had already looked into that a while back, didn’t realize the thread was mostly about a different product

hell yea

2 Likes

10kg is more than twice what the Cup15 will spin. Not quite what the 30will swing.

So your asking for a “cheap” fuge how big?

The search on “spinner” as advised above will give you some background. check the classifieds.

No. I have not used that machine. I’ve used a small 1.5/2lb chinese machine with a ~12”x 5” rotor. Did about 3600rpm if I recall. No idea on its providence at this point. It was quite similar to the one I pointed you at.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Winterizing with n2 instead of vac?

damn thanks bro missed that 1000g one. have you used that one personally? wish they made something more like a 10kg size. i know a stainless steel fabricator that told me he could make it for 3-6k but I’d rather buy one that already has all the problems worked out

It needs a job, but your post gave me an idea, so it may see service again soon enough.

I would personally be very wary of anything designed for this job that was made that cheap. Given enough time and a machine shop, I could probably assemble one that was safe for about that cost. I definitely couldn’t make one and sell it and get paid for my time.

3 Likes

they’re a small machine shop in the country that has a plasma cutting table and all kinds of equipment, i was gonna get a new washing machine and rip the perforated basket out then they were gonna build everything around that. not a very complicated design but i didn’t know what types of bearings to use that are for ethanol. was going to put an axel in it that connects to an ac/dc motor

but don’t you want a perforated basket?!?

1 Like

i wanted to use the basket from a washing machine and build the centrifuge around that basket. it’s a pretty simple design idk why the cup ones are so expensive

the basket is the most time consuming piece to build

gotcha.

you’ll probably want to understand the physics behind why Bock builds their rotors so heavy (link upthread).

pull apart any of the Chinese “hemp” luges, you’ll see a similar approach.

Delta makes their rotors a little lighter…but they don’t have the 100 years experience that Bock/NSEP does.

the rotors in most washers are very lightly build in comparison.

3 Likes

ill check those out. does the shorter heavier rotor cause more centrifical force so it drains liquids easier? yea that’s why i was just going to use the basket, everything else definitely needs to be a different design. was thinking a larger stainless container slightly bigger than the basket with a sealable lid and a tri clamp connection on the bottom, an axel connected to the basket and a motor and some quality bearings that the basket sits on or electromagnets along the rim with bearings