Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

I have their old version with gauges.

You can get KNF to 1/4" NPT to attach a larger orifice vacuum hose. You can also mod it to work with triclamp.

BVV also makes a stainless one but it’s a little more price wise

You could get a stainless ice bucket with a minium of 4" diameter modified to have a triclamp top and however many holes you want drilled into it for ports and then you can get a 6" triclamp base and a 6" to 4" reducer put the modified ice bucket with pre drilled ports into the 6" base and make sure it’s a flat bottom base with a 1" or 2" port on the side match up the pre-made ports on the modified stainless 4" ice bucket and there ya go a cold trap that would be expensive to make but neat to see be made.

personally if you’re small use and not industrial just get a simple bvv one and modify as needed

I was misunderstanding the purpose of a cold trap. I have a diaphragm pump so what I was really trying to do is recover my solvent.

2 Likes

How much ethanol are you trying to recover? Gallons? Liters?

1 Like

If you’re trying to adjust color while in ethanol, then you were pointed at the correct answer as the very first response:

Go back and check it out…

Read it a couple or three times and I believe you’ll have answers to most of the question you just asked.

Is sounds like you’ve been reading of CRC, most of which is only applicable in a non-polar solvent.

5 Likes
1 Like

At most 1L at a time.

I read that already, 3 times. Nowhere does it state at what temp I bake the bentonite or how long.

1 Like

I’m in the process of reading all that. I’ve read a bunch of it though, and all the reading is what created more questions. And then you all just point me back to the same shit I’ve already read. Which didn’t answer my questions in the first place.

google says 800c but that just seems unsafe

1 Like

Can we drop a spoon :octopus: for the bentonite question of baking it.

Cause now that has me wondering what the fuck is up with that as well.

mentions bad rubber smell when not baking bentonite. So what’s the general consensus on the baking temp?

Come on man. I literally was searching for hours trying to find the bake temp. How is that a spoon? If the info is buried under a thousand posts doing a search isn’t going to help that much now is it? Unless you want to spend all day searching and reading, which I do not have the time to do. And I doubt anyone else has the time to do either.

I read this thread too, this is the thread that had me wondering if all the filter medias change the taste of the end product.

I found this but this isn’t the same bentonite.

Fair enough.

To answer that, my search query was “@Photon_noir bake” which lead me to this thread started by one of our dearly departed…

Because I’m pretty sure @Photon_noir gives explicit process instructions somewhere on baking of the magic dirt.

Possibly the opaline silica thread.

My response would be 150C o/n under vac. I think we have our oven all the way up. Reasonably sure we’re not baking anything but our molsieves these days.

Did you catch what the Bentonite is doing? (Catching…)

Does is need to be baked for that purpose? (Nope)

I have performed this trick many times without baking the T5, and it worked as expected each and every time. Not saying it isn’t better to have the last bit of moisture removed, but it is not necessary for performing it at the scale and frequency you will be doing this. I could filter nealry 100 gallons of tincture without seeing dimishing returns on the same bed of T5 and AC.

See now how in the hell would I have known to put @photon_noir in the search query? No one would have known that except the people who already knew. And none of those threads really dive into whether AC removes thca or not. It’s looking like since I use .5um duda sheets I don’t really need bento? Since All I’m trying to do is remove color?

1 Like

Fuck I don’t have a vac oven. All I got is my regular oven.

I used 0.02um below the media bed, and if you only have a thin layer of AC (1/8-1/4"), there should be no loss of potency. I never experienced any loss, and we tested the tincture before and after filtration.

In my experience, the best color I’ve ever gotten was from fresh frozen flower, bho, I’d imagine the same would apply to ethanol extraction.
Grow it yourself. Freeze/chill the heck outta everything, solvent, all things equipment related and your material. Extract it as cold as you can (-35/40°c is an ideal target but the temperature of a household deep freezer works wonders too) that’s if you want the best color you can get without messing around with remediation or purchasing quality lab equipment… all you really need is quality material to make a quality extract. (If that’s what you want, is that color).

Also, i’d listen to @cyclopath and read what he suggests, he’s helped me learn a lot, very fast too. He knows his stuff and he’s spending his time to help you.

1 Like