Co2 terp extraction

Thanks! Yeh I found the quality is better right on the cusp of sub and supercritical. Density is lower which may not help the yield, but the quality is usually better. It’s the way I do my “turd polishing”. Hahah

1 Like

I actually go supercritical for terps, despite what some people are suggesting. No disrespect intended, but the photos being posted look quite a bit darker than what I pull. The key i’ve found is to understand the density of CO2 that you are extracting with. Less dense yields is more selective extraction. Thats why the CO2 terps i pull are clear to piss yellow even though I’m running supercritical fluid. I also collect a 2nd fraction in my 2nd sep which is lesser quality, but still good for certain applications.

5 Likes

@e3gordon Those are very similar to my parameters. I run a bit hotter, but I bet those parameters run good too! Heres comparison photos running at around 80f vs 89f (right is 89f). I run just barely supercritical, but still technically low density supercritical. Ive found it produces better quality, but a little less yield. Then I run coldish ethanol for cannabinoids, because I don’t time for CO2 cannabinoid extraction. That shit takes forever… hahaha and the quality and yields are worse than just scrubbing ethanol crude.

4 Likes

This is around 87°F

4 Likes

Hi there, new to this forum. I was looking to try co2 extraction of terpenes, I have found a lot of great info on here in terms of setpoints, but not much info in terms of how long to extract for. People are mentioning how many minutes, but not including the co2 flow rate. I believe the amount of co2 has a great effect on the yield; for instance a 1 kg/min pump will take much longer than a 15 kg/min pump to produce the same yield. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how much co2 per kg of biomass to use for a terpene run?

Also, I am wondering about the use of these terpenes after collection. Once they are collected, and the water is removed using a sep funnel, are they then ready to be mixed with distillate for final formulation, or does more purification need to be done? If so, what is this procedure like?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Depending on your terpene extraction parameters, they should be good to mix with your distillate if you want strain specific terps, unless you are doing a subcritical terpene run, then you will most likely have a good amount of cannabinoids and fats in your terp fraction. Otherwise, steam distillation is an option for isolating some of the specific terpenes.

What kind of CO2 are you running or looking to run?

1 Like

I was thinking of attempting to extract the terpenes using supercritical CO2. I am concerned that there might be water in the remaining terpene solution, and don’t want that mixed with distillate.

As for removing the fats, is it possible to freeze the solution and filter out them out similar to winterization (but without a solvent)?

When you get your terp fraction, there will also be water in the form of hydrosol (water with minor amount of encapsulated terpenes), but the two are immiscible. Pour the fraction into a separatory funnel and you will see the separation of the oil layer (terpenes) at the top and the water layer (hydrosol) at the bottom. You may have small amounts of water encapsulated into the oil layer (w/o emulsion) but very minor.

Removing fats, you could try centrifuging it but even procedures I have seen still involve using alcohol so its not a true solventless winterization.

Fat content also depends on if you are running Sub critical or super critical cannabinoid parameters.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I currently use alcohol to winterize the cannabinoid fraction but I was under the impression that mixing the terpene fraction with alcohol and running through the rotovap would damage the terpenes. Correct me if I am wrong. I will likely try the separatory funnel and centrifuge option.

I have not tried extracting a terpene fraction yet, but had planned on using supercritical CO2 around 80 bar and 40C for my initial trial based on what I have read on this forum. Would you recommend sub critical over supercritical for the terpene extraction? Also, any recommendations on setpoints for the separation vessels would be appreciated.

That is correct, something you can do but better to keep it simple. A super critical terp run does not require much post processing. The separatory funnel will suffice for separating terps from hydrosol. Based on your parameters, your solvent density looks good, should be a good initial trial for you.

Sub critical terpene runs are a little more tricky. You will be stripping cannabinoids and waxes as well as the terpenes, so your post processing refinement can get a little tricky.

In my experience, I’ve done sub critical runs for extracting cannabinoids with the terpenes for a “true full spectrum” or “true strain-specific” co2 extract but never for fractioning terpenes.

Separation vessel parameter 44 bar, 45 C… What i have used.

2 Likes

This man has the proper understanding.

1 Like

damage? no.

However, the boiling point of ethanol is higher than than some (many) of your terpenes, so you will lose (a percentage of) them when you remove the ethanol.

this damages the profile, but does not damage the terpenes.

5 Likes

Good question! I know the new diaphragm pumps that come with the apeks units are much better than the previous gas boosters they were using. Not sure the exact kg/min though. Ill have to check the manual and get back to you on that one.

2 Likes

New tech. Better color and aroma. Almost to water clear at 89F with no detected cannabinoids. Supercritical terpene runs are the way. Not sure why the popular opinion is subcritical. I’m actually glad some folks don’t take me seriously on here. Their loss :joy:

17 Likes

they look fire :fire: :fire: man nice job! Care to share anymore info besides just supercritical?

1 Like

Sure why not. I run an apeks transformer so all of this info is in reference to that unit.

1st step. Clean the fuck out of your machine every run (like spotless clean). Best way to keep a clean machine is to never for cannabinoids with CO2 (use ethanol instead). For more info on how to do that check out the “hold my beer” thread.

2nd run the following parameters.
#37 orifice
1090-1100 psi
Extractor columns at 89f exactly (this is critical. A single degree off and you’re on your way to making :tangerine: to :poop:, and you’ll pull through THC. I don’t regulate the separator temps because that’s not necessary. My heater is connected to both columns and separators. Don’t let anyone tell you to buy 2 separate heaters, it’s a waste of your $$.

I run 5lbs for 1-1.5 hours. I usually don’t recommend going over 2 hours regardless of load size. You’ll start pulling pigments, waxes, and THC beyond that time period. Also anything beyond 2 hours is a waste of your time IMO. No run should ever take longer than that regardless of the solvent.

And well thats it… super simple.

Most people have issues because the actually use these machines to extract cannabinoids. Then they aren’t super diligent about cleaning filters ect, and crusty poo poo and pigments come through and contaminate your terps.

Going to sell my custom system CO2/cold ethyl here by the end of the year. Full PSI certs and all. I’m switching to hydrocarbons so I won’t need this unit after I build out that lab. If you know anyone who maybe interested feel free to let me know!

12 Likes

Thanks dude! Much appreciated.

I don’t pull through any hydrosol or cannabinoids on my terpene runs. I put in ground weed, and pull out straight terps. No THC contamination is ever detected in my terps. I run in house HPLC to confirm. If you’re ok pulling through hydrosol or cannabinoids you may need to take a 2nd look at your parameters.

4 Likes

Thanks brother! keep up the hard work :metal: :metal:

1 Like

Thanks my dude Also! Here’s another little secret I’ve been keeping for a while.

If you don’t wanna build out or buy a custom system you can always run terps, pull out the weed, and proceed with my good buddy @TheLostBiologist 's bucket tech. That method is also very feasible and practical. You just need dry :ice_cube: which is only a slight downside.

1 Like