Cutting shatter bho with terpenes sop

so would we need to add color back to get the carts to sell?

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™d sell better than before and tastes better.

7 Likes

If the tests that were in the other crc thread are indicative of what the clear tech has to offer, distillation may be an unnecessary step. Iā€™ve had great luck putting highquality dewaxed decarbed shatter in carts with minimal added terp dilution.

4 Likes

i did some defatted (winterized is same thing, right?) with terps and some defatted without terpsā€¦ didnā€™t really think about the difference, ill have to put one of each aside and try themā€¦ went to distillate after that (with terps)ā€¦

1 Like

my dewaxed/decarbed carts were very dark. the distillate is like a clear honey color.

you should specify fahrenheit or celsius on your temps (default is celsius, but thatā€™s not what youā€™re referencing, right?).

1 Like

Was the starting bho dark?

You pointed out my favorite part of that whole CRC thread. Is distillation even necessary with those kind of high percentages?

4 Likes

I would still think so. I donā€™t think the Crc is pulling out all the waxes and fats. Yes. It does a great job doing a lot. But all. No! Thatā€™s what makes cartridges fail in my experience.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s a better option then normal shatter but I donā€™t think itā€™s gonna be a replacement for distillate in cartridges.

I could be wrong but I feel like distillate has its place despite my least favorite out of the concentrates available to me.

6 Likes

Totally agree. If one was to try to make carts with shatter and use the crc tek, they would definitely have to dewax after more thoroughly. I doubt it replace disty carts either.

Bad material will still be bad material. Just taking out the bad color.

Wait till you try my disty carts. Youā€™ll have a new found love for em.

7 Likes

What if you didnā€™t go full distillation and just stripped volatiles and decarbed and then mixed with sauce for flavor and flow?

1 Like

What we learn with distillation is there is still a lot of shit in there. This is why we use fractional distillation because even between bands there are impurities and stuff we dont wanna smoke.

Trust me @that445guy. Im a hydrocarbon extractor all the way. Distillation really helps remove a ton of stuff filtering cant. It sucks. I know. I didnt want to spend $5k on a short path setup so i can take crude to presentable product to smoke, but if your trying to make cartridges and dont want the headaches. Distillate as a base is almost necessary. Just my opinion and im sure many can correct me and will say Full spectrum oil is acceptable too, but i like distillate as the main ingredient for making cartridges.

5 Likes

I guess itā€™s not the mo ey itā€™s the time that Iā€™m looking to avoid, it still takes me half a day or better to run my 250ml test setup I bought to learn and fuck around with. I guess I just donā€™t see much difference between bho using the CRC tech coming out at 92%+ and going through all the extra steps to get it to 96-98%. If you can decarb and strip volatiles I bet youā€™d be close to the same potency without the distillation.

5 Likes

Can i try some? :open_mouth:

1 Like

@hispeed67 my bad your right i defaulted to farenheit. My hot plate is in celcius but im just used to using the farenheit scale lol

Ive never had an issue with my carts clogging up. The best tasting cart i ever had was ones that i filled with the liquid from making crystals. That being said i dewax as best i can but i know im not doing what i should be. I think with the crc tek and cutting with terps would be more of a cart that works good and any one can make. The problem with distillate is that theres so much out there that has impurites. Kinda like what @Killa12345 said. And those impuritys (im not a scientist) ā€œcould beā€ altered molecules that were ok to smoke but have now changed through the distillation process into something you dont wanna smoke. (Please correct me if im wrong i know the idea behind distillation is to not change molecular structure, but it does happen right?)

4 Likes

Also i love distillate carts i just think theres alot going on a molecular scale especially with grows still using pesticides thats all

1 Like

I know what you mean but I have to say my self made carts donā€™t have to hide behind disti carts.
I have winterized, strong filtered and vacuumed ethanol extract. No clogging (orinigal ccell th205), little cut (4-5% viscosity and 4-6% terps. My friends mostly prefer mine over distiā€¦
I think its more about how careful people work on their product then about the name of it

7 Likes

Are you guys that are using raw or live decarbing all the way or just enough to get the terps infused and to the right consistency? I was always worried and tried to prevent decarbing but it seems itā€™s not too much of an issue for carts?

It has to be decarbed to get the customer high. That certainly happens when itā€™s heated when they take a hit.

Distillate carts are ostensibly 100% decarbed when loaded.

Can you define what you are trying to avoid & why?!?

Decarbing is certainly one way to reduce viscosity. Cheaper that buying diluentā€¦

2 Likes