Winterisation with butane possible?

Why are you doing this to something that will be capped?

You can have better results if you seperate the ht from the thca and process seperate. You shouldn’t decarb the terpenes, it can also make them taste worse. You can also winterize your ht in butane and a couple/few large Mason jars, it’s a little unorthodox, but you’ll save a lot more and better vs using alcohol and the roto evaporator, then decarb.

7 Likes

Sounds nice! Exactly because of the terps i didnt want to winterize it with Ethanol, i want to preserve as much terps as possible.

If i seperate the thca from the terps does it affect the potency and purity if i distill the crystals?
So are the crystals as pure as the distillate or is the distillate cleaner?

Why are you distilling if you have crystals? Distillation is a purification method just like crystalization. The crystals you pull out will be relatively pure THCA as long as you wash the “sauce” off.

And yes, you can melt the crystals to make a high THCA oil, but it will try to recrystallize on you. CBD distillate does the same thing.

1 Like

Wich kind of terps do you add then? do you buy them or make them by yourself to?
Because if I really want to produce my own terps.

Like you said it`s relatively pure, so distilling it might make it more pure.
And i want to distill them so they are decarbed and also edible.

Hte. From bho.

I make my own.

2 Likes

Pupparoo secretes terps from his sweat glands

9 Likes

Pretty true, my bo smells like chron

7 Likes

The crystals are already really pure, if you distill them you’re basically just fucking stuff up. You can change the consistency with heat and by introducing some terps and noids to make a semisolid non newtonian fluid. The less heat you need to achieve this the better, hence the dewaxing step inline with production.

3 Likes

I put the columns in the dry ice chest for around an hour if Im running cold= running cold is a total pain in the ass and I end up making gummies usually so Im gonna stop running cold so often. all the nitrogen and dry ice to make a MARGINALLY better product or lighter color to meet demand. I get higher than i want off a few dabs of warm butane bho. I smoke flower all day so all i need to get out the oil is the butane IMO. I dont do carts much and now they arent readily available i hear.

yeah but as said i also want to make edibles and as far as i know you have to decarb the THCA ? so therefore i want to distill the crystals into thc. and the distilled thc then wont crystallize at all because the COOH group has been removed.

1 Like

And what he is saying, is that distillation is NOT required. The ONLY thing that is required when starting from THC-A diamonds is decarb. Literally just decarb it, and put the now un-crystalized oil into your carrier oil and infuse your edibles.

3 Likes

Thanks, yeah i was aware that only decarboxylation will be good enough but i was thinking maybe i`ll make the extract even more pure then before.
And i also think the distillation from the crystals should be easier as with terpenes (and fats etc). Thats happening because you pull a lot of “impurities” before you distill and so you dont have so many compounds with different boiling points which make it harder to distill.

If you want to increase purity, might I suggest a wash and recrystallization. In the field of chemistry this is most often the technique used for increasing the purity. That being said diamonds are already extremely pure, so unless you need 99% crystal or have a use for the byproducts of this process it’s not cost effective.

I still think this is all overkill as you are going to use the concentrate for edibles, essentially decreasing the purity. If taste is an issue might I suggest using distillate run from crude instead of using a premium product like dewaxed micro diamonds.

5 Likes

Crystallization will yield you a purer product than distillation in most cases. When a compound crystallizes it is only that one molecule forming a continuous crystal whereas distillate can have any number of impurities being codistilled, especially when you’re distilling something that vaporizes at such a high temp.

4 Likes

If i crystallize lets say an extract with 20% THCA and 5% CBDA, the crystals which are forming is this then a mixture of THCA/CBDA or does then only the THCA crystallize because theres a higher percentage in the extract? or does the cbd also crystallize just in its own crystals?

Thanks for all your answers !!! Really helps me a lot :smiley:

CBDA doesn’t crystalize like THC-A does. CBD crystalizes like THC-A. So you could theoretically crystalize the THC-A, and what you would be left with would be a mixture of terps and CBD-A. At least I’m pretty sure that’s how that works.

This :octopus: is the best answer so far.

1 Like

That is a great question! One I don’t have an answer for, I’ve never had the opportunity to extract anything with a meaningful amount of CBD.

My gut says they crystallize together much the way two minerals will form crystals inside of or on other crystals.

1 Like