Wild Forage Booty

Morels** my bad

We got them off for $800 locally while everyone and us can’t get rid of sungrowns for over 450

Everyones taking to selling firewood on the side with where the market is rn, went foraging out of boredom and cleared some accidental happy numbers

4 Likes

ehhhh iono homie those don’t look enough like oysters to me, normally they have that ‘shelf’-like appearance, with short stipes if they have stipes at all, and dont connect end-to-end to make the cuplike shapes i see here. stipe is a v different color from the cap too, not used to seeing that. there’s variation of course so i could be wrong, but this is making alarm bells go off in my head.

even if they are the translucency makes me think they’re a little too old to eat. in a game where being wrong can cost you your life, best to play it safe imo

4 Likes

Oysters can definitely have a stipe, but I’m with you on this one

2 Likes

They have no stipe

Idk it just looked like the pics of the oyster mushrooms variety was just wondering wish I knew

ID is key.

I too question this one (and asked an expert, he hasn’t gotten back to me yet…).

Tell us of this stipe you do not have (clearly do)

5 Likes

These look like unusually light colored jack-o-lantern mushrooms to me, but I’m no expert at all. Do they fluoresce under blacklight, or glow ever so slightly in the dark?

I have a black light and uv light which is best

Yeah I’ve grown magic mushrooms I know what the skirt on the stem is that was connected before opening. These don’t appear to have any stipe to me…

Can you point it out bc I can see any

That is an annulus, left over from the veil.

Not the stipe.

Stipe == stalk.

Gave you a link to the definition. Here is 1k word substitute.

Read this Oyster Mushroom: Identification, Foraging, and Cooking - Mushroom Appreciation and consider how many places those look to miss.

I haven’t heard back from my buddy yet, and the probability that he will offer a definitive ID from those photos is almost zero, however, I am almost certain those are NOT osyters.

10 Likes

I can’t say either one specifically, and honestly I don’t know that even if it did emit a bioluminescence that it would inherently be fluorescent as well. But I know the jackolantern does emit a very faint light, and the thought popped into my head.

1 Like

There are old mushroom hunters,
There are bold mushroom hunters,
There are very few old bold mushroom hunters.

Guess how we humans know which mushrooms will kill you dead…

20 Likes

Folks died, other folks took notes…

…then we developed a sophisticated way of identifying the damn things.

One does not want to skip learning the lingo when keying mushrooms.

Unless one simply plans to sequence one’s way out of that dilemma

12 Likes

Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch. I’ve had my hand slapped out the cookie jar by misidentification.

4 Likes

Response I got from my most trusted mycologist was

definitely NOT oysters, maybe clitocybe…

5 Likes

The consumption of two species, Clitocybe acromelalga from Japan,[7] and Clitocybe amoenolens from France,[8] has led to several cases of mushroom-induced erythromelalgiawhich lasted from 8 days to 5 months.[9]

Thought that was interesting is all. Fuck that

1 Like

Thanks!! (Another rabbit hole…)

In 2004 erythromelalgia became the first human disorder in which it has been possible to associate an ion channel mutation with chronic neuropathic pain,[2] when its link to the SCN9A gene was initially published in the Journal of Medical Genetics .[3] Later that year, in an article in The Journal of Neuroscience , Cummins et al., demonstrated, using voltage clamp recordings, that these mutations enhanced the function of NaV1.7 sodium channels, which are preferentially expressed within peripheral neurons.[4] One year later, in an article in Brain , Dib-Hajj et al., demonstrated that NaV1.7 mutants channels, from families with inherited erythromelalgia (IEM), make dorsal root ganglion (DRG, peripheral and sensory), neurons hyper excitable, thereby demonstrating the mechanistic link between these mutations and pain, thereby firmly establishing NaV1.7 gain-of-function mutations as the molecular basis for IEM.[5]Conversely, in December 2006 a University of Cambridge team reported an SCN9A mutation that resulted in a complete lack of pain sensation in a Pakistani street performer and some of his family members. He felt no pain, walked on hot coals and stabbed himself to entertain crowds.[6]

3 Likes

It was poppin today
Got my first blue chantelles, a bunch of them!

14 Likes

18 Likes

I was over by Rico/Lizard head hiking last weekend and came across what I think are the same but I couldn’t ID them at the time.

9 Likes

Those are the ones. Polyozellus multiplex. They are called blue chantelles, but they are not really chantelles.

4 Likes