When it comes to job offers on here

Please list the compensation package!

Here is a little linked in post that reminded me of all the help wanted posts on here I have seen.

20 Likes

It boils down to this:

If you can’t hire like a real business does then you probably aren’t a real business :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

ive been to several interviews before an offer was made and they asked what my salary expectations are.

I dont see a big difference here.

does this go 2 fold when applying for a job without a resume or/and cover letter? If your interviewing for a job…arent you suppose to send those over?

9 Likes

Every cannabis company I’ve ever worked for has asked me what I am looking for on a salary in the initial interviews. I always bluffed and ended up making a little more than I would have been happy with.

11 Likes

Every job I’ve had posts compensation but who actually takes the compensation that is offered without negotiating first? Might as well just ask the potential candidate what they are looking for - I imagine that would shorten the negotiation time. And I think letting someone give you their worth tells you a lot about who they are based on their credentials and what they ask for. Good way to feel a candidate out.

Edit: Now that I am running a processing facility, I always ask potential candidates - at any level - what they feel is a fair compensation for them.

1 Like

I personally feel it is a lowballing strategy. They want to pay as little as possible.

Who the fuck wants to work for a lowballer? It’s a huge red flag. They will lowball your equipment amd facility and helpers. They will eventually lowball your underlings into taking your job after they fire you.

5 Likes

Asking someone’s compensation expectations is not a low balling tactic. I’m from a completely different industry and hire/interview a lot of candidates. The simple question of what they expect is a filter. If they expect $42/hr and 4 weeks vacation, but my top paid performer of 15 years makes $38, I can either pursue a practical evaluation to see if I even want to offer $38 or write them off because I think they’re a cunt. Almost 90% of the time, the best workers will humbly rate themselves lower, get the job and show me that they’re worth way more before their 3 months probation is up.

10 Likes

When you create a position in a company you already have the amount you can pay budgeted.

You already know the amount.

Not listing a range is a negotiation tactic and nothing more. Not a great way to start a relationship and will probably indicate how the rest of the relationship will go.

1 Like

I don’t know if I necessarily agree with that. Sure there may be a budget but exceptions can always be made and I would always push for supporting a higher compensation than budgeted for if the candidate has the qualifications and has a great interview.

Sure sometimes it doesn’t end up working out but I feel compensation is always negotiable, budget or no budget.

1 Like

Then what do you do with the info after they tell you how much they should be paid? Do you just pay them what they ask?

You dont.

You negotiate from that point always in a downward manner.

Have you ever offered someone more than they ask?

It’s not an act of altruism. Its negotiation.

Imagine negotiating with a date. You ask them how many dates to get in their pants to guage their insecurities and then try to get in their pants in less dates. Not very romantic.

3 Likes

If someone were to ask for 12$/hr and I was planning on offering 15$/hr, I would still offer 15$/hr. As I had mentioned earlier, asking someone their fair compensation isn’t always just a tactic for paying someone less but you can gauge their ability to self evaluate and what they feel they are worth. So yes, I have in fact offered people jobs for a higher compensation than they asked for. I don’t see why that’s a problem?

Edit: If they end up asking for more, then sure maybe I’ll try to negotiate lower OR I’ll go ahead and pay what they ask for if they significant credentials, had a great interview, and I get the feeling they work hard.

4 Likes

If compensation is negotiable then by that logic so is the amount of work someone will do for that amount of compensation.

Imagine someone asks for 100k and you counter with 60k amd they counter with “cool but that will only get you 3 days a week not 5 like you want”

Same thing both ways and a potential hire responding like that would be laughed out of an interview.

This isn’t an hourly pay kind of talk. You are talking unskilled labor at that pay rate. They take what they can get.

Apples and oranges.

Does the same philosophy apply when you zero offering 100k and they ask for 125?

1 Like

And a good manager will make that compromise. This industry is the worst for people thinking they are worth their weight in gold, hence the reason I am not in it anymore.

3 Likes

If it wasn’t Friday. I’d be up for this debate but I really don’t agree with most that have been said.

The cannabis industry for one is not like most industries which makes most job offers like a homie offering a job.

5 Likes

Seems pretty predatory.

So in the employer’s view a “good employee” is the one that undervalues themselves to your benefit.

Its a symbotic relationship. You should both need each other

5 Likes

Not with weed people. It takes very little home scale medical growing to equal a salary offered. Anyone that has real weed skills will never need a job.

5 Likes

Good god man, do you know how many top dog growers I’ve met that can’t scale beyond their closet. Sexy nugs with two lights. What can you do with 200 lights?

4 Likes

This is usually for young people and if it’s not legal. There comes a time where you have to hang it up.

There is always a risk reward thing but growing ain’t for everyone. There is risk even if legal with rippers and other unforseeable things. Here that would be hurricanes knocking out power for a month.

I think much of the lines of you @anon16547145. Where I almost know I can never go broke. I can always take 5-10k and pop up a grow somewhere. Toll some extracts for someone. So I think the same. We are what is considered “bosses”.

There are “workers” on the other hand that don’t wanna throw it all on the line. My employee is one. He knows mad plugs but just rather work 50 hours a week. He’s not the ceo type.

Your confusing the 2 ambitions of 2 totally different mindsets

13 Likes