BHO Color Remediation using ethanol?

Hello! My brother and I have been open blasting for a couple years and recently became fascinated by short path distillation. However like most people starting we had little to no prior knowledge of this site and most of our education came from chlorophyll remediation of simple liquids on youtube using a buncher funnel and evaporating and collecting ethanol through a Rotovap. Here is our progress thus far with activated charcoal and DE.

It’s all old trim from last year’s harvest. The consistency is nice, slow rollover and compared to the black and green crap we were smoking before and seeing the color is pretty awesome however I want to see how far I can push it without going as in over our heads as we currently are. I’ve found grm labs color remediation tek I’m about to try but have also found a couple threads about how a large alumia oxide puck cleans up most of everything the celite doesn’t catch. I’m hoping I can get some clearer feedback. Are we on the right path purchasing this filter lineup or am I overthinking the wheel? Below is what I plan on buying this weekend. I purchased my open column from bvv and it works well for what we do but I’ve seen some negative feedback about them from here. Will the media quality matter if I buy from bvv or will it be about the same?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

Welcome to Future! It looks like you’re on the right path in terms of color, however your title is a little misleading since it seems like your question is about color remediation. What question do you have about distillation?

2 Likes

Short Path Distillation, and solvent distillation are 2 different things. What you are doing with the roto is solvent distillation, and not short path. Here is a link using the search term Short Path Distillation. That will give a better idea between what you’re doing, and what you’re thinkng.
Search results for ‘short path distillation’ - Future4200

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Yes you’re very much correct my question is of color remediation not really distillation. I’ll change it in hopes of attracting the right audience

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the link yes I’m still very new to the hobby and moreso the terminology I had no prior knowledge of a difference.

2 Likes

No worries! We were all like that at 1 time, and we welcome the new people here just as much as we welcome the veterans. The search option will help you out a ton as there is info on just about everything, and how to do it here. You just have to be good with your search terms. But if you check out Color Remediation will help you with what you’re currently trying to find info on.

5 Likes

Here’s a thread @Goldendawg, it hasn’t had too much action in awhile, but if you dig, you should find some helpful info.

7 Likes

Extracting stuff you don’t want, then trying to get rid of it after the fact is one approach…

IMO you want to do a better job on your primary extraction.

Colder & faster.

See: It washes the cannabis and then it washes the cannabis some more for some well made crude.

See: Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek for how you might start down that road.

Then read of QWET…

Edit: #%>*#<€. There seems to be more to this confusion…if you’re trying to remediate BHO using ethanol you’re doing it ALL wrong. It’s much easier to remove the color while still in hydrocarbons. See: CRC

5 Likes

No worries: look at it this way:

You’re “recovering solvent” (removing it from your desired product). Yes, you are distilling off the solvent, but, the “product” doesn’t become a gas & then a liquid again, it stays in your pot.

Get more sophisticated (buy an SPD), and distill your cannabinoids, and the product is what goes through the double phase change (and is called “distillate”)

1 Like

Hi there,

It is much harder to remove pigments out of extract that is dissolved in ethanol than it is when dissolved in something non-polar, like butane or pentane. You will see limited results if you purchase those powders with the intent of removing colour from dry BHO dissolved in ethanol. As @cyclopath said, reducing how much pigment you extract during the extraction will be easier. Butane would be a good solvent to remove pigments, but this is really not advised when open blasting.

Do you have access to pentane, and more importantly, do you have the proper laboratory requirements to safely handle pentane?

5 Likes

The tek for this trick IS posted. It is NOT advised. OP of said tek is fortunate to still be with us imo…

Edit: without @Waxplug1’s (completely insane) pioneering work, and goading of the community to figure out what he was doing, CRC would have remained a trade secret of a select few.

6 Likes

Not because B81 is relevant.

Just to tie two “trying to polish in EtOH” together to make exploration easier on those that follow :shushing_face:

1 Like

Is the color in the mother liquor or father rock?

4 Likes

When redissolving extract, what dissolves first?

1 Like

Hi Goldendawg, we supply carbon media imbedded in Cellulose/DE material. We have had good success working with extractors looking to remove color. Our product is not lose so it helps remove the mess from the application and you don’t need to later remove the carbon. Let us know if we can help. Thanks, Greg

:rofl::exploding_head: I think you just coined a new term haha

4 Likes

Here ya go and you’re welcome :octopus:

Ik those are all eho but it’s mainly color remediation and you’re working with ethanol.

Welcome to future4200

1 Like

If the extract is loaded with media together, and then add solvent, shouldn’t it remediate the mother liquor first as it’s the first to dissolve?

1 Like

Make you a 1/4-1/2 inch silica cake for your buchner,
Use an aquarium heater to warm up your ethanol bho mix, put some carbon in (amount depends on clarity you’re looking for) stir, let sit for 20-45 min and warm
Then run it thru the Buchner.
Repeat as needed
Edit* DONT waste money on other chemicals, they’re mostly ment for bho/other solvent remediation not ethanol.

5 Likes

Any updates on how this is going? Someone had mentioned dissolving the BHO in pentane (or other hydrocarbons) rather than ethanol, why is this, does this effect the terp profile? What about heptane as an alternative?

Would these other medias perform better with a hydrocarbon solvent vs ethanol?
What about a winterization for BHO dissolved in ethanol or hydrocarbon solvent; any benefits there?

This community rocks!! I am so grateful to be apart of it, knowledge is power and there is tons of muscle here :mechanical_arm:

1 Like