Winterization

Also heat.

Hello, everyone, I am new over here do not know where to start.

1 Like

Welcome,
Read read and read Some more what side of concentrates have your interest

5 Likes

Yes because Celite 545 is just activated d.e. . I use Harris Food Grade D.E. for filtering.

2 Likes

I got that now. There was a lot of learning last year! LOL Especially on the chemical side!

3 Likes

I recommend the books section in the data dump.

However, it really depends what you’re looking for.

@Roguelab is correct. Read, read, read some more…

I’ve been reading almost every post for over a year, and learn new stuff almost every day…

5 Likes

Yes, I totally agree with the point that it is depends upon me. I know where I want to explore.
Thanks for the reply.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Soooo winterization no longer uses a freezer? Or freeze first then funnel?

Step 1 = Freeze, funnel out fats
Step 2 = room temp, aluminum oxide
Step 3 = room temp, celite 545
Step 4 = room temp, activated charcoal

Buchner w filter pass 1= aluminum oxide

2 Likes

Ali oxide grabs 80/90% of all fats but not all
Freezing below -60C does depending on solvent used in my case ethanol or methanol with a pinch of water

4 Likes

Can u mix them all at once

Etoh for cryo winterization and Methanol for room temp winterization with no cryo gear

3 Likes

What does methanol do at room temp ethanol does not?

winterize without cryogenic methods

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:. Methanol does not disolve waxes so the percipitate out

5 Likes

hoppp got lot of higgrade meerschaum (sepiolite)… ill test it… hehe over 1 year ago u posted

1 Like

Magnesium silicate as magnesol or as magsil ?

1 Like

For the first step, is it recommended that the Ethanol be warmed as well prior to mixing? Or it doesn’t really matter, as it eventually is heated up as we’re dissolving the crude? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

magnesol or mag-Sil? Im curious as well.

1 Like

Magnesol is another brand name for the same or at least very similar composition as Mag-Sil, most likely only differing in particle size. Where I expect MagSil to be standardized for a specific particle size as its intended application is for chromatography, Magnesol might not require the even particle sizes in order to be used for its intended application (filtering frying oil). None the less, for all intents and purposes, Magnesol and Mag-Sil are functionally the same thing and should behave analagously when it comes to using them in a filtering/remediation process. Most likely the suggestion was for MagSil but I have heard others using Magnesol and getting similar results.
So, whatever you can get your hands on, try it out. Magnesol is way cheaper <$100 per 22lbs. Magsil PR is ~$180 per 1kg. There’s also a Magsil (for horses) that is $42 per 1kg. Again, the main difference between the two Magsil variants is most likely only the particle/grain size, otherwise it’s the same chemical composition (Magnesium Silicate) and both might even be made from the same raw source material.

3 Likes

Magsil is heated to 625C giving it superior property s

2 Likes