Who makes your favorite hydrocarbon extraction system. What makes it your favorite over others?

I used to work for precision. It is most definitely not made in Detroit lol.

Chinese metal is sketchy. They will tell you it’s one thing and sell you another to increase profit. Precision is just like extractor depot and OSS, they import stuff and get a cert.

If you want stainless that will rust and that you can stick a magnet to they are the way to go!

6 Likes

For 250k get an custom made NB Oler and massive industrial chiller (not a Huber) and spend the rest on a GT-R or a boat or something.

5 Likes

I like the Ironfist machines to a certain extent.

Carl not so much.

Deadlines and customer service are a foreign language to that guy.

2 Likes

This🔺

Best thing I’ve read all week.

3 Likes

I’ve seen schedule 40 steel collapse. With a regulator installed on it and it was being ran by a “certified thermodynamagician”. I googled how many millimeters that was.

Google says just a cunt hair over 6mm.

I talked to a few engineers about this think it has something to do with the curvature of the pipe. The smaller the diameter the more extreme the curve and that’s where it is most likely to fail. Like on a Dyke, the curved part is where they fail. So the inner wall on a 4” column is weaker than the inner wall on a 8” column even though the sheet thickness is the same.

Disclaimer* I’m not an engineer and got C’s in my college math classes lol.

6 Likes

I think my brain just had an orgasm seeing that full bore

3 Likes

Haha, I’m glad everyone loves it so much.

@Gumby
The run went really well. Working on building enough vapor pressure without cooking my extract.
In the future when I’m no longer bound to working under this fume hood, I will add a heat exchanger (tube in shell) to inlet of the collection to help build vapor pressure

5 Likes

Pipe wall thickness varies by diameter. Sch 40 10" pipe has a larger wall thickness than 4" sch 40. Pressure ratings still decreases as diameter gets larger but it’d have to be very large diameter sch 40 to collapse under vacuum. Largest issue with pipe for these applications is “stability”; the poor roundness in pipe allows deformation which becomes asymmetrical. Oil panning of a drum is a good example of this.

2 Likes

When they use co2 for cooling in the jackets it isn’t vacuum that collapses the column, it’s the pressure from the co2 blowing out the jacket and imploding the inner wall.

Disclaimer* in my experience from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

sounds like they need more propane mixed in their blend to keep inner pressure up.

1 Like

Sorry, wasn’t sure what application you were speaking about specifically. I should say that 15psi pressure differential externally applied shouldn’t be an issue for sch 40. Same issue with stability, but the pipe doesn’t know absolute pressure, only gauge pressure.

The only thing I will say is pressure relief with CO2 can be sketchy, especially if the gas isn’t bone dry. Dual relief is suggested and something like a rupture disc that is less likely to ice up generally should be used. Our PEs always get concerned when we work with it at high pressure regarding relief devices because it ices so regularly. That being said, most jacket cooling should be done at pressures where this is less of a concern.

4 Likes

There are just certain things that are really amazing and cool but there is no amount of money you could ever pay me to be in a room with these systems . LC02 is baddass for cooling but it literally gets too cold stainless looses its strength the colder it gets it is just sketchy IMO i will stick to dry ice and pay more to not have a column fail and potentially kill me for me the downfalls outweigh the benefits . Like these new membranes that require 600-1000 psi no thanks i will just run fire fresh frozen regular or stick with CRC . Shit i don’t like pure propane you look at it funny and the pressure increases . I like nbutane and isobutane because of the safety and low operating pressures behind these gasses its not hard to make a safe rig that operates under 100psi but when you go over it just becomes more and more challenging. Then throw in variables like LC02 and its just not my type of party lol . Shit i run isobutane though my 6inch crc column at 25-35 psi with solid flow and feel damn good about it too lol. I just don’t like high pressure ever since i have watched failure on stainless even at 60 psi fuck imagine 600

5 Likes

Quote of the century

16 Likes

I say this often, and get wild looks when I do. Glad to see I’m not the only one

7 Likes

What about a red cunt hair? It’s the finest…the smallest, most precise of cunt hair measurements.

11 Likes

Yes the red cunt hair be the finest of cunt hairs

3 Likes

Ahh a ginger cunt hair. :pinching_hand:t3:

5 Likes

Obviously a novelty device as it is not calibrated by color.

16 Likes

Thermal Stress is what I’m thinking.

If you send gaseous butane, well over its boiling point temperature into a -70C column, at a fast enough rate, the thermal stress alone will encourage brittle fracture and all of a sudden the most failure prone areas will fail.

Pressure potentiates this failure.

7 Likes

You’re telling me there’s good reason industrial applications often use staged heat exchangers?

5 Likes