Winterisation with butane possible?

Yeah, I was wrong. CBDA also has a crystalline structure, so I would imagine that yes they crystallize together. If they didn’t than I imagine people wouldn’t have to use things like reverse phase to remediate the THC.

Yeah, watching the way shatter gurl had been crystallizing CBD into those brilliant white sheets and clumps makes me think that the CBD crystal structure would inhibit large, more than a mm, THC crystals. @TheWillBilly do you have any experience doing this? Crystallizing CBD and THC in the same vessel. I’m brain farting on who else might know. @Soxhlet who would know this answer?

1 Like

Probably @Roguelab or @MagisterChemist

Thc does not crystelize it gets stuck in the latice if Cbd or CBN but doesn t crystelize
Having more than 3 % in an other crystal cannabinoid latice would be weird

3 Likes

Mother liqueur if Cbd crystelizations can have up to 40% Thc yet the Cbd crystals are almost void of thc

3 Likes

It’s physics tho

3 Likes

why doesnt my hydrocarbons go down? garavity? jk with the physics comment.

dunno man, the way I heard it was

if it wriggles, it’s biology
if it smells bad, it’s chemistry
if it doesn’t work, it’s physics

but my old man is a nuclear physicist, so ymmv

4 Likes

does he believe in dangerous radiation= my uncles dad? was a worker in labs testing radiation levels= he said it aint a thing. he said its all natural, and he died around 90

Everything is physics… You’re being redundant
:kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

So what happens to the THCa in this scenario? It seems really weird that it wouldn’t crystallize. :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

That’s cool, what’s his focus?

It stays in the mother liquor because the concentration of THCa is not high enough to spontaneously crystallize.

CBD has a has a much lower threshold for crystallization than THCa. By this I mean CBD can crystallize from mother liquor at like 50% purity whereas THCa will not do that.

If the mother liquor contains THCa, it would probably be the last thing to crystallize from that mixture.

4 Likes

Ok so you’re saying even with equal concentrations in solution the CBD crystallizes first, effectively lowering the concentration of thca below a crystallization threshold. At this point what happens if you remove solvent to reach crystallization thresholds for the THCa?

Idk, I assume the presence of all the other stuff in the mother liquor would hinder crystallization of the THCa.

The mother liquor may still not be puro enough to actually crash out THCa without some clean up. Cannabis derived HTE sauce fraction can contain quite a lot of THCa but it can be a pain in the ass to separate what’s left in there because it just stays in solution and doesn’t want to crash. This isn’t the case with CBD extracts, where you have problems just trying to keep CBD crude from crystallizing.

Your dog reminds me of @Beaker dog. :joy:

3 Likes

Oh that’s my cousins dog Oliver, isn’t he a gem?!

1 Like

Better than incorrect or irrelevant :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

That is totally true!!!

I’m just going to start saying “basic effing physics” about everything.

1 Like

Be the guy who downplays everything by saying “well that’s just physics” whenever possible. People will love me…

why did the old mit pot contest be about bongs and they didnt know this crystalization stuff?