Best way to fill 1000+ 1 ml luer lock Syringes with raw distillate

I’m trying to figure out the best way to fill 1-3000 1ml syringes (luer lock) per week, considering buying the ATG pharma manual filler with the foot pump and jacketed heater but this is only useful to me if the metal top plungers with the hole in the middle actually work - as this would allow me to top fill. I was wondering if somebody with some experience with the metal top plungers could give me some insights on this. Also if anybody had any alternative cheaper methods without having to dish out 15k. Thx.

1 Like

I just bought a heated metered syringe from https://ypsioil.com/heated-syringes/digital-syringe-heater. It might be worth looking into.

1 Like

I was looking at those but that is only a solution if you can top fill. Are you top filling? and if so how are you closing the plunger down without pushing product through the front?

Push the plunger in, and full with a luer lock adapter, I made a ptfe tapered joint that would connect to the rbf the formulation was mixed in.
It saves on waste and makes everything a snap!

29 Likes

where is the make up air for the RBF coming from?

is that a hog panel on the wall?!?

3 Likes

It has a bleeder hole in the side. Ahh my lab frame! Made of welded rebar spray painted bbq black! I can clamp glassware anywhere over a 3.5x 15 foot wall!

11 Likes

yep. can see that it’s rebar now. thought it was one of these, which would about cover that wall…

https://www.farmstore.com/product/hutchison-western-34-in-4-ga-hog-panel-16-foot/

2 Likes

I looked at those, the wires are too small in diameter. My stuff is 1/2".

2 Likes

The easiest way is to go with The MCF1 from Thompson Duke. You’ll get 3k easily done in on day(10 hours at most)

1 Like

I am drooling over this setup. I see these allflex syringes with the bottle attachment. Just gotta figure out how you made that joint. Any tips?

1 Like

lathe+ ptfe! I can provide the drawing.

7 Likes

How do you like their cartshooter? We just received ours on Friday and made up a couple hundred carts on Saturday with it. I think it could use some improvements. There is no pump so all the pressure comes from your hand. That is good for a sore palm if you’re filling carts for a couple hours. Despite purging air bubbles it still dribbled and the heated sleeve keeps slipping. Filling the syringe wasn’t all that quick either and in the end it’s been only marginally faster than filling by hand with a glass syringe. It looks like developing a technique is crucial with this device.

1 Like

Is it any different from the FiftyShot?

It looks similar, and I am trying to figure out which one I should get. But if you use one and it works, I might just pull the trigger.

3 Likes

That’s the same device. The heating wrap looks slightly different but other than that it’s exactly the same.

1 Like

Shame to read that it’s not much of an elegant solution

1 Like

Those cost about $150 if you purchase both parts seperately

2 Likes

Good morning. I saw the link to our website and wanted to chime in.

The base of both our unit and the other unit posted are the same, a german made precision step syringe. It’s a great tool on it’s own but won’t work independently for the purposes of anyone in our market because it’ll seize up very quickly due to oil temperature in the needle.

But we don’t simply wrap a heat blanket around the barrel and call it a day. We put a little more R&D into it than that. Our background and experience comes from manufacturing and designing equipment, SOPs, and consulting in the mycology field. There are many differences but also many similarities regarding precision equipment in a field that everyone is trying to gouge. So, as we did in the mycology field we are doing here, create practical and affordable solutions to everyday issues that an operator faces. We try to price our products to be affordable for the consumer but still provide enough margin to be profitable for the company.

We custom fabricate an aluminum heat barrel that locks onto the step syringe (gun). The heat barrel was designed to create an annular air space between the heat and the oil to evenly heat the oil without risking overheating sections of the oil directly beneath the heat source. This is very important because every degree matters when you’re dealing with terpenes as volatile as you are. You only want to heat the oil to the minimum temperature possible to flow through the needle or you risk losing more terpenes.

Our heat barrels are also equipped with a thermal fuse that will shut off all heat in the rare case (never had one engage) of a faulty computer sending incorrect data. This is your fail-safe. Hopefully you will never need it, but if you do it’ll simply shut off the heat.

The heat barrel locks onto the gun in seconds with a 1/4 turn thumb screw so you will never get the slipping of a heat source someone mentioned. It also disengages from the gun in seconds allowing very easy changing of the oil and/or cleaning.

The control unit is built out of aluminum for good heat dissipation, easy cleanup and durability.

The power and data cords are both removable for easy storage or transport.

Also, the gaskets that come with the german step syringe are not designed for terpenes so we install ones that are and provide extras along with full stainless steel needles.

Regarding the dribble someone mentioned. That typically is a sign of thin oil either from temperature or terpene. My recommendation is drop the temperature a few degrees to bring back a bit of viscosity. Every oil formula plays a bit different so the temperature for your oil will vary from another. But if the formula remains the same, once you find your oils sweet spot you shouldn’t have to ever adjust the oil temperature again. We keep an SOP for each formula that states the proper temp setting.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

8 Likes

Contact www.rockymountainplc.com. They do all sorts of custom fillers!!

2 Likes

what is the syringe and plunger made of? Is there any lubrication that will contaminate the oil? A lot use a form of glycol that can can throw off a residual solvent hit on testing

2 Likes

The oil barrel is made of a chemical resistant polycarbonate and the plunger is stainless steel. From the factory there is a bit of vegetable oil on the o-ring. We change out the seals for a more chemical/terpene resistant seal and wipe off the oil. Although, like any equipment that will touch a food surface, I do recommend to clean the unit before use.

2 Likes