WTB 20L Duran or any other brand recieving vessel for a holchstrom

Looking for a 20L Duran or anything close to that size that can be used as a recieving vessel that has an inlet port for for the fluid and an outlet vac nipple.

@cyclopath see I’m learning. Slowly. But learning

1 Like

5gal keg?

Cheap off Craigslist ($25-50). Usable as-is with a standard keg tap. Modifiable to near perfection for a couple of hundred $ if you’ve got a fabricator you work with regularly

Edit: 4” triclamp is a really tight fit. I don’t recommend going smaller, because:cleaning, but it’s not a connection you want to open and close on a daily basis.

Edit: if using a standard keg tap, you probably need to disable the check valve on the CO2 side so you can pull vacuum. Certainly some clown seems to have removed them on all my keg taps :shushing_face:

1 Like

Sub $50 solution…

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/for/d/cocoa-yengling-beer-keg/7220549448.html

Plus US Sankey D Keg Coupler, Stainless Steel Probe?

Note: soda kegs won’t work. They don’t do vacuum.

Problem with it is have to cut the whole top off and weld new top on and or have to cut spots to put smaller ports on it right?

Sounds like you don’t have a fabricator you’re working with regularly.

If you don’t need to get your arm in there, you can use a sanke tap. Or use the fact that you can mate a 2” tri-clamp to the OEM sanke bung.

Ive never removed the chimes/handles, just a 4” hole in the top, add 4” ferrule. Lid of your choosing.

I often solve the problem with an oem keg, then build the right modified one to take over once the fabrication is done.

Surprised by how few kegs Craigslist offered for the whole of Florida…

1 Like

Can get these in 29L and 50L, new
DM me

Oh I do just a lot of work when a Duran is like 150-200 and that’s how much that welding would cost and I can see how well my matieral is filtering with glass container :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Seethru is awesome (long listed as my favorite color).

However, I find “really hard to break” at least as useful, especially when playing with cannabinoids

…but truth be told I had no idea your target was glass. “Duran” == Barbarella in my whirled :wink:

@VerifiedConsultant, that looks like a better way to get a 4” ferrule on a 29l keg. 6” makes it easier for many of us to get our forearms in there…

That last pic tho… cannot unsee

Why does one need to get their whole arm in there?

To wipe out the schmutz…

Makes hand cleaning/sanitizing while scaling towards that CIP pilot plant or commercial keg washer easier.

Building a CIP lid and rigging a washer along the lines of @Corey_Small’s bucket based flask washer would be another approach…

I’m seeing more like $400 used on eBay…

FYI, if you drink beer the keg deposit is usually less than $40…

As for the see through thing, these are quite economical: https://www.glaciertanks.com/tank-weld-sight-glasses.html

1 Like

This might help…
I had an adaptor made for boiling flasks and don’t have to touch/clean the 20L vessel in between.

End 1:
65/40 Ball joint with o-ring groove (to suit your boiling flasks)

Middle:
1” of glass tube between ball joint finish & Rodaviss start

End 2:
#45/40 DURAN Rodaviss threaded socket on the other. (To suit the Hochstrom vacuum head)

R&D Glass Products and Equipment (in Berkeley) did it for me and it was <$200

1 Like

You might could post this in the tricks of the trade thread also

1 Like

Definitely nifty little trick for sure

1 Like

We can make them but I think just the bottle is in the 400-600 range.