CBD Crystallization

For myself anyways it had helped adding VG clarity stayed the same taste only change slightly but I fixed that by adding abit more terps into the mix .

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help everyone !

1 Like

What %cbd by mass is your starting material?

Okay so are you calculating yield in the traditional chemical sense or calculating % yield by weight. For example, if you have 100 grams of starting material are you isolating 80 grams or 64 grams?

1 Like

Okay you are better off than most in how you calculate yields. I donā€™t know your process or anything so if you want advice just message me and we can set up a phone call and I can try to help.

1 Like

Will do! Iā€™ve actually tried to message you but Iā€™m new to this forum. How do i go about messaging you directly?

Hi guys. Iā€™ve been working on experimentation with CBD isolate and full spectrum Distillate, and my purpose has been to find the highest potency of CBD I can use for filling vape cartridges. I was at the CBD expo in Anaheim 2 weeks ago and there were a few people there that had stabilized their CBD products at (according to them) 65% and 80%. Maybe they were lying or mistaken, or perhaps in the weeks after the expo their cartridges have crystallized. Or they figured it out, in which case I need to step up my game. 45% is the max threshold I have achieved without crystallization. We are using full spectrum distillate arou d 75% CBD and 6% other cannabinoids.

Does anyone have any successful techniques or information on how to go about getting that potency up?

3 Likes

Pretty sure this has been discussed around here. Have you tried the search function?

eg Triethyl Citrate for CBD Dist Vapes

1 Like

Iā€™m still playing with my formulas, but noticing that having some acidic cannabinoids and terpenoids makes a difference in stability of the mixtureā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to get some tips from you concerning CBD crystallization.
Are you using chromatography?
I do not have a chromatagraph but am looking for some tek on growing CBD crystals using CBD oil and pentane.

2 Likes

Hey howā€™s it going ? I was wondering if I could get some help on CBD crystalization. I would be willing to pay for your time.

CO2 extracted CBD dom. concentrates still have the majority of acid present and it prevents the crystallization from occuring. We went the distillate and ethanol route before we realized we could extract with CO2 and simply add terps to our winterized oil for a finished product in the 55-70% CBD potency range with complete stability.

Decarboxylation is your enemy when it comes to a cartridge worthy CBD product.

6 Likes

Would the heat of a cart not create the appropriate environment for the decarb of CBDa? Leaving you with a variable timeline before crystalization?

2 Likes

Does anybody have a good cartridge recipe that works for combining CBD Isolate powder with a thc distillate (lest assume 99% for simplicity on the math). I am trying to make a 1-1 cartridge but most of the information above seems to relate to the CBD amounts and less about the THC. I want to avoid chrystalization but have no idea how the chemistry works. Is there a % that I can keep the CBD under that we are confident will avoid chrystalization?

For a 1 gram cartridge:

• 400 mg CBD
  • 400 mg THC Distillate
  • The rest of the volume made up in true terpenes

50:50 cartridge ought to be resistant to crystallization. Iā€™ve never seen it happen.

2 Likes

Do you know anything about powder volume? As in if i have 1ml thc distillate and i add 1000mg CBD isolate powder, what that should give me in new volume?

1g (1000mg) of CBD isolate is roughly equivalent to 1ml in volume.

4 Likes

Ask the all knowing one for the density of thc and cbdā€¦

https://www.google.com/search?q=density+of+THC+and+CBD

Or look around here: Density of crude?

4 Likes

You are saying not to decarb and load up a cart with CBD distillite and it will not crystalize?

No.
Distillate is by the nature of its production decarbed.

They are suggesting using raw CO2 crude.

What I donā€™t understand is the concept that extracting CBDA with CO2 is easier than extracting with ethanol. A rotovap or vacuum assisted moonshine still will get the ethanol off without decarbing.

I was also under the impression that decarbing first made cannabinoids more soluble in CO2

@ExTek90? @Plant2pipe?

Edit: I missed. theyā€™re using winterized CO2 oilā€¦

5 Likes

Lots of people decarb biomass prior to CO2 extraction. @cyclopath you are correct that the reason is because the acidic compounds require CO2 to be further into the trans critical state to successfully extract them. So most people decarb to make the extraction ā€œeasierā€ for the machine as well as quicker.

The upside is, you can use lower pressure to extract cannabinoids. Downside is, you lose a vast majority of your terpenes in the decarb process. In the case of CBD meant for vape carts, youā€™re going to have crystallization issues from high CBD content with distillate. Other upside, you wonā€™t have to get the CO2 to a state where it can pull acids that cause isomers.

There are pros and cons to both, but, if the crude is meant for high CBD vape carts, decarbing before the extraction isnā€™t an option to my knowledge. Apparently thereā€™s such a thing as ā€œcrystal resistant distillateā€ but Iā€™m inclined to think thatā€™s only achievable via adding something non native to the plant.

However, CBDA is a bit tough to crystallize, so perhaps thatā€™s the ā€œresistantā€ part.

Edit: I recommend highly that no one put completely raw CO2 oil into anything except edibles and topicals. The amount of waxes pulled by CO2 can lead to lipid based pneumonia, so in the absolute minimum, winterized crude oil.
Iā€™ve heard centrifugal separation of waxes works well with sub-critical runs, but, I donā€™t totally believe it without seeing some data to prove it.

6 Likes