Active vs. Passive Butane Recovery

Respectfully, you are incorrect dear sir.

I dont have the time/energy to respond to your entire post.

Please review my underlying calculations if you wish, specifically:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4ZTOKch4Vl/

Which uses formula for Mdot found here:

I maintain that most if not all extractors passive or active experience flow choking.

Review the numbers below, tell me if you can find fault with them:

Nomenclature:

Mdot = Mass flow rate [g/s]

M = Mach Number [Dimensionless]

γ = Ratio of specific heats [Dimensionless]

P = Pressure [Pa]

Rho = Density [kg/m^3]

u = Speed of gas in the pipe [m/s]

c = Sound speed of the gas [m/s]

Cd = Coefficient of Discharge [Dimensionless]

Cv = Flow Coefficient [Dimensionless]

A = Orifice cross sectional area [m^2]

k = (1.094) Butane, Propane (1.13),

Example Pressure P0 = 206,843 [Pa] (30 psia)

Example Density ρ = 5.29 kg/m^3 (5.29 g/L)

Example Area (for 0.5” Dia) orifice A = 0.0001267 m^2

Example Cd for smooth surface Cd = 1 (ideal, typical values 0.8-0.9)

I understand your point about confirmation bias, and yes at smaller scale a pump may be more expedient, however analytically speaking I have not found a valid counterargument to my analysis in your post.

Respectfully,

1 Like

I get it man. I’m busy over here too.

But you did have the time/energy to write out your whole OP.

And time to bump up other active vs passive threads while pointing people to this thread to buy your chillers.

If you pop up on the scene one day and make some new claims, it would make sense for you to respond to a rebuttal of your claims. Especially if you’re selling something.

Why not at least explain the CNG vs LNG thing?

I don’t think you’ve really provided sufficient evidence for a lot of what you’re claiming here.

Your OP just kind of stumbles into the idea of choked flow out of nowhere with no real context.

This is sounding a little like charlatanism to me. Or the confirmation bias thing.

Below is my work solving the given equation using the variables you provided for a 1/2" orifice in your last post.

The answer I get for max (choked) flow rate of butane vapor through a 1/2" orifice is 594 lbs/hr or about 10 lbs/min.

That’s not too bad by current industry standards for medium/large batch butane extraction systems, active or passive.

Most aren’t even close to that limit but some are.

GPSmass

I’m very confused by your chart.

For example, it looks like you are implying that the choke limit for butane vapor through a 1.5" orifice is 160 lbs/hr or 2.6 lbs/min.

If I solve the equation for a 1.5" orifice size (.001142 m2) using your given variables for pressure and density, same as I did above, I get about 5,351 lbs/hr or 89 lbs/min max butane vapor flow rate through a 1.5" orifice.

Why does your chart imply that the limit is only 160 lbs/hr (2.6 lbs/min)?

13 Likes

Your right,

re-did the calcs by hand, for a 0.5" orifice I got 0.083 kg/sec.

I clearly messed up the spreadsheet… and need to redo the chart! :crazy_face:

In practice there would also be friction losses in the lines leading up to the pump as well, so definitely another thing to include in the models.

Tip of the hat to you Sir!

4 Likes

Also, does anyone have numbers for the pressure directly at the recovery pump inlet during operation?

I suspect the inlet pressure at the pump is far lower during operation, if anyone has any empirical data on that?

I apologize for prejudging your response before reading it in depth. I was rather distracted at the moment.

CNG vs LNG

This was just a general analogy to explain that a solution which makes sense at one scale may not be the best once scaled up. The modes of operation are very similar, one process uses compression (which generates heat), and then rejects the heat via heat exchange to atmosphere. The other uses refrigeration to liquefy the gas, both methods can generate the suction needed to drive the process.

On a broader level I believe a passive process without moving parts, and sanitary heat exchangers only is the cleanest method possible, and would be desirable even if the costs are slightly higher.

Use of refrigeration for vapor recovery vs. solvent chilling

The main need for specialized refrigeration is for liquid solvent chilling to low temps, there are already as I’m sure you know many large tonnage UL-listed systems on the market for vapor recovery.

On our flagship model: (https://www.greenprocess.solutions/2020/01/13/40-ton-refrigeration-system/) it includes 2 cooling and 1 heating loop, the -60 Deg C flooded R-507 loop uses 2 stages to reach such a low temperature but provides modest tonnage at that temperature. The -15.6 °C glycol loop runs on the 1st stage and provides far more tonnage. The purpose would be to use the glycol loop for vapor recovery to the solvent storage tank, and then apply -60 Deg C cooling loop just prior to the injection back into the extraction process. Considering the scale of the system, combining it all together provides an energy savings, especially due to the use of waste heat which can be returned to the process. As well as a cleaner integration which only uses one refrigeration system.

Regarding choked flow

Your right, choked flow is only one potential bottleneck in the system. The main issue with many extractors is insufficient heat transfer in the recovery pot (Couldron), this must be overcome with some form of FFE or WFE. (as illuminated extractors have done)

The 2nd major issue is frictional flow loss in the rats nest of long hoses going between the recovery pumps and heat exchangers.

The 3rd major issue would be the limits of the recovery pumps volumetric pumping capacity.

Only after all of those limits are overcome would choked flow become the principal limit, I brought it up because it is one of the lesser known limitations. A comprehensive analysis should look at all of these limitations. And extractors would benefit to know that this type of bottleneck exists, as it behaves in a counter intuitive way in the sense that once P2 is less than ~50% P1 no additional pumping will do anything.

3 Likes

Great write-up! You are completely correct on all of the issues which challenge current extraction systems. It is for many of these reasons in which we designed our systems the way we have.

For instance, our Behemoth extraction system (100% 2 inch piping or larger except for injection lines), butane / propane / mix compatible, can process over 1000 lbs of bio per day into basic crude… More advanced processes such as Live resin can still be achieved with ease thanks to Thermodynamics. We utilize the solvent in way never before thought of in ways which increase the standard efficiency ten fold. We literally got rid of the ratio style of extraction and use a 1:1 bio to solvent. No more the old coffee maker style extraction but instead the more complicated espresso! Paving the way in the industry to the most efficient system possible!

6 Likes

Ok. Great pitch. Got any depth or like… pics?

5 Likes

Lol thank you “thermodynamics” without you we would all be… lost I guess

4 Likes

It is rather funny how much it is mis-understood… we are about to drop new tech across the board.

We completely removed the ratio… 1:1 all day. Can even do with less… +50c to -60c* Capable.

Here is our Behemoth, 1000# per day avg… The only Large Scale Propane / Butane / Mix Extraction System on the Market!! All products capable!

PSI Certified and UL Listing Pending…

U.S. Patent Pending Technology!

Multiple Systems in Operation!!!

Units in stock!

:skull_and_crossbones:

(Tape & Sharpie is applied upon pulling socks so as to track which sock came from what column).

10% bio:
instagram com/p/B7uceV6hIBU/
instagram com/p/B7ucuYgB2hb/

21% bio:
instagram com/p/B8WvCfbBNyz/
instagram com/p/B7g1remhni8/

10 Likes

someone gonna tell this guy what a CLS is? :rofl:

3 Likes

It cycles the same solvent through the material until enough is enough?

I am thoroughly intrigued to see this one run

7 Likes

You’re not supposed to extract the tape/sharpie combo.

4 Likes

it appears to work by sending the same solvent through the biomass >>> WFE >> biomass several times, stripping the concentrate oil in the process.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, too. Extract, recover, re-inject, and repeat

3 Likes

Did you try an FFE(i.e. Bizzy) before moving to a WFE?

Was there some reason an FFE was not satisfactory, or some significant benefit to the WFE?

1 Like

Roflmfao no, we came out with the WFE for propane before bizzy came out with his FFE for butane. He seen us at the Loveland NOCO Hemp Expo then released his unit a few months later.

Surface Area is exponentially greater. Less residence time is needed. WFE’s are more efficient than FFE; less height is required. WFE’s are better at removing the volatile components such as propane. And more…

I have known about the problems faced for quite a while and have been working towards the most efficient possible system. We have completely removed the need for a ratio style of extraction. We use a phase transient solvent state to which takes on its own unique properties not seen with a pure liquid solvent. We invented a new technology to get away from the old regurgitated techniques.

Just wait for what is to come!!! The Behemoth is just one of our mid size models… :flying_saucer:

5 Likes

super/Saturated propane vapor?

4 Likes

the bottleneck is still that big ol’ recovery pump

2 Likes

Not if you know how to use it… then it is your biggest friend. We are recovering well below 3% of solvent remaining per 10# sock every run with exceptional ease (usually takes about 10 minutes to purge the entire system)…

Can easily recover a lb every two seconds… The big boy pump is actually only a mid size unit… much bigger are available.

Many other uses! Hush Hush :wink:

4 Likes