Which way is this spun son?!?

Asked of the owner of a brand new fuge for sale in our classifieds.

—————

Do you know if it spins widdershins?

That drain won’t work particularly well if it spins deasil like most do.

Spin that deasil, and it would be expected to suck solvent INTO the fuge…

Same would happen if I spun this one widdershins…

…and I have absolutely had a manufacturer try and sell me a tangential drain ‘fuge that spun the wrong direction for the drain location.

Yes, you can change the direction it spins…but then the (reverse threaded) fastners holding the rotor on tend to unwind…and trust me, THAT gets problematic in a hurry.

Edit: @Akoyeh you’ve spun a yhchem, remember which direction it rotated?!?

6 Likes

It spun clockwise during the spin cycle, to the best of my recollection. It also had the ability to agitate and reverse directions during a “wash” cycle, so I am sure that could be switched without much effort if one were so inclined.

1 Like

You do know most of these use a key and a set screw on both ends?

Eg. It is very tough to ‘un spin’ the unit from its threads.

Even more. Most are press fit onto their shafts, you need a gear remover with a center nut to uncouple them.

…I’ve had one get loose on me.

I’ve also been into fuges from multiple manufacturers

Most use a taper and a key. Additionally, most have the rotor attached to the shaft with a reverse threaded fastner.

Delta doesn’t.
you may not.

Effison, Koray, kingreat and Peony all do.

I’m guessing Toption does as well…will report back if I’m wrong.

6 Likes

I run these centrifuges. They work great and I’ve had no issues with them. Plus if your going to buy this Simple is a solid dude.

1 Like

do you recall which way they rotate during the spin cycle?

for folks asking “what’s wrong with YHCHEM centrifuges?” , note that yhchem is NOT in

Effison, Koray, kingreat and Peony

nowhere have I said there is anything wrong with this machine.

I am curious which way it spins.

Because last time I asked a manufacturer for a tangential drain, they offered one pointing in the same direction as shown on the YHCHEM, on a centrifuge that spun clockwise (which is the direction all those I have run spin in). that would be the WRONG orientation for efficient draining.

IF the fuge spins widdershins, like the pump shown below, then the rotation of the basket will help clear the bowl.

if it spins in the same direction as most, then the rotation of the basket will FIGHT the drain.

3 Likes

Maybe they are Southern Hemisphere models that are designed to match the natural rotation of the earth….

6 Likes

You do know you can reverse the polarity of the incoming current to spin it the other way?

This isn’t as big of an issue as you are proposing it to be.

Seems like you’re fear mongering to me.

Indeed…

I do know of wiggling three legs at once, although that is not explicitly stated in ode to wiggly it IS required to make a motor dance with a VFD

Spinning in the other direction is easy. For the four manufacturer’s I listed, I have interacted with multiple centrifuges, and for some multiple models, ALL have had a reverse threaded fastner involved.

No, but it’s not exactly a feature in most use cases.

K.

Not the intent.

I’ve not operated one or been called in to make one (yhchem) work. The build quality and design, looks great.

Better than any of the (import) brands I’ve found myself interacting with. The lube ports (not sure if those are for the seal or the bearings) are not seen on most imported models. I don’t KNOW which direction it is designed to spin, nor how IT’s rotor is attached.

We agree that you can ACCIDENTALLY set your centrifuge to run counterclockwise (I’ve found them that way several years into their duty), mentioning that the functionality of the drain is dependent on the rotation of the basket is meant as informative.

for potential purchases of this, or any other centrifuge.

1 Like

Exactly.

You ate saying these people make them to operate in the direction you are saying is NOT tangential.

How do you know that these are just not installed with an inexperienced electrician reversing the polarity?

If your threads are coming loose, you need to just apply a permanent red thread lock when it does come loose.

These should have retaining bolts as well, which need to be removed so the shaft can be loosened from the belt pully…

If that set screw or retaining bolt isn’t red thread locked, what do you expect?

Do you blame your car manufacturer if you don’t tighten your lug nuts and your tire comes flying off at 80mph ?

User errors define most of the issues you are claiming are present.

…which makes the solution to INFORM the users.

Absolutely not…but if happened on the way home from the lot I’d probably have a case.

having personally lost a wheel once upon a time because I failed to tighten the lug nuts, is it fear mongering to remind folks who haven’t ever changed a tire that they should be certain they actually got them snug?!?

or good citizenship?

making dumb mistakes (and documenting them), so YOU don’t have to…

3 Likes

Have you met many equipment operators in this industry? Or any? Or humans generally?

As soon as we make something idiot-proof, they invent a new and improved idiot.

If a human can touch it, they can and will fuck it up, no matter how thoughtful and well-engineered the design is.

And I wouldn’t apply the words “thoughtful and well-engineered” to very many of the centrifuges I’ve worked with or on in this industry, regardless of manufacturer.

9 Likes

:rofl: Choose your equipment vendor carefully.

2 Likes

absolutely!

1 Like

Hmm, I like this design, if you put a tee valve right at the drain to some tubing, you could probably use the force of the discharge to recirculate the solvent to get some hot washing action.

2 Likes

That is on the list of things to try with the 1200mm toptions I’m playing with.

It is probably the most trivial way to get recirc out of the HMI I have.

That’s one out of maybe 25-30 that were “my problem” in some way shape or form. It was my first (edit, nope! Second. I had used a CUP at that point) I wasn’t actually running it when it occurred, but it was me that hit the stop button.

Spinlaunch are trying to achieve low earth orbit using a 100meter centrifuge in 2025. Their 33m prototype hits 30k feet last throw, I believe.

Exactly!

And the reasoning behind the new thread title…

Your electrician asks “which way should it go?”

Or doesn’t?!?

Yep, just switch any two leads to reverse your 3-phase motor rotation.

Sound advice found many places around here.

Can also trivially be achieved with a VFD, even via the hmi on some devices.

…BUT if you don’t know your drain will suck if you spin in one direction, and might even drain with such force as to give reasonable recirculation/spray wash in the other, how you gonna tell the sparky to spin it backwards to the clock Spock?

1 Like

you spin me right round baby
:joy:

1 Like

It was this style (not this brand)

Here is how delta does rotor attach & drain

This is the inside of drain I had retrofitted…through a double jacket as it turns out.

Which is why it cost a hair more than expected

That’s a 3”x6” turned in its side, and looks like 6x6 inside.

2 Likes

Woah that’s a shit shaft design lmfao.

Passivate those black tig beads or you’ll see corrosion real quick.