Who makes your favorite hydrocarbon extraction system. What makes it your favorite over others?

So tell us the good things about it…

What makes it a rig you like to run? If it’s the only rig you’ve run, pointing out how it is better than the other guys might be difficult…is there anything you would change?

Pictures? Subzero doesn’t make hydrocarbon extractors these days…

1 Like

And here is it hooked up to the hot water system. Def still needs some tweaks, but we will get there.

Credit to @FicklePickle on this design.

6 Likes

@Cyclopath sorry I should have been a bit more specific in my reply. I love the quality of the system, it still works as well as the first day I used it. I’ve only had to replace a pressure gauge in 5 years of use. I also like the simplicity of system, after a few runs I felt like a pro using it. One thing I would change is how the solvent is introduced into the material column. With this specific system I have to lift and turn the solvent tank upside down and clamp it to the material column. I would instead like to leave the solvent tank on the ground and have a hose transfer the solvent to the top of the column. For me, I usually like to process about 20lbs per day and this system allows me to do that while producing a quality extract (shatter, crumble). And yes, it is the only system I’ve ever ran so I couldn’t say if it’s better than others but I did want to point out its quality and ease of use.

1 Like

Thank you.

Yep…that picture shows my biggest compliant with the subzero design…they never really got past jabbing a can of butane into the top of a glass tube.

Some of the systems they released into the wild were truly bizarre… failure to comprehend imo.

6 Likes

Wtf so the whole weight is on one clamp ??? Damn

6 Likes

You should have seen their bigger systems circa 2015…

edit: not their largest system

(but is 2015 vintage)

@kloudkick3r it’s pretty simple to move the solvent tank back to the floor where it belongs. a 3/8" hose and a couple of tri-clamp parts should do the trick.

9 Likes

Wild very wild

:joy:

Thanks for the lead, I Talked to the owner of N B Oler today. I must say I am impressed with their customer service and team. However, A system from them with the same capacity as the PX40 has to be custom built, and will cost between 250-300. I would love to buy from them I’m sure it’s way superior in quality compared to Precision, but their lead time on a custom build of this size is 22weeks. That may be a deal breaker for me. The Precision is In stock, one week lead time

1 Like

Talk to people who operate the gear before purchasing if possible!

Single solvent tank. Single collection vessel. 350# solvent capacity room required for its installation. So no “standard” solutions (typical 150# limit with an MAQ doubler if you have fire sprinkers only getting you to 300#) work out of the box for your extraction room. All eight NPT ports in a row on top of that tank.

2 Likes

The entire weight of the solvent tank is on one clamp, yes. The solvent tank when filled with 14lbs of solvent weighs 40lbs. Been doing it this way for years, never had an issue. I am definitely ready for an upgrade though, I’m thinking a 20lb to 40lb system next.

1 Like

@SamuraiSam Great point. I figured I’d “only fill it to 300” But you’re probably right. Bet They won’t even allow the install!

Anybody know of a cool engineer to do a field verification in SoCal? They’re not gonna show any leniency after the LA fireball…

1 Like

Fire marshall does not care how much solvent is in the tank

They rate your certified system by the capacity

If you have a system with 350lb tank and room of 150lb capacity you do not get to (legally) bring that system into that room. The custom machine that saves you 20 weeks of time in “being in stock” might cost you 6-12 months of building a custom room to fit the machine.

Do more homework before spending money. Don’t buy a system without considering the extraction room it will live in. Talk to an engineer see how long it will take to have your room built. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen people rush to buy buy buy instead of plan plan plan.

6 Likes

So true. Thanks brother

1 Like

That and a dip tube. Which he could order from glacier tanks and cut to fit!

2 Likes

doh! yep, I totally missed that lack of a dip tube was what was holding @kloudkick3r back…

in my defense something like this 1/2" compression fitting would probably solve the custom dip tube. .

(not suggesting PEX with hydrocarbons, this was ethanol. the crossfit bares sharing imo)

2 Likes

Does the pex follow all the way through?

not in this install. the fitting is drilled through. because it is installed using an oring not a permanent set of locking ferrules, I could use this particular toy as both a diptube and not-a-diptube. here it is not a diptube.

the pex was way easier to prototype with.

2 Likes

That’s rad. The unit I started running from oss recently has a very low hanging center ferrule, so the injection hits the bottom and sprays everywhere. Was thinking of adding a 3/8 line that comes in and redirects the flow straight to the bottom… only issue is how the 3/8 compression reduces from outside diameter to the inside diameter, so no way for a through design.

So the trick is to just drill it out??

@TwistedStill??

Yep you can just drill them out. Important note though is that the pressure rating decreases by about half without the stop because the ferrules won’t seat as tightly. Then again swagelok FK fittings and their knockoffs are rated for like 5-10ksi so that’s not usually an issue.

Also, if you don’t have a drill press with a video or other suitable method, you can just order them as “bore-through” from the mfg for a few bucks extra. Just add -BT to the end of your swagelok part number

6 Likes

I went and visited Luna and saw their IO Extractor in operation. Pretty damn impressive rig.

Automation of hydrocarbon extractors is the future, there is no question about it. It’s serious money to buy/build one, but when you figure in how much time and product you lose through operator training and error on a manual rig, it’s pretty attractive.

9 Likes