Solvent Free Winterization of CO2 Extract

Hi All,

I have an interesting question, perhaps it’s been asked and I didn’t do a good job in the search bar—if so, apologies.

I want to dewax CO2 extract without the introduction of additional solvents. Is there any way to do this with ultra-low temperatures filtered at high pressure?

Some other kind of new tek that hasn’t been explored deeply?

Any input is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Edit: Title, made it too sciency

5 Likes

I thought there is a new centrifuge extraction that makes almost pure cannabinoid extractions

1 Like

uses solvents but minimal processing with high purification

Following, interested in the same topic. There has to be a way to winterize/dewax without solvents.

Edit: Think about changing the title, I did not expect that question

Hey Phil,

I’m a long time lurker here, never posted before but it’s never too late right? I run a legal CO2 extraction lab in WA state that does winterization/short path distillation as well.

The answer will depend heavily on how your CO2 extract looks coming out of the machine, as well as what machine/parameters you run. If you want to dewax without adding additional solvent, the best way is to try and limit what waxes/lipids/fats make it through to the initial crude pull. Up here in WA Puffin prides themself on their method to make a raw oil that isnt super crazy waxy, but it still “jellies” up at room temp and colder if you know what I mean. Their strategy is to only run full buds in their extraction vessel, because adding trim/grinding your flower creates tons of easy access sites for the supercritical CO2 to pull waxes from. If you want to talk more about methods and parameters to run that are less selective for waxes we can delve into that as well.

When it comes to tek for post processing without solvents, there is really not much published online. If you have a really waxy crude oil, you will definitely not be able to filter it at a cold temperature, no matter how much pressure you put on it. If your crude has enough terpenes in it to be fluid, then that will help a LOT. A combination of light heat and vacuum filtration does seem to work okay from my experiments, but it takes a long time. I personally think the best results will come from using some sort of heated centrifuge to provide just enough heat to mobilize the extract, and then relying on the G forces to pelletize the waxes in the bottom of the tube.

5 Likes

Phil, I have often wondered about your question as well. For years, since 2014, I have heard anecdotes that if one adjusts the CO2 pressure (subcritical) and temperature (ambient or so), the waxes, fats, lipids, can be selectively excluded from the extract oil. We tried some adjustments with CO2 pressure and temp, but we didn’t exhaustively investigate the options. In short, we did not find the right conditions to avoid winterization of the crude oil. Our SOP was to winterize in EtOH: crude oil, 3:1, -15 C to -20 C, overnight; centrifuge at 9K rpm, 45 min; filter (Buchner, paper filter, no. 1).
As a side note, EtOH extraction at -40 C is said to selectively exclude waxes, fats, chlorophylls, such that winterization can be avoided; but yes, I know you have already made the capital investment in CO2 equipment. Just to cover the entire picture. (Capna Systems, Eden Labs (EtOH Extraction)). Best to you.

1 Like

I’ve very interested in pulling less waxes into my supercritical c02 sending you a dm

Run subcritical. Around 350psi. This will immobilize fats and waxes.

… Is it even liquid at that pressure?

Absolutely. 80 psi is usually the freeze point. The idea is to get as close to making dry ice as possible. You will need more co2 flow to achieve complete extraction, but the product is 100x better.