Water soluble cannabinoids without nanoemulsions or encapsulation

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5536339

Freshly uploaded, so if the link doesn’t work now try tomorrow

also I am a child so I added a secret message :musical_note:

11 Likes

How is it you are able to introduce the THC resinous material ?
In this “clear solution” of neutral cannabinoid…are you sure you do not have polyols as substitute for alcohol…I think the key for whether you true emulsion is the oil factor. Do you have a detergent solution that is clear first. The question is not what you are starting with……it is what spontaneously appears after the addition of water….
That is the solution that appears opaque and structured.

Or am I confused about which step you introduce your cannabinoid?

SNEDDS are super cool because of how low-energy it is, for what it can do. I haven’t made them, but I’d love to try. Soft-gel pills could be a good delivery method if the solution doesn’t dissolve them.

My math was based on mg into total solution weight. For ex:
5g of 90% distillate in 10g EtOH + 15g of water+other.

@dankfrank, Welcome to the community!

I was curious what the cross section looked like on your FNP.stl model, How well does this design work ? lol I mean provided it was stainless and not PLA

I like that it seems low rent but i am totally skeptical that it will work as well as a flow cell, but hey, maybe im wrong :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

There’s a clear liquid, homogeneous. Let’s call it the base. Whatever emulsifiers, phase transfer agents etc., which need to go in, are present in that base. The active ingredient I mentioned, qualifies to be called a polyphenol in some ways, and a very conjugated one at that (it’s colored; and H-bonding with the cannabinoid is possibly involved). Into this base, the THC resinous material, as you suggested, is added in a molten state, with stirring, at around 60 °C. Once a clear solution is obtained (in case of THCO, instead of a clear solution, a translucent to opaque emulsion is obtained; in case of all other commercially available decarboxylated cannabinoids, it’s usually a clear solution; in case of Δ¹⁰-THC, it’s unpredictable), the stirring is ceased. This solution is the water-soluble tincture. When an aliquot of this water-soluble tincture is added to water, we get what, to the naked eye, seems like an emulsion - the one you suggested is opaque and structured. For CBG, this opaque and structured system is not obtained, and the CBG merely precipitates out from the water.

1 Like

Well, if you do have to use ethanol, and some emulsifiers/surfactants, my suggestion would be to leave just the water out. Now, you can encapsulate this cannabinoid + ethanol + emulsifier - an anhydrous mixture, using a matrix which is soluble in water, but insoluble in the above anhydrous mixture. There are a few tricks here, but you can obviously figure out. Now, when this encapsulated material - soft gel, capsule or whatever it is - comes in contact with water (inside our body or in a glass), the encapsulation matrix dissolves → contents of the anhydrous mixture (cannabinoid + ethanol + emulsifier) are released into water → an emulsion of some capacity is formed.

1 Like

Anhydrous moeity, heavily cropped (not sorry lol). I got some tricks and toys lol.

2 Likes

Stainless would be badass. It’s pretty much modeled after the first page of google results for “confined impinging jet mixer”.

I’m not sure on it being a flow cell persay, but slapping syringes to shoot fluid through rapidly works fine enough for the purposes. If I wanted to hook this up to a peristaltic pump or something to make a flow cell, I’d make it more a multi-inlet vortex mixer.

3 Likes

It is complicated indeed. Whether a ternary “louche’ obtains or whether it is a colloid is questionable.
I think if you titrate your end product to pH 9…if it is a Louche it will go clear…I don’t know if a classic colloid/emulsion will show this property. (??)….but I really don’t know. for the “Louche” ternary, 1.) water, 2.) alcohol, 3.)cannabinoid….we are looking at the transition of a non ionic cannabinoid to an ionic form as we titrate the phenol. So if you are using a phenol polyol for the 2.) ingredient the “structured’ solution may well fall apart but for a different reason.

What you have is a very useful form/solution of cannabinoid.
In the past I have tried to educate 4200 about the usefulness of the ‘Louche”…but it has never caught on…
Opaque solutions are sort of regarded a problems…
a major problem in doing dose response curves in academic studies….you will find that virtually every pharmacological paper
Introduces Tween as a detergent to over come the natural
Ternary phenomenon.

Now in the “final form” you need someone in the lab to bioassay
A “good dose” for oral efficacy…say a 50 to 100 mg hit…
See how long it takes for them to hit the floor…for a long rest.

that is to say in some legal manner. You sell the product infused with cannabinoid in Montana? Get an assay on time course of people eating your product? You have made some reference to time course?

Best, and thank you for being so open about your product.

6 Likes

thanks for the response! there are quite a few formulations that just use polysorbates (tween 80 and tween 20) to achieve emulsions with sonication. you seem to know your shit but for others reading, a great place to read about these types of systems is by reviewing literature for curcumin emulsions.

@munkdooligan and I have worked on this side of the industry since 2017-2018ish; I probably have 20+ formulations with most every surfactant I could get my hands on and I’m sure he could say the same! feel free to reach out if you need any feedback on the systems you are developing and I could give you some info regarding surfactant ratios, phospholipid sourcing and compatibility, theoretical particle sizes and max solubility as a function of probe diameter, run time, batch size, surfactant system, etc.

best of luck!

3 Likes

I’d love to see a picture of your emulsions, in particular the opaqueness?

2 Likes

Have either of you two messed with using stevioside sugars? I had some weakly promising, tasty success before I realized there were more pesticides than cannabinoids in suspension. The only online source for the sugar in question was China… oops.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I’m not at all well versed in the chemistry of phases etc., and will have to put more time in reading. But I’ve worked with water, all my life - for both in water and on water reactions, as well as employing it as a reagent, rather than a solvent. Nothing remotely related to cannabinoids though!
Yes, we would definitely want to do bioassays somewhere down the line. The onset times obviously depend on the tolerance level of the subject, and in some, it’s less than 15 min. In some, it can be much more. But it’s also important on how it’s being administered - sublingually, or orally, after it’s been introduced in an aqueous drink. Having said all of this, and since you brought up the point on bioassays - this product, and a range of similar solutions, were developed for an internal medical process; far from it’s recreational oral/sublingual purpose. So yes, definitely, more studies need to be done.

The trick with sublingual is fast absorption. Otherwise it just gets swallowed.

3 Likes

The 1 L glass bottle contains the base (canary yellow). The 30 mL glass bottle contains the solution of Δ⁸-THC distillate in the base (conc. of the distillate: 50 mg/mL | conc. of active Δ⁸-THC: ~45 mg/mL). The glass tumbler contains ~250 mL water (standard Aquafina drinking water). To the ~250 mL water, 0.2 mL of the cannabinoid solution was added. Hence, there’s about 10 mg distillate or ~9 mg active Δ⁸-THC in the tumbler.

1 Like

This was the other product - based on Tween-20, flaxseed oil and distilled water. Each bottle contained 10 mg CBD isolate. Both bottles were mechanically shaken first. The left one was left as it is, while the right one was subjected to sonication in a simple VWR bath sonicator. On both of these, the DLS was done. The left one came to 70-80 nm, while the right one came at 18-20 nm. I did this way back in late 2018.

4 Likes

Are you sure it isn’t the other way around? The one on the right looks a lot more opaque and completely mie scattering while the left appears more translucent…

4 Likes

Yes. So what happened was that, when the mechanically shaken product was subjected to sonication, at one point, the emulsion broke. I shook it, let it stand, it homogenized again. I reproduced this process with another bottle, and the same thing happened. I don’t know how to explain. I haven’t done much work with Tween-20 in recent times because the sonication was absolutely essential, but this phenomenon was quite interesting to me. It looked as homogeneous like milk after sonication.

1 Like

The CBD isolate was dissolved in the flaxseed oil first, and then was added to the Tween-20 solution, then mechanically shaken in one of those small vortex shakers.

Looking real louchy/quzo as @moronnabis stated…

2 Likes