Switching from NPT to Compression Fittings

get the mnpt to swage and bend a piece of tube to get your desired direction

https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-810-1-8

not in 1/4" or 3/8".

And after re-reading, I think the piece you’re actually missing @TheGratefulPhil is the compression to JIC connector to connect that swagelok valve to the ptfe/stainless hoses you have…

2 Likes

Where are you located? Chrissy at Pipe Valve and Fitting Co in Denver is a good person to use for swageloc and tyloc fittings. Parker makes good stuff but their stores have a hellacious markup IMO.

I’d also ask, what issues are you having with FPT/MPT connections? I’ve personally fought leakage with some cheap import stuff because they make straight threads instead of the proper tapered threads that the pipe thread spec calls for. Also be cautious of what you are using to seal threads, some pipe dopes are better than others and some are completely incompatible with the solvents you are using.

3 Likes

We are a filter company and sometimes, depending on the filter housing (hardware), we do have fractional fittings and we do make them available in the 1/4" and the 1/2" TC. Typically these are vents and gauge ports. Thanks, Greg

Because you have a 1/4" NPT fitting the smallest ID you have is 1/4", therefore you’d want a 3/8" NPT to 3/8" tube fitting. 3/8" tube/compression has a OD of 3/8" and a ID of 1/4". You do not want to go from a 3/8" NPT to 1/4" tube fitting - you’re choking your flow rate.

SS-600-1-6 is a 3/8" MNPT to 3/8" Compression or a Male 3/8" NPT fitting to a 3/8" tube (female)

SS-6-TA-1-6 is a 3/8" MNPT to 3/8" tube (male). This is the larger size of the first one you showed.

Ask Swagelok to send you their bible (catalog book) its as big as a college chemistry book, is free, and is my go to when I need to correctly source fittings.

6 Likes

You can drill (or get pre-drilled) versions so that you can pass tubing through the fitting.

Unlike NPT they are “clock-able”.

Obtainable as tri-clamp, npt, jic adapters

Some sizes work with o-rings and PEX, available at your hardware store.

Off topic: I recommend a diaphragm between you gauge and your product. For your gauges sake…

26 Likes

super slick with the elbow (DIP)tube.

4 Likes

son of a whore!!! that looks so user friendly!!!

1 Like

Where do you get your tubing at for making runs?

1 Like

I use Paramount Supply in Eugene, but that is because I’m in Eugene :shushing_face:

I noticed titan fittings sells tube today…

10 Likes

I have a solid source for swagelock clones from China. I can dig up the contact if you like. Their valves are excellent functionally, they just need to be tightened with hex keys and box wrenches prior to first use because the Chinese seem to have a superstition about tightening things properly. Once that initial adjustment is complete these swage clones have lasted 5+ years with zero leakage. Forgot to mention, the 3/8" (NPT or compression fittings) only cost $10 each!

9 Likes

Gotta love our machine overlord’s attempt at misdirection (auto-correct)…

2 Likes

Thanks for the copy-edit boss :wink::call_me_hand:

I would appreciate it if you could pass that contact along if you find it.

1 Like

I would also be interested in that contact info if you don’t mind!

1 Like

I’d also be interested

1 Like
6 Likes

As a side note, ive noticed the chinese ball valves really just need to be opened up and cleaned prior to tightening.

Ive found big chunks of metal and other stuff on the sealing surfaces.

The PTFE seals get marred when you tighten everything down with those chunks in there

Theyre still junk but ive had better success doing this

5 Likes

Phil, generally speaking NPT threads are not designed to seal without thread tape as the thread tape is integral to their functioning correctly. They are not a reliable way to seal a system. All of the leak test stands I have built in my career all use compression fittings. I send my employees to a short half day class on how to properly prepare the tubes and properly set these fittings. Also note that fittings for a vacuum versus positive pressure are different. You can find the leak rates of various Swagelok compression fittings in this report.

5 Likes

Besides leak rates, NPT fittings don’t seat at a predictable depth and you have to turn them until tight AND pointing in the right direction. Sometimes it is impossible. Compression fittings don’t require any rotation of the tube.

5 Likes