Cutting shatter bho with terpenes sop

Just wanted opinions on diluting bho shatter with Terps for carts. My way of doing it, to make the shatter a viscosity that works in cartridges, is a ratio of .5ml of Terps to 1gram of shatter. All the other posts have a percentage ratio. If I’m using true terpenes I use .25ml of flavored Terps and .25ml of TT viscosity to 1g of shatter. I’ve also used holy terp’s pure line of like fruity flavors at the same .5 ml terp to 1g shatter. Let me know what I’m doing wrong or what you do!

Edit
I also try to decarb a little on the stirring hot plate to try and discourage crystalization in the cartridge. Check out my Instagram for some pics of the recent batch I did @dabstractions

4 Likes

you’re using a percentage ratio too…
you’re adding 50% of initial volume.
for a final 33% terps.

if you search for “diluent” you’ll find most of the other related threads, and can see what others have said on the subject.

eg Floraplex Terpene Diluent Free Samples for Future4200 members!

7 Likes

Subbed

I have a batch of bho incoming a client wants made into vape carts.

1 Like

I’d recommend first make a tincture that can go in vape pen so it’s all even. Then seperate into as many flavors you going to make them add the desired terps in each ones.

Okay yeah I see the math now duh! Haha. 33% seems like way too much but it’s the only way I can get the shatter thin enough to flow in a ccell cart. I dont wanna use other cutting agents, like mct, pg, vg, is there anything wrong with what I’m doing?

Did u make the bho? Add the Terps before you purge the solvent off. If you’ve made diamonds before, I’d add them at the level you would normally cap at

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 Adding terps to shatter? You can actually do that?

2 Likes

Yes sir terpenes are solvents too

4 Likes

I do make the bho and I have made diamonds so would adding some Terps in when I put the lid on the jar, make the sauce at the end more thin of a liquid? But I would also be crashing out thca which would make my carts less potent than just diluting shatter

Well yes you can add it to your diamonds.

But what I meant is: skip cold crash, add Terps (and maybe some decarbed oil) at solvent level when you would normally cap jar. Dont cap jar. Swirl in a clockwise motion. If you’re in new Zealand, swirl in a counter clockwise motion. Purge solvent to -20 hg at 85 f . Good luck

6 Likes

This may help you guys. I provided guidance on using our terps, diluent, and shatter. And Baked-All-Day cut shatter with our terpene blend and Terpene Diluent.

3 Likes

Could I get a sample from floraplex? So far I’ve used holy Terps pure line and true terpenes. I also work at a grow store in Michigan that sells true terpenes. Maybe we could also start carrying floraplex? No guarantees but it’s possible

3 Likes

Hey Dab!

Sure, we’ll get you a really nice sample pack, including our Terpene Diluent. I’d send some hot chocolate too if I could, considering how cold MI has been this week :coffee: . Send me your address by DM or you can email us if you feel more comfortable.

7 Likes

If you dewax and decarbed the bho you can add most of the weight loss due to decarb back in terpines and you will be close to the right viscosity for a vape pen. Should be about 10%

3 Likes

Cough cough.

Cough cough cough.

6 Likes

lol I asked @Killa12345 if this could be good for vape pen cartridges once decarbed

The reason I don’t like bho in cartridges is many folds. Not just one.

First, your gonna need a dilutant and in a much higher % using shatter then using distillate. This decreases the medicinal benefits I can get from a bho cartridge

Second. Most bho isn’t properly dewaxed. So your either gonna have dark cartridges after a little while from burnt waxes or your gonna have clogging issues.

Third. Bho isn’t typically decarbed all the way either. Even if your heating to put terpenes in the mixture. This usually creates flow problems.

Finally. Usually bho is a lower potency than distillate. I’m using all this for medicine. Not for money making. I personally what the highest % of thc/cbd without a malfunctioning cartridge.

Hope this answers why I use distillate rather than bho when cartridge making. If you all want to make cartridges with unwinterized, not decarbed bho, by all means go for it. Im not hear to say what is good and what is bad. Im hear just sharing experiences I’ve had in the past.

14 Likes

I also didn’t say it would need further processing. And it doesn’t come out extremely stable

2 Likes

I’ve had them not turn out so great in the past using bho. Mabey I’ll just sit on it, and just use the disty.

1 Like

I totally agree that disty is the way to go for carts but until I can get a 20k investment for the equipment this is the only way I can make them. I agree with everything that @Killa12345 said. With that being said I’ve made hundreds of bho carts using this method that have sold in a dispensary, with the only complaint being that Crystals were forming in the cart. I solved that by getting the bho up to about 220° for a few min then cooling down to about 150° then adding the Terps

4 Likes