What temp to distill EtoH for yellow?

So every time I’ve been distilling EtoH mixtures in my rotovap I’ve been going 70°c and getting dark concentrates even though I filter my stuff at least 4 times over. I came to the conclusion I may be going too high with temps during the rotovap.

What temp do you guys go on the roto for color preservation?

I’m at 50c, -27gh
It’s always gonna be dark due to the heat used.

Edit
Mine heads to the spd

30C but then I still need to do crc teck on the crude to keep it yellow as crude

1 Like

So nmw I’ll never get yellow eho via rotovap? Then why am I even doing ethanol extractions?

@TheLostBiologist has a tek on golden ethanol shatter- search bar time my dude.

2 Likes

You could try and run deep vacuum and a real cold condenser and you might have some success on better color? Keep the evap temp around 30 or something

1 Like

@Roguelab what type of crc are you doing.

This one too dark for you? It was slow and lazy at - 20 deep freeze temp, just to see how dark it would be, but ethanol crc took care of the green from those warm Temps easy enough.
Rotoed @35c

I second what @Rowan said. That Tek is worth the time to read thoroughly and make adjustments to your SOPs. Worked really well for me! I was able to scale it nicely.

Edit: Forgot to answer the question. Haha. We used to run at 30 or 35C. It always darkened from the tincture color, which was nearly water clear, but ended up just where it needed to be. Pre-warming your tincture and only feeding the roto as much as it is evaporating can also help too. That’ll reduce residence time at temp and speed up the process as a whole.

3 Likes

Actually ethanol crc should just be called lost biologist tek cause really his filter cake works the best for me out of what I’ve tried so far. That’s if your goal is ethanol shatter

5 Likes

@puccinia can you elaborate for me the ethanol crc?

Really just used @TheLostBiologist’s tek. But if you skip his quick wash, have dark green solution, then it becomes ethanol crcwhen you filter

2 Likes

Search bar.

"ethanhqdefault

8 Likes

I tried it with d.e. and coconut derrived a.c. got the color out and when I rotovap it i get a red concentrate.

My probIem is ,I have golden mixtures coming out dark brown after rotovap.

Roto bath at what temp ?

Usually 70°C.

That’s the reason of darkening really need to keep evaporation temps low
But that will mean
Chiller main condenser at around -10 C
Receiving flask cooled to 0C
And coldtrap around -40 C
On the roto

5 Likes

Thank you. I was curious of I should’ve been following the rule of halfs and going 35°C. So basically by being up at 70°C I was creating RSO.

Maybe try switching to hardwood AC. From what I understand, it works better for color remediation.

3 Likes

30c/30c was the golden area no pun intended

1 Like