Where can I find a sight glass for this?

Doubtful. Heat like that will change the crystalline structure of the metal, often making it more brittle. There’s a reason QC calls out excessive heat, the welds have a tendency to cause cracks in the base metal if you overdo it

5 Likes

Wish I could find the thread about the hemp place that burned down, I remember they planned to re use some of there cls parts…

Iirc lots more info in that one about the steel etc

Wish I could remember the user who posted that. Drawing a blank.

1 Like

This’n?

Already seen people do it for months with the other shit that got burned… the inside looks like new…ish.

It’s a bomb waiting to go off, but I guess go ahead and follow your friends jumping off that bridge

3 Likes

No this was a user posting here about their facility.

Found it

Only a few posts about it, basically saying the same shit people have said here LOL

Well that wasn’t as helpful as I had hoped haha

3 Likes

I doubt 30 psi and a little bit of warm water will hurt… though maybe you’re right I’ll look into it more and rethink it

1 Like

I wonder how many of these are out in the hills from all the fires.
Definitely look into resurfacing the seal flanges minimal

2 Likes

Is it warped? Have you tried bolting another flange to it?

You need to kill the girl and her protector. Take the protectors gear and you should be golden to keep extracting.

5 Likes

Don’t be a fucking moron. That thing is toast.

6 Likes

Why do you think it’s toast? Because it has slight discoloration? :cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat:

Because the heating and cooling processes that tank has seen probably wasn’t conducive to a proper annealing. You don’t know how hot it got while it was in the fire and you also don’t know how quickly it was cooled.

If somebody hosed that thing off while it was hot I’d say that it’s probably not safe to use because it will be brittle as hell.

Either way it’s a profoundly stupid gamble.

4 Likes

I’ve taken that into consideration. Maybe I’ll just make it into a bbq. Maybe I’ll use it… dunno.

Could have it x rayed. Probably would want to get a quote on pricing since not just the welds will need to be checked.

1 Like

Stainless usually is tested with phased array ultrasound. You could hit the whole thing with dye penetrant and developer

2 Likes

Shows u how much I’ve messed with stainless

1 Like

Ok so what if it slightly less aspergers than it was before and got a tiny bit miniscus… is it really an issue with 30-40 psi and hot water running through it? Oh yeah and the cold butane forgot about that but still… I see no issues…

What’s got me concerned is that cracks may have developed in the side walls. If there are cracks that have formed, then using it in an application where it’s gonna alternate from cold to hot often is only going to make those cracks grow with use.

That’s cracks potential to eventually rupture is compounded by the fact that it’s a pretty large vessel. The longer (in length) the crack is able to propagate, the weaker the whole structure is and the more likely it is to fail catastrophically.

If you want to use it, just talk to someone that can tell you if cracks have begun to form.

3 Likes

You want you use butane in this and hot water and see no problem?

Always plan for the worst and this might be the worst idea on this forum right now.

Do not use this for a gas. Maybe ethanol as a holding tank but not as a sealed pressured holding tank.

7 Likes