Weird little “balls” using 710 spirits for winterization

Our lab recently obtained a sample of 710 spirits denatured alcohol which is an ethanol heptane mix for diluting and winterizing our crude. After my first few jars I realized these were little “balls” (that’s what she said) were forming at the top and sides. They aren’t bubbles, I can feel and squeeze them a bit lol. Things look good after filtering, but wondering what these are. And opinions on 710 spirits for winterizing in general.

Could be globules of heptane/emultion.


What do you think the heptane would be emulsifying with?

could be a number of things, can you tell me if the pic is before/ after evaporation? post or pre filtration?

Indeed please give us more info. I was over to this stuff soon too

1 Like

Polar Heads?

Lipids and Phospholipids. … Each lipid molecule contains a hydrophilic region, also called a polar head region, and a hydrophobic, or nonpolar tail region. Figure %: Basic Lipid Structure. The hydrophilic region is attracted to aqueous water conditions while the hydrophobic region is repelled from such conditions.

The heptane and ethanol form an azeotrope, so I highly doubt it’s an emulsion.

@Eastcoaststrange What type of crude is it and at what ratio are you mixing it? It looks like you’re not using enough alcohol to get an effective solution.

Edit: I use 710 spirits with only a few deviations from traditional ethanol processing. (i.e. higher rotovap temp to match speeds as the azeotrope has a higher BP) Works well in my opinion.

1 Like

That all depends if there is alot of h20 in there, that can seporate the two.
Im still waiting to hear back from @Eastcoaststrange to figure out exactally where in the workup this is occuring, your best guess is good as mine right now!:man_shrugging:


If he/she has that much water in there, they’ve likely got more pressing issues, haha.


You mind sharing some of your experiences with 710spirits’ product? I too am considering trying out their product but looking for more feedback - your insight would be very valuable for a few of us on here

1 Like

I use it to post-process CO2 extract, as mentioned in the other post, it requires very little deviation from traditional ethanol processing. I’m unable to be specific in said deviations.

In my experience, it works just as effectively as 190 proof ethanol. I haven’t noticed any difference in potency, color, smell, etc.

I cannot speak to its’ efficacy as an extraction solvent.


We sell a shit ton of that formula and its very popular for extraction in the hemp world.

I process both cannabis and hemp at this point so having a blended formula for a fraction of the price would be very economical for my production.

However, I keep hearing that users of the blend have had to make ‘small’ adjustments to their process but cant find anyone to clarify what those alterations are in order to determine how it will affect my process or process rate…

1 Like

What is your process? What are you trying to do with it? There are ways to determine what adjustments need to be made.

warm Etoh extraction primarily destined for distillation or isolation.

If you take into account that the azeotrope has a higher boiling point (only by a couple of degrees) you can deduce that it will take a bit more heat/vac to purge.

Other than that you will pull some more/different waxes because your polarity is a bit different. It’s very unlikely you’ll have to change much.

If that is the only change to factor than it sounds like a no brainer to make the switch. However, it’s the common hesitation to disclose all the alterations from the few users of the blend I’ve found that concern me. Even 710spirits claims their clients have only had to make minor adjustments but dont specify what those changes are…

Hi all and very sorry for the delayed response. This is being used to dilute my crude for buchner filtering. I run my Material in my cls, take my resulting slabs and pack them up and put them in a freezer until I can use them. When ready, I take 2 oz of oil, mix it with 20 oz 710 spirits and mix in hot plate until it’s all mixed. Place in freezer for two days to chunk up, and then buchner. Just wondering chemically if something is going wrong or if I’m capturing what I need


Hey there, we saw your post on the other thread and also shot you an email about your question, but wanted to also post in here to make sure you saw. As @ExTek90 mentioned, the only change required is a slight increase in temperature to ensure all heptane is purged. I was having trouble finding the post, but I know I saw a thread where @Future mentioned some people changing the material of their tubes and seals, but that hasn’t been feedback we’ve received from many people and as @Shadownaught mentioned there are a ton of people using this formula effectively. I’ll try to track down that post and add it on here for reference.