Who here has raised pigs?

my uncle farms hogs and when I was a kid I visited. He had a dog that would bite the fuck out of a pig if the pig messed with humans.

8 Likes

And, thank you for being you thumpsā€¦

11 Likes

Putting down a horse is the same. The vet sedates the animal and actually draws that line with a marker. The vet I saw used a 9mm. Using drugs to fully euthanize an animal makes the carcass poison to anything that comes along to eat it, so a gun is better.

6 Likes

Put it down in one go? Thatā€™s impressive, just heard a bit of a horror story from a friend who had to put a few in the ol girls skull to get her good and dead.

1 Like

They have this new euthanasia chamber for humans. maybe we should make one for livestock

Point blank gunshot seems quick and painless for the animal but so fucking brutal.

Definitely can het messy close up

2 Likes

GF grew up on a pig farm. Asked her if she ever did this and she said they had their pigs food at the bottom of a big ass him and the water up at the top so they constantly were running up a big hill for water.

2 Likes

We had the processor come out. The cost was $150 kill fee per animal plus $1.49 cut and wrap. Our meat guy has a great kitchen and smokehouse so we got extras like brats, sausage and hams. The brats were $9.99/lb and so freaking delicious, I wish we had gotten more. Weā€™ve had ham twice, really good. Overall, weā€™d 100% do it again.

6 Likes

I think shrooms + making friends with an animal then butchering and eating it should be something more people do.
Life is not possible without death.
Understanding that, feeling the emotions it brings and realizing all your emotion doesnā€™t mean shit to the facts of life is a lesson far more people need.

27 Likes

I just want to eat a ham sandwich. Iā€™ll pay the extra fee for not having to look in its eyes as itā€™s slaughtered.

10 Likes

There is something special about being close to your food source (wether thatā€™s a garden, raising animals or hunting them). Really thankful my kids get to be exposed to this kind of life. Seems like so many kids these days are totally disconnected from anything realā€¦

23 Likes

Yep, one shot. On a horse, when you draw the x, it comes out higher on the head than most people would think. Between the eyes is the sinus cavity and the brain is farther up. The vet gave that horse ketamine and another sedative that was supposed to stop any side effects of the Ketamine. When the animal is nearly asleep, itā€™s easier to put the bullet right on the cross point of the x. Itā€™s actually a much more humane death than anything we do to execute people.

4 Likes

We raised pigs. We got a couple discount pigs because they had 2 sets of hooves on their front legs. That said, they ate what would normally go into compost (everything except for meat and citrus). They got fat and sassy and we butchered some of the best pork belly Iā€™ve ever had.

If you havenā€™t had pork cheeks with jowl (We didnā€™t make head cheese that round), put them in the crock pot with some bullion, jalapenos and Tony Chacherie. They are more tender than filet mignon.

13 Likes

Jowl bacon is where itā€™s at! Not many know that even exists.

11 Likes

I love to taste the portions of the swine. I usually ate the balls. They taste like a little iron and a little chewy. You know, for testosterone or something. The heart and tongue was good too, but it if any part tasted funky, we marinated it with carrots, celery, onion and Dr. Pepper or Coca-Cola for 24 hours. Iā€™m not sure what happened to the poop chute. One of my ex-wifeā€™s uncles probably claimed it for sausageā€¦

My Lab/Rotty, Ella who lived to be 16 got the lungs, liver and fatty bits. I hope she got the best life and animal parts I could give her. Sheā€™s my favorite memory of all that.

11 Likes

Football shaped bacon

3 Likes

did you see that ugly hannibal vid I posted- that is the reality/ most all non predator animals die by getting eaten alive.

1 Like

what if you trip balls with the pig and understand each other- but you are still hungry? I can forage and share with the pig- will it share with me? pulled pork.

1 Like

I ate mortadella and hard salami today I donā€™t give a f*** how the hell they killed that damn Pig it was all imported from Italy so itā€™s probably better than wasnā€™t USA

1 Like

Donā€™t worry thump, other countries commercial meat farms treat animals just as bad as the ones in the USAā€¦

8 Likes