Distilling Rosin? Yeah?

So there’s no benefit to distilling pure rosin over just for example ethanol washing the fresh flower and distilling that instead?

All helpful info

1 Like

Do mean this?

Rosin as a crude, then spd it? If so, then end result is distillate.

I’m not sure I’m following

2 Likes

That’s correct. Is there any benefit to distilling straight rosin? Since I have access to it.

1 Like

Over another extraction method.

1 Like

Imo, being a former squishier, rosin will leave a lot of cannanaboids behind.

But if you take all your rosin, you MUST winterize it. By adding ethanol (or methanol of your equipped), winterized said rosin. Take that and put it in your spd bf.

But imo, that’s a lot of work for the same disty resukt you just could have etoh washed biomass and washed 90% of cannanaboids out vs leaving 20% (estimated) in rosin pucks.

6 Likes

Rosin to Distillate?

the only advantage is bragging rights.
ie “solventless!”. which has it’s place.

@Demontrich is correct, you should almost certainly winterize before distillation, which will make lies of your solventless appellation…and the overall yield from flower to distillate will be significantly less than doing a QWET as your primary extraction.

@beaker did an awesome job, and kept it solvent free.

and @blackie already pointed you there…

3 Likes

That has its place.

Suppositories are a pretty good drug delivery method, especially for people who can’t keep edibles/pills down.

3 Likes

His first few photos don’t appear in the post so it’s hard to follow what he’s referring to. Also @Demontrich I intend on alcohol or ethanol washing the pucks to grab the remaining stuff in there. I thought with a greater portion of it being rosin, more terps would be preserved until dist.

1 Like

@CannabisBlacklist care to explain the benefits of the Boof?

4 Likes

Yep. We lost @Beaker to cancer…and haven’t managed to recover all his teachings.

The sublimator he used is up for auction right now @Beakers sublimator: Sold and I should probably close bids in the next day or so…

Currently looks like @CuriousChemist22 has the high bid…

5 Likes

Personally I would rather vape a distillate and HTFSE blend, but dab hash rosin.
Best of both worlds or Best of two evils.

5 Likes

Not having to smoke lol. Jokes aside I wouldn’t boof anything

3 Likes

If your going to distill an extract, your seperating the terps and everything else besides thc/CBD. That’s whole point of spd.

1 Like

@Demontrich If I were to winterize, do I NEED a rotovap or will a dist setup work to remove the solvent? Can you tell I’m new to this? :innocent:

1 Like

RIP Beaker :frowning: What a great thread of his! Anyways hit the search bar friend, that will work wonders, and then ask some questions. I honestly can’t see anyone having access to more rosin than a solvent extract first of all. Also, it would be pointless to winterize in solvent if you’re squishing in the first place… there are much more efficient ways to achieve a crude extract. The short answer to your question is no you don’t NEED a rotovap but you wouldn’t wanna use an SPD I can tell ya that much.

3 Likes

No one’s hating on rosin carts. It’s just that if you’re making rosin you’re already at a clean level because it’s a 100% solventless method. However, if you’re trying to make distillate you should obtain a fair amount of crude via CLS or EtoH Bucket Tek then work thru the steps to make distillate.

2 Likes

Lmao you know theirs a reason a Corvette’s base sticker price is 80,510 and a Lamborghini’s is 200.000.
The word solventless means I can charge double or even triple what you CLS guy’s can with all your cleaning,scrubbing and lets not forget de-gumming methods to make a safe smokeable consumer product not hatting just saying.

Now in the rosin community theirs been advancements in how to apply different pressures with lower temps to pull different fractions. As the state I live in just went legal and started accepting license a lab should open up in a few months and I plan on having my different fractions tested to see just what they consist of beings I’m going all legal beagle in my retirement.

Let me lay this at your feet Son. To win the game one must make a FULL Circle not a HALF Moon I will give you a brief explanation I was the kid in grade school that brought the Sour Apple and Grape bubblegum squares for a nickel and sold it to you for a quarter I also had Jolly Ranchers and Cinnamon tooth picks. In Jr High I had weed and speed so forth and so on.

In short let me say that rosin collection will not be my only method of extraction. Im also planning on using the bucket tek as well as doing a cold water ice extraction as different trichomes require different extraction methods to maximize their yield. For example my Colombian Ripper when pressed yields less than 5% rosin but when I do an bubble wash I get 17%. Now I would like to see what she would yield using the bucket tek. Yes I am having David make me a wide bore spd you know got to be a Player :upside_down_face::sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Really if that was the case I would have lipid pneumonia as I’ve been dabbing lipids for years.

4 Likes

No you don’t need a RotoVap but it will allow you to reclaim your alcohol. This past winter I was looking for a way to reclaim the left over rosin from my pucks and I did my own make shift bucket tek and I just evaporated my alcohol off using the double boiler method.

2 Likes

if you really think that your gonna be in for a rude awaking. LOL 2-3x hahaha.

This is gonna be a interesting SPD thread. Im really looking forward to seeing it.

I didnt really get your full circle not half moon analogy though and to call BHO diamonds a corvette to your rosin the Lamborghini…i think you might have those reversed homie. Your “solentless” tag is really only popular in the “rosin community”. I personally dont know any people that still smoke rosin.

i wish you all the luck bro. Im not hating just trying to help but you seem to have it all figured out. Ill sit back, enjoy the show and learn something.

15 Likes