Would you consider this process "solventless"?

I might be doing some r&d here soon but I would like to consult the “elders” before starting this journey :slight_smile:

-Mechanical separate to get thca isolate.

-distill volatiles to collect terp fraction.

-dissolve thca isolate into cannabis derived terpenes to recrystallize.

Would the use of the these terpenes classify this end product as “not solventless”?

Honestly, I’m trying to do what @landofstank is doing on IG lol

3 Likes

I guess? The whole kind of ‘is it solventless’ question I find annoying because many people who ask it don’t even like ethanol as a solvent, even though they drink alcohol.

If the cannabis was grown organically, you could call that USDA organic diamonds (I know the USDA doesn’t accept cannabis as a crop, but that’s beside the point) since everything originated from the plant.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d consider it solventless. Whenever I see solventless I’m assuming ‘lack of man-made solvents’

Beautiful work, too bro! Looking strong!

4 Likes

That’s a good way to say it.

Also, forgot to mention, yeah those are damn gorgeous!

2 Likes

Hi
How do you get the diamonds

1 Like

eeeez a secret

This was made from low THCA garbage. Haven’t done this with any fire material yet but…it can be done.

6 Likes

Keep on smashing your squish bag until the terps and THCA are separate.

6 Likes

Yelling and threats of physical violence toward your press is the key step you forgot to mention

20 Likes

depends on how the THCa was extracted. I know you said mechanical separation, but how did you obtain the oil you are separating the THCa from? if you used a solvent to extract it, then I wouldn’t call it solventless.
If you didn’t, and all you do post-extraction is what is outlined above, then it sounds like it’s solventless to me

3 Likes

This gentleman has done exclusively solventless that i’ve seen thus far so I don’t think he’ll be double dipping - good work too. He’s posted a bunch in the rosin thread.

Oh so he’s squeezing buds/bubble hash to get the THCa? Nice. in that case, I don’t see how it wouldn’t be considered solventless.
If someone argued that CDT are considered a solvent, then we couldn’t really call any oil solventless anymore, except maybe the oil that comes out of that Boulder Creek vapor static system that shatter gurl jacqueline runs. Everything else has some terps in it at some point, right?

1 Like

I mean most things that we eat have them - and even then the terps can be snagged from mechanically separated THCA in rosin. A bit time consuming, but absolutely doable if you have a wall of jars to press

1 Like

That process would be solventless

But that’s not How that’s made

Just instead of putting into a mold you melt it into a sheet and then cool off and break into chunks

How clean you get the isolate will change the color of the “diamonds” but they tend to oxidize unless mixed back into the terp fraction

The bubbles are a sure sign of the Tek, hard to get rid of all of them without just taking the whole chunk out the pile

14 Likes

Good work g, getting them to actually crash is a pain ime. Only a few strains would have enough terps (or the right ones?) to crash reliably for me

See, I’ve done this and it definitely works, and if done right the purity is almost as good as Re-X. But I can’t call that end product ‘diamonds’. They didn’t grow their own facets, they take on the shape of their container as a liquid and resolidify.

Not knocking the tek at all as it definitely works. Just in my opinion they are not ‘diamonds’ in this form.

Bubbles is likely small amounts of decarb. If you pull strong vacuum while melting you can reduce how many bubbles there are.

I’ve said my part on them in the thread I linked, they’re an amorphous solid of high purity thca. But everyone calls them diamonds and saying that whole thing is too technical for many custies compared to mech sep diamonds or simply “hash diamonds”

Absolutely there’s ways to minimize the bubble and a vac oven can reduce how much it does but there will always be a few in the batch.

2 Likes

doesn’t the vapor static system require EtOH during the condensation process? I know vapor distilled (kimball musk, also Boulder, were selling ‘1 million mg of the highest quality crude’ for 7k back when I lived up there a few years ago) utilized thermoextraction as well. They rocked out of a modified shipping container and definitely utililzed solvent to ‘capture’ the vaporized oils from the solvent, which was subsequently removed due to heat as the solvent was essentially atomized into the condensate and then quickly evaporated away.

I’m not 100% on the specifics of the machine honestly, so idk. I just always see her saying it makes solventless oil straight from biomass.

Thank you so much for the replies and kind words!! I have definitely played with melting down the thcA, however the clarity never seems on par with these other "diamonds"

The idea is to do mechanical separation, then take the “terp” fraction of the separation and run threw the spd to collect pure terpenes, and then dissolve the thcA isolate into distilled terpenes to form an actual crystalization!

I am far from an expert at this so much appreciated on the great conversation and lack of bashing, you guys are pretty cool, that is all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would stipulatr if the thca is done via organic etho and organic cert bio…

Peoduct can be considered is organic.

If u squeezed em out ur still not in the clear if your bio has pest and mico… But i would say the spd might be alil to much since you might degrade ur teprs with such proccesing… .

Lovely stones bbtw… :slight_smile: