Distillate honey/ corn syrup

hey guys,

i was looking to start doing a THC marzipan with corn syrup or honey as the part of the recipe that gets medication.

can i just heat the honey+disty on a heating plate with a magnetic stirrer to homogenize it or will that not work without some fats to bond to??

thank you in advance!

1 Like

Not sure how honey and marzipan intersect but it should be fine. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in, I have more experience formulating with cbd (which crashes out of honey in every honey stick I’ve seen)

3 Likes

found a recipe that used honey or corn syrup to stick it together as opposed to egg whites…idk, im new to this particular product any pointers or better ideas are greatly appreciated!

have also heard that about the problem with cbd crashing out…i only know it works somehow with THC cuz some dispensaries around here sell it!

thank you, gonna give it a shot pretty lightly medicated & see how it works out!

1 Like

Oh cbd crashing out of honey sticks did nothing to discourage sales. Those will sell cause they exist.

Worst case you can make a small batch and send it off for testing, but I’d hazard a guess you have a great chance of decent consistency doing what you describe. Mix well and don’t let the mixed honey thc sit for long?

2 Likes

Fortunately those are two of the easiest non-lipids to infuse. Both the honey and corn syrup have an affinity for cannabis, at least THC dominant, and are excellent carriers. Corn syrup has a bad reputation so honey gets most of the exposure for edibles. And lecithin isn’t needed for emulsification.

Definitely make a small batch first. I suggest that you warm your honey or corn syrup on your magnetic stirrer. Once it’s flowing well you can add your distillate and continue heating. The word I have is that cannabiniods become molten around 180°F and meld into the carrier. Could be fact or fiction but I’ve seen it several places. Continue stirring and maybe let it reach 200° before removing. If you have an immersion blender use that for a couple of minutes for best disbursement. You’ll need to get that temp up there.

You could always use lecithin but you may not want that for your marzipan. I normally would dissolve it in alcohol to get a better disbursement and evaporating it off.

I never thought of marzipan. That’s a great idea. I may steal that from you some day. I could really go for some marzipan desserts. I just looked at those recipes. You should have no trouble with it.

5 Likes

awesome, thank you! thats a bit hotter than ive been mixing active material with vegetable oil/butter but i’ll try it small batch. im only a little concerned about the sugar content burning at that hot.

right! was my highdea of the day. something i havent seen yet too. i figure if i can make this work and infuse it it would be a delicious and easy base for many other edibles as well as a standalone product.

2 Likes

I’m interested and have been working with this idea for a few weeks. Going to try some high cbd:cbg bars and honey is my sugar sweetner.

Isolates is what I’m using for those and if I can get some good d8 I’ll be making some goods of that too.

2 Likes

500ml beaker in a oil bath temp at 180F
Stick blender and add w250g honey 5g liquid sunflower lecithin 10g distillate and .5ml flavoring
Blend until you see it turn almost white gold. Continue heating for 5 minutes or until bubbles leave.
Bottle hot or keep in beaker idk works nice for baking

9 Likes

The heat is no problem but you don’t want to go over 200°F for very long just to prevent crystallization. The infusion is much easier than with making syrups because you’re making it into other foods and it doesn’t have to be as pretty.

There’s no need for the higher temperature with lipids because cannabis is oil soluble. It’s only carried by the honey or corn syrup so disbursement is your main concern, not bonding. Since you’re using distillate concentrate you need more heat.

I make honey all the time and never had any problems with heat or anything else.

4 Likes

awesome. thank you very much for explaining that! cant wait to see what happens with it tmrw!

think itd work just as well on a heating plate? i dont have an oil bath but may be able to access one at work if needed

also what kind of flavoring would you recommend for this mixture?

thank you!

He’s referring to a water bath or double boiler is another name.
Anything hot, serrano is what I like.

3 Likes

ohh i see, alright thanks!

That’s easy peasy thanks for saving me some time just with this.

Broski save yourself headaches and get a sous vide off ebay for under 100

I worked as a wine director in fine dining in a major city and sous vide use cracks me up back in 2010 a sous vide was 3k for commercial use the one I have can do anything those recipes called for and some and are now being used for everything cannabis related and I love that shit

1 Like

dope, never heard of it but ill check that out thank you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sous-Vide-Precision-Cooker-Digital-Circulator-800W-/254005882152?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I have two of these only I use 20L cabro containers to hold distillate for carts, gummy mixes, anything that needs temp

I’m high as fuck just clarity I use hot water baths with the sous vide to hold my Mason jars or squirt bottles lol

3 Likes

I like citrus flavored honey but i use it to bake with so… meshes well in recipe for orange cranberry muffin and princess cakes lol

Use some orange oil, lemon oil or like a mix of em… i use to use peels to steep my honey but im lazy now. I just use oil from the peel

Another fun thing to do is dry the honey out with maltodextrin have to keep it dry tho as it will pull humidity @greenmountaingold you might ve able to packet it and seal in a low humidity environment for people to pour into tea or preferably a sugary liquid like sweet tea

4 Likes

The easiest way that I have found to infuse my deserts and such is by infusing sugar itself

1 Like

I tried this months ago, it absolutely did not turn out well. The oils don’t blend together at all, you’re merely dispersing it through the honey, but the concentrate isn’t dissolving.

I took honey to about 200’f, mixed in lecithin and bho. Kept it on the heat and stirred for a while.
It looked great, the honey colored bho looked like it dissolved. Let it cool, planned on eating it by the spoon full. Would take a spoon and lick off the honey, it was crazy thick because I used real unfiltered honey. As I licked it off I would be left with a real resin taste and feel in my mouth, like i was coating my mouth in bho. Once I got down to the spoon there was little specs and globs of bho stuck to the spoon. That’s what I was tasting in my mouth. The sugary honey dissolved in your mouth, leaving behind the undissolved globs of bho. Without a lipid carrier to bind to, the thc doesn’t really dissolve and homogenize with the honey, it simply looks like it because they’re both the same color. In order to make a good honey/syrup you need some form of lipid carrier, and more then a tiny bit of lecithin.

1 Like