Who makes your favorite hydrocarbon extraction system. What makes it your favorite over others?

That’s rad. The unit I started running from oss recently has a very low hanging center ferrule, so the injection hits the bottom and sprays everywhere. Was thinking of adding a 3/8 line that comes in and redirects the flow straight to the bottom… only issue is how the 3/8 compression reduces from outside diameter to the inside diameter, so no way for a through design.

So the trick is to just drill it out??

@TwistedStill??

Yep you can just drill them out. Important note though is that the pressure rating decreases by about half without the stop because the ferrules won’t seat as tightly. Then again swagelok FK fittings and their knockoffs are rated for like 5-10ksi so that’s not usually an issue.

Also, if you don’t have a drill press with a video or other suitable method, you can just order them as “bore-through” from the mfg for a few bucks extra. Just add -BT to the end of your swagelok part number

6 Likes

I went and visited Luna and saw their IO Extractor in operation. Pretty damn impressive rig.

Automation of hydrocarbon extractors is the future, there is no question about it. It’s serious money to buy/build one, but when you figure in how much time and product you lose through operator training and error on a manual rig, it’s pretty attractive.

9 Likes

i ran their first system rated for propane for about 6 months

the CONCEPT is amazing

The Execution…,.

I broke the thing, ALOT
the lab owners threatened to sue and we got a ton of free parts blah blah blah, not my money. not my zoo not my monkeys

i liked being able to run it from my phone while i was offsite, load a tube and run an errand or get lunch.

i disliked the rats nest of valves and tubing…it could be more more simple and reliable.

I think its a good step in the right direction and hopefully some American manufacturing company with extensive experience in automation comes out with something soon (wink wink)

3 Likes

Thanks for your insight. What exactly were you breaking on it @Extractionguy?

1 Like

The valves were really bad at first. The Insulated packing Material kept breaking off and clogging valves. It was obvious that I was The first person to use this type and it didn’t hold up to the low temps.

The plumbing is a mess. Very difficult to get stage to seat when everything is cramped and laid out poorly.

The collection was impossible to clean out. The bottom didn’t come off so if your arm is less than 4 feet long good luck.

The system wasn’t setup to distill gas. They installed it and I was like “what’s the distill sop” they gave me a blank look. No way to clean out collection after you distill no valve to feed in gas. Shot show.

Had to add a valve to a quarter million dollar machine and effectively render its certs useless. I had to use an ets to distill and feed into Luna.

The software is dumb. It’s setup to make one kind of extract regardless of what kind of recipe you use. I had to do so much code tweaking with software engineer just to get a wet pour.

The wide column and basket for material was inefficient. Don’t think I ever got a full pull yield wise even with long soaks. The column was to wide and solvent wasn’t making good contact with all of the material.

The vac pulled from a place where oil would get into the vac lines.

Chiller lines frequently froze the water lines as they were installed dumbly through same hole with no insulation. Had to add code.

Decent customer service. They always responded when it stopped running or clogged somewhere. Which was frequently.

The owners are nice and know about extracts but you can tell it’s a small new company and they are learning as they go. Not stuff you like to see after you cut a huge check. We really did their r&d for them and paid full price for the honor.

10 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I really appreciate the honesty.

3 Likes

for 250K you should be able to build a massive system with 5kw at -40 10kw at-5 for recovery ul listed ASME peer reviewed and still have enught for a lb of smoke. just my two cents

I priced out a BZB mid 2019 for a rec lab and it was 250 for just the stainless

40 lb with the hydrocarbon falling film.

I liked how it worked but the owner of the lab got some serious sticker shock.

It was funny how he does things. We had to pay him money to go price a system and sign an NDA so we would t leak the vessel mfg he had on his ASME plates.

4 Likes

True dat. Well said my friend.

3 Likes

I’ve found most forum members are not working in licensed facilities.

A lot of our good advice falls on deaf ears sadly.

Stay safe out there trappers.

4 Likes

I’d say it’s more 60/40 legal labs/ unlicensed lab. But if you add in the cbd farms that don’t exactly need the same licensing as thc labs it’s more like 75/25 legal/unlicensed

Who do you think is selling all these wfe here? Unlicensed labs?

1 Like

Has anyone seen anything cool released lately in the hydrocarbon extraction sphere?

Building a garage lab unit for some frozen I have and will post a few pics soon. Balling on a budget for sure on this build as no certs are required. XD/OSS etc

2 Likes

I hate manifolds. HATE.

It’s the fastest way to slow down solvent delivery and it getting into your collection.

This is some ghetto ass shit that I did that worked out pretty good.

I normally feed (2)4x48 into a collection pot and i don’t like feeding trough a manifold or separate 3/8 ports. So I use a 2” “Y” and feed like that.

This is a CRC on top of the collection being fed by the “Y”. Very fast flow. Desired color remediation achieved.

Each material column is fed by its own 50 lb solvent tank. I run 5 lbs of solvent through every lb of material I have. No manifolds, no 90degree fittings.

12 Likes

I would follow @FicklePickle lead… Passive system, big ass recovery lines or hard Pipe, tube In shell condensers. Hmmmmmm, got me thinking…

I have been brain storming hard lately for my next build…

6 Likes

I definitely want to use 2” hard pipe recovery and tube in shell for passive recovery.

I will power all of it: jacketed solvent tanks, jacketed material columns, tube in shell with a big ass -80 us labs chiller

I break chillers like it’s nobodies business and theses can be serviced in the us unlike the touch science.

The company o work for uses giant ass industrial chillers. So heavy duty and built for a lifetime but overkill for some ghost dimes.

2 Likes

One big thing I want to do on my next build is have solvent cooling/recovery columns (been thinking 8”) and then a larger auxiliary solvent “storage” tank.

Also want to do a taller, column style collection.

Also add a real dewax.

Second material column.

Hard pipe and compression fittings as much as possible

Use super lock valves

5 Likes

Lol am I the only person on the planet that’s doing production with a vertical system…

9 Likes

Ladder Tek! Is that a frankenstein MK4 on steroids?

4 Likes

+inline CRC I’m guessing.

4 Likes