Distilling Rosin? Yeah?

If I’m wrong please correct me. Distillate is a result of something that’s been distilled, which would insinuate a solvent having been used, no?

1 Like

I could also be wrong. But I don’t think a solvent is required.

You can distill water. But I guess water is also a “universal solvent”.

purify (a liquid) by vaporizing it, then condensing it by cooling the vapor, and collecting the resulting liquid.

2 Likes

Do you guys realize that rosin carts could just as easily be the cause of lipid pneumonia?

There are ways to clean the fats off rosin but like @qma said I don’t think you rosin boys (and girls) are running a sophisticated enough tek yet.

You must remove the lipids to be able to make the cleanest meds possible

9 Likes

You have to remove the vape cart to get the cleanest meds possible.

9 Likes

Sure, but that is a bit too idealist.

3 Likes

If you are gonna distil it, you will end up with ppm anyways. Now lets face a real fact:

A couple hundred ppm of butane is far safer than a couple parts per hundred (1-10%) waxes. Those waxes that get removed CAN kill you. The solvents can’t.

There is literally nothing cleaner about rosin carts. They are the lowest denominator. This is why they are uncommon.

Worst price
Worst yield
Worst visual appeal
Most labor
Worst taste
Lowest potency
Wookest fan club

22 Likes

Oh man "wookest fanclub "

That’s gonna be my rosin company name

12 Likes

Now the posts above me are rosin hate.
See the difference :joy::rofl::joy:.

I already trademarked Wookiest fanclub. :man_shrugging:t3:

10 Likes

absolutely. so long as you don’t add a solvent.

certainly no need to add any solvents in order to vaporize then condense the cannabinoids.

3 Likes

I tried telling someone just that in another forum. Apparently rosin trumps disty (lmfao!)

Kinda had to exit out before I go off on another uninformed person over there.

If you made your distillate, there should be zero bs left in it.

2 Likes

no.

you can remove the solvent from your cannabinoids via distillation (if you added some at some previous point), or you can distill the cannabionods themselves…no solvent required.

4 Likes

next you’ll be telling folks that the only safe way to use their meds is to stick them up their ass :rofl:

8 Likes

Yeah that’s kinda like talking to the marketing folks who claim CO2 extracted distillate is superior because it’s solventless all the while ignoring the whole winterization discussion. You just have to shake your head and walk away. There are even store chains who believe that hype as well and refuse to carry any product that wasn’t extracted with CO2. Knuckleheads…

4 Likes

So there’s no benefit to distilling pure rosin over just for example ethanol washing the fresh flower and distilling that instead?

All helpful info

1 Like

Do mean this?

Rosin as a crude, then spd it? If so, then end result is distillate.

I’m not sure I’m following

2 Likes

That’s correct. Is there any benefit to distilling straight rosin? Since I have access to it.

1 Like

Over another extraction method.

1 Like

Imo, being a former squishier, rosin will leave a lot of cannanaboids behind.

But if you take all your rosin, you MUST winterize it. By adding ethanol (or methanol of your equipped), winterized said rosin. Take that and put it in your spd bf.

But imo, that’s a lot of work for the same disty resukt you just could have etoh washed biomass and washed 90% of cannanaboids out vs leaving 20% (estimated) in rosin pucks.

6 Likes

Rosin to Distillate?

the only advantage is bragging rights.
ie “solventless!”. which has it’s place.

@Demontrich is correct, you should almost certainly winterize before distillation, which will make lies of your solventless appellation…and the overall yield from flower to distillate will be significantly less than doing a QWET as your primary extraction.

@beaker did an awesome job, and kept it solvent free.

and @blackie already pointed you there…

3 Likes

That has its place.

Suppositories are a pretty good drug delivery method, especially for people who can’t keep edibles/pills down.

3 Likes