When it comes to job offers on here

I can relate to this topic. Two years ago I started running a lab for some investors, my starting salary wasn’t the best but they offered me equity and opportunity to grow. Two years later and I’ve made them lots of money and top shelf products. I asked for an evaluation and a raise and i had to argue with the ceo when he said “why do you feel ENTITLED to a raise?” That pissed me off. It sucks having tons of people showing up to a lab saying shit like “fuck this is fire!” “Who did this?” And not getting the recognition one deserves. It’s more about respect to me at this point. Fortunately for me, good work shows and pays for its self. I’m now getting job offers left and right, I actually have options on where and who i want to work with. So yeah, keep on pushing and fuck these lowball assholes, someone will see your true potential and offer an opportunity you deserve and have worked for. Company im with is going to loose me cause they “cant afford” to pay me. Loyalty can only get you so far.
Just venting i guess. :v:t3:

6 Likes

Man I feel this bro. Ive been at this since I got back from the army in 2008. I had some good years and some bad. Ive helped so many people start grows and maintain them throughout the years and i had lots of false promises too. Thats always disheartening for sure when that happens. My thing is I’m a pretty good grower but I suck at marketing and the selling end of stuff. Ive always been on my own more or less when it came to growing so when im sitting there with a full garden it stresses me out cuz ive had my stuff sit in storage for far to long! Im transitioning into doing my cls full time and its definitely something I love doing especially since finding all you guys. Hopefully I can be better at marketing with this than with flower :joy:

4 Likes

Man, I so disagree with this.

When I was in pharma / oil and gas—you have to complete 2-4 interviews before a salary offer is made. Additionally, techs in the hash industry seem to think in their mid-20s with 2 years of experience they should be making 6-figures. Which is absolutely fucking ludicrous.

Beyond that, when you provide your compensation package to every Joe Schmo that comes your way, you will inevitably be put on blast by some shithead who thinks they’re worth more than they are.

How many employees do you manage? Do you have an HR department? Are you paying your techs 6 figures? What is your impetus behind bad mouthing every potential employer on the forum?

I’m confused.

16 Likes

who are you referring to Phil??

i completely agree with the sentiment that some people expectations of pay with no risk is pretty far off of reality.

6 Likes

If I could like this twice I would.

FYI @anon16547145 I’m young but I’ve bet I’ve fired more people with 6 figure salaries than you’ve ever hired.

And I would never work for a startup as a non-major partner that doesn’t vest their options/equity. As many have said, you can’t squeeze water out of a rock and no matter how much value you can produce, someone else can fuck it up. Its a shame so many have been screwed in this industry (sorry @Akoyeh, sucks to be the guy who rolls no pass 10 times in a row) but I think @Swet254k is a pretty good example of how good talent goes with employers that don’t recognize it. Everyone has shitty jobs and eventually everyone worthwhile finds a career.

Lastly, as an employer if you want a guarantee, you’re going to be an employee and paid as such. If you want the Grand Prix (equity) you better believe you’re going to be as broke as the rest of the owners if the ship goes down. If you don’t trust the other partners enough for that, don’t go into business with them. Simple as that.

11 Likes

I’m talking about @anon16547145 the OP

He’s complained about every single employment listing—then we create a thread on how to improve employment listings and he provides zero insight.

Sure, the guy makes some okay points but provides absolutely no solutions. Bitchin for the sake of bitchin.

6 Likes

I think he makes a lot of good points. The fact is there was a long period, and still is to a certain extent, where you could scoop up people who were really talented but inexperienced in business (either recent grads or people who worked the illegal market their whole life) just because they thought jobs in legal weed were cool and had fantasies it would make money. And it was easy to scam them and say “hey take $15/hr now and when we’re making bank i’ll give you a big raise, trust me”. No contracts, just words. I mean if you’re someone with a lot of experience you’ll look at this and say “lol they were rubes” but i’ve seen really smart people get suckered by this, especially 3-4 years ago back. And it really grosses me out to see people trying to continue doing this crap even now when the market’s tanking.

5 Likes

i would happily pay someone 100-125K a year to do my job as i do it, with a share of what they bring in on top of the documented growth.

im still waiting for an answer about my resume/cover letter question? if you were applying for 100K+ job would you expect to send a resume and cover letter into that business or would you just say “we havent got that far, just call me killa12345”

4 Likes

I once literally had an applicant tell me “my instagram is my resume”. Didn’t even do an interview after that just laughed my ass off.

9 Likes

bro… im speaking from experience… LOL i know this happens in the industry!! :joy: :rofl: :joy:

that is why i brought up the question because you would be surprised it happens more than you think!

1 Like

I would never hire someone who can’t be bothered to write a resume. Won’t even interview them.

4 Likes

5 years ago i would have taken any 100K job in this industry… i wouldnt have cared other than to get in the door and make a name for myself

i probably would have taken anything over 85k… Its not like i couldnt still trap on the side…

2 Likes

I bet you would only do that if you were very very confident they could actually do your job. I’ve never seen $100k buy accountability though, that’s a personality trait not a resume item. And if you did find someone who could “be you”, you’d pay them as much as you thought they were worth for fear of having to go back to doing it yourself.

6 Likes

Willing to put your money where your mouth is? Oregon has zero sales tax, and I’m still available for hire…

Only half way kidding, as I’m ready to be my own boss and crush it with spicy foods. Haha

9 Likes

100%… I think there are some people here that could do my job. It does take a special work ethic though…

Im not saying im the hardest worker out there…but its not easy

i would be willing to if that person had no problem doing all the manual labor i do on a daily basis plus have at least a similar knowledge of extracting…

My job is much more manual labor than anything else…just hard ass labor…

and i wouldnt want to distract you from your real dream it seems…

My dream was to work with weed for the rest of my life…im doing it

5 Likes

The real issue with accountability is its very very very hard to find people that legitimately care for someone else’s ANYTHING as much as you do. Honestly I find that to be the single most important criterion for finding someone I want to have working with us. Its a real mofo to interview for though lol. And it takes constant care, if you don’t give a fuck about the business or people doing the work its nearly impossible to get that behavior IME.

6 Likes

yep…thats why i think giving that person a part of the bottom line would be the motivating factor… I think if someone could work hard here and make 250K+ with bottom line bonus it makes it a very interesting job for a lot in FL with no state tax

and im not talking hypothetical… ive been kicking around the idea of bringing on a minority partner…

6 Likes

Probably a good call BUT: make sure to vest the equity. You’d be amazed the strong face some shitheads can put on for a week-month, after 6 months-a year its pretty hard for anyone to hide their true color.

4 Likes

That’s what i’ve been saying in all of these threads. If people instituted a real, contractual profit sharing program (doesn’t even need to be equity), they could hire at a low rate and not be full of crap. I am just baffled people are so resistant to this idea.

1 Like