What do you extract with and why?

avacado oil works fine

10 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to drain my water today and fill it back up a gallon at a time and see how much avacado oil I would need.

Just found 5 gallon here for $155, definitely a lot cheaper than the super lube 100cst silicone oil: 100% Pure Avocado Oil - 5 Gallon Pail

1 Like

theres even cheaper shit too. youre looking for any high smoke point cooking oil

4 Likes

Why not dump the rotovap wash into your spd bf. Spd bf into mantle. No vac, insert thermometer, and finish purging and decarbing this way?

This is how I do it currently. Takes me under 1hr.

5 Likes

I’m currently getting a lot of burnt water solubles when I decarb and it would be a pain to clean out of my larger 20l spd boiling flask.

Also since I’m planning to do degumming, saline washes and heptane T-5/T-41 scrubs after decarbing I would just have to pour it out of the 20l spd to do more preprocessing.

I am thinking that would make sense for the final solvent punch out after I recover most of the heptane in rotovap. Now I’m wondering if could bring it the oil up to decarb temps a second time while using my rotovap diaphragm pump with my 20l spd to pull some more volitales out before switching to my Alcatel for the spd run.

2 Likes

@IsolationChamberLab
Pro tip for you then. If you filter with enough t5 before you roto you avoid that burnt stuff decarbing, and if there happens to be any left anyways you know you didn’t use enough t5. That’s what I do, t5,celite, t41 filter directly after extraction. Roto. Then hot scrub carbon (might actually do the t41 here instead with the carbon) and now gonna start degumming again at the same time. Last filter will have alumina and silica 60 to finish it and winterize after. That’s the plan at least.

4 Likes

What’s T5?

1 Like

Is it the same process with hexane or different? Just curious not movin in on your turf :yum:

As ethanol

Why not extract with hexane? I’m guessing you’re warm alcohol extracting? I hate the clumping shit that ethanol crude produces when decarbed

3 Likes

If I were you I’d degum, and do the scrubs before winterizing. You’re going to be doing alot of extra work you could avoid if you changed the order of your steps. I’d also decarb before anything, you wont have to worry about the clumping sugars if you’re using hexane

3 Likes

See you do hexane-> methanol but I feel like methanol → hexane is just as advantageous

close to my sop I roll with hexane and love my results

1 Like

took me a lot to decarb to the same no stink level with an open beaker and heat gun

the vac decarb sure seems to pull a lot of the shitty stink into your shitty rotovap pump instead of your spd high vacuum pump way easier to keep my big pump clean, upgrading to another cold trap on my fullbore setup

3 Likes

What temperature do you winterize at with your methanol? Are you still doing room temp winterization

1 Like

If I’m working with dark ethanol crude I do it your way, if I’m extracting I go with hexane. Methanol sucks to evaporate so I try to use the least amount as possible

5 Likes

I’ve just ordered a 55 gallon drum of both hexane and methanol from carbon chemistry and will be switching very soon.

3 Likes

I’ve been throwing it into freezer for 8 hours, I do a warm filter then a cold filter. I could use water to winterize at room temp but it have to reproof my methanol and that’s too much work IMO lol

Does anyone know if the Panda spinner’s seals are compatible with hexane?
Currently have my extract sop dialed in for cold ethanol wondering hexane could just be a simple drop in solvent replacement or if I would need to switch up equipment

1 Like