Badder tek

Hey everyone, I’m interested in trying out a badder for my next run. Is there an agreed upon purging method to get a nice, wet consistency? I will have live runs, and dry runs. Right now my plan is to run cold and fast (n2 push), and pour it into a mason jar. I plan to let it off gas for a bit, then throw it in the oven under full vac and ~90 degrees till its about to muffin. Then whip it (whip it good). After the first whip, I plan to put it back in the oven at full vac, buy maybe only ~75 degrees for a day or two.

I’m trying to piece this together as well as I can. If any of this fails to make much sense, please make me feel like an idiot

5 Likes

This tek is very similar to yours. - My spoon for the day.-

9 Likes

I appreciate the spoon, kind soul. Have read that quite over a couple times, but there still seems to be some post-processing controversy. Still not sure if the best route is to never introduce heat, just vacuum. Or never introduce vacuum, just a hot plate

2 Likes

Then it sounds like its time for some R&D to master you craft!

14 Likes

I don’t mind giving you a couple spoons.

No vac. Naughty. Bad.

Pour into Pyrex, don’t fill too much, you’ll learn why.

Use a slide warmer set to 30c

Use a good, clean, strong whipping tool. And whip her up. And whip her up. You’ll probably get a blister a few times.

Fastest I get it done is usually around 4 hours. You don’t have to tend to it the entire time. I cover it with press and seal saran wrap when I’m not working it.

As you get closer to being finished the metallic striations will start to go away. As they do, it’ll start to get easier, oddly, then easier like some danky batter. Hey this stuff is starting to look bomb af.

Nope. It’ll start to set in a moment. As the striations go away, you’ll start to see some slight “tears” in the wax. And as it “sets” some more. You’ll feel it take its final consistency. Mush it all together and finish processing it to get your ppm acceptable. That part isn’t included in the spoons.

59 Likes

hell if they did a simple search tbh they’d see where u did everything but do it for them

3 Likes

Listen to @Dred_pirate

In my experience, as long as the feed material is good, you just gotta be patient.

Whip out residual solvent in your enclosure. A good rule of thumbs if your Pyrex is cold to the touch don’t take it out of the enclosure.

To be honest, you just have to go for it. Whip it, don’t heat it up a bunch, and ensure it’s free of residual solvent before you sell it. IMO whipping is the most effective method of removing residual solvents (at least in the case of hydrocarbons).

Some people will allow the solution to offgas (at low vacuum) overnight and then come back and whip the crashed fraction into the mother liquor.

So many methods to the madness—experiment and more important TEST.

Good luck

27 Likes

Wow, thank you @Dred_pirate

Just ordered that hot plate, buy holy crap 4hrs of stirring, may have to invest in one of these :wink:ROBO_STIR-2T

Is vac a nono because muffin’ing would compromise the wet consistency everyone loves?

6 Likes

You need to vacuum purge when finished. I believe that is what @Dred_pirate was meaning.

2 Likes

Just take a monster dab tool and chuck into a drill.

17 Likes

No vacuum when done, either. Remember that picture I posted with the oilslick. That’s a clue to what I’m doing.

@acreativeusername that probably won’t work as well. But it’ll need 5 min here and there. It sucks it takes time. But, that’s also why not as many guys put it out, too.

Vac is a nono because it’ll suck terps and you’re needing those so you can keep it “moist”

13 Likes

Got it. Probably why my badders sugar up and get dry. They don’t stay super wet. I dont have access to testing…so to stay safe ppm wise…I gotta do what I gotta do

3 Likes

but why waste your time with a comment saying someone could find this somewhere else if they searched instead of jus helping them…? its better to be a community than the “fuck off” person. cause honestly your comment wasted everyone’s time…

8 Likes

*pneumatic drill would be preferred.

6 Likes

And responding like that isn’t needed or welcomed, either.

17 Likes

He doesn’t want people asking for a spoon to answers already covered, this is a great place to find answers and hidden gems if your willing to look for them lol @StoneD could open a baby food factory with the # of spoons hes fed to the people

22 Likes

We’re all tired of people not using the basic search function here to get by. The “Just ask and some kind soul will help” approach is what’s wrong with man. You’ve been given a giant mountain full of gold here, all you have to do is mine it. Get to work.

16 Likes

I hit it with a drill after it’s been in the oven for a couple days. Generally ppm’s at this point are sitting around 7000.

5 Likes

I was a rep for Bosch for many years and a contractor for over 15 years. The volume of sparks that fly from those brushes still leads me to believe it is intrinsically unsafe, even with reduced solvent volume. Just my personal opinion, though. I have a tendency to be overly safe. Being too safe in the lab hasn’t hurt anyone (to the best of my knowledge).

11 Likes

For sure. I’ve got pneumatic drills too (also a woodworker). good call.

Just gotta get the saw dust off before I turn it on over the sauce… what a bad day that would be

9 Likes