Who makes your favorite hydrocarbon extraction system. What makes it your favorite over others?

You could just make a material & crc rack. Would only be some end caps, fittings, hosing, a rack and some mounts. Unless you changed something drastically, the Work flow should be the same (but without having to use a 10ft ladder)

5 Likes

ol’ Walt is that you? what’s your ig these days

2 Likes

Is tube in shell a condensing column?

If so your going to need another chiller just for that. Unless you want to do 1 run and wait 2 hours for your chiller to get to temp again.

We put the crc column on the collection, have the bottom of the tube clean with a gasket underneath sitting on a clean piece of parchment, put the injection cap on top then attach the bottom of material column to crc. So luckily we haven’t had to use a ladder in a few years. But ya totally get what you’re saying. Just hasn’t been worth the money/time for me to actually make a rack

Wow, that’s terrifying. Sounds like Luna knows a lot more about electronics and automation than they do about extraction.

I would rather have an automated extractor built by a reputable American stainless fab company with a track record of making SAFE, high throughput units proven to produce a top quality product with industry standard components and no undersized jank or brass components, with an added layer of automation, than an automated seat of the pants system put together by people who don’t know what needs to be used for safe extraction across a range of temperatures that lasts for years in industrial settings - that may spring a hydrocarbon leak and with no operator present in room to respond to situation, could create bad scenario for a whole building. A closed loop extractor that’s not able to distill gas out of the box and has to be modified to void engineering certification - Wow. That’s insane.

I cannot stand industrial machinery so tightly crammed together that it is not easy to access valves and nuts / bolts / fittings / valves for maintenance and service. Manufacturers that make cold temperature gear without accounting for insulation clearance and ice buildup are obviously not familiar with the processes we are doing and IMHO you shouldn’t support second wave companies coming in to sell expensive half-engineered gear. Support second wave companies coming in to sell properly field tested, well designed, long lasting, SAFE gear.

10 Likes

It’s… not a good look to be ashamed of the plates on your hydrocarbon extractor. In fact being secretive of traceable serial numbered plates should be a massive fucking red flag to the potential purchaser of said expensive supposed stainless.

Buy quality stainless from companies transparent about the materials they are made from and the testing and certification process they are supposed to comply with.

I’ve never been to the BZB facility, and I sure as hell haven’t signed any sort of NDA, so here you go.

10 Likes

A big enough chiller will do it all good sir.

1 Like

For the prices he charges it should be made in America. Especially since several systems have had catastrophic failures he blames on material quality. China is notorious for sending out jank shit even if your request and pay otherwise.

I’ve tried to get my company to mfg for him for awhile but he probably wouldn’t like losing all that money he custies people out of on china steel. He says it’s all mostly made in America anyways. I don’t buy it.

Egg roll ethics.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ll probably build one next year when COVID is over and I can go to trade shows again.

My company are EXPERTS at automation and I’ve sketched up a cls or 2 in my time so I think we gonna be putting out a pretty sweet system.

But these things aren’t cheap when put together correctly so we will probably only be selling to big fish. No sense in automation on a 5lb garage unit.

4 Likes

At least you know with that U and RT3 stamp that there’s an insurance company involved if the vessel were to fail. Unless they totally just lied and stamped it without an AI. It’s always worth getting the design docs from Natnl Board to check if you have doubts.

As far as I’m concerned, an ASME stamp is an ASME stamp. As long as you verify it wasn’t faked, the country of origin shouldn’t be a concern.

4 Likes

Don’t care about insurance if I’m dead because fake Chinese stainless failed. As has happened (failures, unsure of injury/deaths) multiple times with bzb gear.

Can you find record of Shanghai L&H Stainless Equipment Co., Ltd. registered with ASME? The ASME CA Connect system’s database probably doesn’t have China entered as it’s not in the drop-down list.

1 Like

There are definitely legit shops in China, especially since some of the big manufacturers have locations overseas (like Westinghouse and Copeland).

What I meant about the AI/insurance company is that there is someone checking their work that has a very vested interest. There are a very limited number of ASME approved inspection agencies and they’re not going to let one of their clients fake documentation.

Edit: it’s under People’s Republic of China but I can’t find L&H. The search is really shitty though it says there are no results unless you narrow it down a lot. Took 3 tries to get my certificate to come up and I know how it is filed lol

3 Likes

I’m running a custom system right now , in a licnesed lab . I have two negative 80 chillers . One is needed for the condensing column for the recovery . Believe me because I’m doing it now . One is dedicated just to the condensing column , the other one cools my entire system and a heat exchanger.

2 Likes

What is the power rating of your “-80” chillers?

you made me nervous having a bizzy so I had to check haha

4 Likes

Thank you Codeman, how did you find that? I wasn’t using the right search tool for China ASME

*edit:

Thank you for the update Sid

20 years in service isn’t too bad

1 Like

I didn’t see china in the drop down either so for the keyword I just put Shanghai

2 Likes

I also put Shanghai and the tool turned up nothing. Like @SidViscous the search is shitty… not intuitive whatsoever.

1 Like

Now the other trick if you really don’t trust them is call up NB at get the K1 for that vessel and check it matches the nameplate. I doubt very much that they would fudge it but stranger things have happened

2 Likes