What butane extractor do you recommend?

We get it from trusted material brokers. Some comes from US some comes from elsewhere. It is meticulously tested in-house to ensure provenance.

Sadly most of these companies think they are buying low carbon 304 on their imported vessels and parts and it isn’t.

Can’t tell you how much Chinese “304” I’ve seen with rust on it or that you could stick a magnet to it.

6 Likes

@GreenMachine_Consult Interesting, and scary.

6" and smaller diameter columns/spools are considered process piping and they are not regulated by any ASME certification. Above 6" and it may become a pressure vessel so any 8" material columns would need a stamp for an approved system.

You’re right about that @anon16547145. Carl and Larry have welded plenty in house, but on certified hydrocarbon systems, the tanks come from American ASME pressure vessel fabricators. Ironfist jackets the pressure vessel if needed, makes the stand, etc. Part of the process that ASME requires is a stringent hydrostatic testing procedure. You can’t skip that test on a pressure vessel for hydrocarbons…

There were only a few tanks from Alaskan Copper. I consider them unicorns for a few reasons, they’re 350psi rated and the absolute burliest tanks I have ever seen on a hydrocarbon extractor. Current tanks come from Anderson Dahlen, an American ASME shop. U stamp for larger volume high pressure vessel.

Either way, If you search the tanks manufacturer, Locate ASME Certified Companies - ASME you should find all the information. Filter by “U” type for Pressure Vessels to make sure you’re looking at the correct cert.

If the manufacturer of the tanks is not on this list, then they may not be legitimately ASME conforming pressure vessels. And that’s fucking terrifying.

6 Likes

EXACTLY! Search all these guys who have the ASME logo on their sites on the actual ASME registry and you won’t find a single one.

1 Like

What do you regret about going with the ETS system?

If quality of stainless and construction is important than I do not think you made a mistake especially compared to Precision

The quality of the metal on the rack and tanks, the threads in the NPT ports on the stainless let alone the quality of valves, gaskets, etc on the Precision equipment that I have encountered has strongly implanted in me a desire to steer anyone I can away from their equipment. What looks good to you about their systems after purchasing and operating the ETS?

1 Like

The ets is built like a tank. I personally don’t like the design. I like the larger reactor style collection vessels like the ex40 but without a manifolded solvent delivery.

1 Like

I bought the collection vessel from this system.

https://www.extractorsolutions.com/product-page/10-lb-rack-mounted-active-closed-loop-extraction-system.

1 Like

Be careful with that large diameter clamp on the collection vessel. Anything over 6” gets kinda scary with any significant pressure.

I’m not new here and I fully understand how to run my system safely.

5 Likes

You can’t really compare PE to ETS. I have barebones quotes from both, but the PX1 is not identical to the MiNi-MEP and you just have to accept that fact.

The quality of the SS was very important to me, that’s why I chose ETS. ETS uses very expensive parts, yep, and the consumer will pay for every bit of that and more.

So when you break these companies down look at it like this, you’re buying their design, the work they put in with ancillary companies like Huber and Julabo, the correct training, and a good parts/service relationship. Or so you hope.

My current issue while my “tank” machine is great, it also requires more than the CC902 they paired with it to get it to temp. My options to discount sell my CC902 to buy the next step up is going to cost me thousands.

and just touch touch on the “tank” again. While the machine is paired with incredibly strong metal, the gaskets will absolutely fail WELLLLLLLLL before that because the BUNA gaskets don’t handle extremely cold temperatures and pressure simultaneously. So while it’s cool to build a car with a drive-train that can sustain 350mph, if the tires your tires blowout at 120mph what’s the point?

All those fancy swagelok quick disconnects they install on the machine that you paid for? yep, they’ll fail fast. Hardline quick or get burned by cold propane.

Hindsight is cool, but I SINCERELY wish I would’ve just paid a consultant $10k off this forum to come and build it right and not deal with what I currently am dealing with.

Also don’t buy the god damn Corkin from them, just call Corkin. Fuck me when they came to my lab and laughed at me from the invoice price.

9 Likes

Aside from the gaskets and quick connects, I’ve been running an MEP for about two years now and it’s very straight forward and easy to operate. Only thing I dislike is the dual Haskell pumps noise.

1 Like

That said, those clamps are a terrible design,

Are you referring to the basic high pressure clamps?

1 Like

Ive not had issues with N BUNA gaskets and extreme temperature. The gaskets are relatively cheap though so I replace them when needed. What gasket would work better? The PTFE gaskets do not work well at all. They do if these vessel is never taken apart, but if it is they warp and turn to shit.

2 Likes

What model corken do you have, looking for a new pump solution myself

T91, and it’s bad ass.

1 Like

Buna gaskets aren’t meant to go below -40 or so. Anytime I’ve had a buna gasket at -80 and applied pressure it has leaked :sob:

Thanks for sharing so many details, that may help guide many others looking to purchase hydrocarbon extractors going forward.

Absolutely accept the systems aren’t identical and have a lot more differences than a Toyota Camry to a Honda Civic. I value the stainless first, “hard” fixed accessories (tough to replace) like valves, fittings, heat exchangers second; ancillary equipment like heaters and chillers third off. But, quality can be best in the world, if the capabilities / sizes and shapes aren’t what you need and it becomes a limiting factor, obviously not the right tool for the job. I also prefer the larger tank style systems - I like being able to run one, or every column of the system at once if I want, and to have adequate solvent and room in collection available to run the system however I choose. The lack of a chilled refrigerant supply tank with the MEP has always been a mystery to me.

I’ve never seen a “turn key” hydrocarbon extractor paired with what I’d consider adequate heating power in and out. Precision’s PX1 supplied with a 600w heater did not get the job done. Nor did their branded Thermofisher chiller which lasted ~6-9 months IIRC.

I use FKM gaskets from Rubber Fab and have had no issues with leaks to ~80F

And I agree with you about the Swagelok quick disconnects. Either service them frequently or replace with JIC or other simple connections.

Re: Corkin pump; yes, the price on their maintenance kits and material socks certainly lead me to believe that anything purchased from them will have a significant markup attached, cutting out a middle man nearly always saves money. That’s the price of convenience, I suppose.

1 Like

We have certifiable systems with Dewax and CRC with sauce server and jacketted recovery tanks on deck 8-10lbs capacity - $25k

734-905-7477

6 Likes

Do any of these companies offer financing on this kind of equipment? Banks here in oklahoma wont touch anything associated with medical marijuana, although I have not Looked into extraction units.

1 Like

Not that I know of