Water soluble cannabinoids without nanoemulsions or encapsulation

It is… it maybe a hybrid system. But yes, what you suggested about employing ultrasonication, and additionally Tween-20 to prevent coagulation - those are definitely on. Those models are being worked on too. Just early days on this particular model - works fairly ok for now. But there’s big room for improvement.

Just wondering @Cannachem, why did you edit your post to remove those suggestions suddenly?

4 Likes

So your saying the 4200 crowd is NOT a bunch of louchers?

7 Likes

Ummm. NO SPOONS!
Lol.

I often say more than I want to out of generosity, only to realize I bite myself in the foot/loose my own business.

3 Likes

Fam has discovered the powers of propylene glycol :rofl: if you’re gonna play big boy, at least use the correct terms so you don’t get shat on when someone who’s not a gullible cannabimbo rolls in

2 Likes

Ahh… no issues. Still thank you for the suggestions.

Well… there are several systems in the mix.

:thinking: Much is that you? Perhaps @Realterpsmatter

Are you louching with CDT’s

2 Likes

I believe several ones can be done. But the terpenes haven’t been checked individually, so for every blend, you’ll probably have to optimize the maximum concentration that you can employ to emulsify.

Remember, pharmacological effects from terpenes can only occur by directly entering into the blood stream.

That means direct inhalation or sublingual/buccal. Terpenes are so volatile that they must enter the blood stream unadulterated from the low pH of stomach acid after ingestion.

However, I understand if you might be going for the true flavor profile of a strain specific edible/beverage/infused product.

1 Like

You’d think that they would pass the lead onto whoever had distribution in your area, or failing that to HQ who could then do that.

So you make crude.

I believe you will find this solution, or at least versions of it have become pretty readily available in the Hemp world. I was offered a “DIY” soluble kit probably 6-8 months ago, same pitch honestly. These folks were out of Florida. We use a fantastic miscable solution at 15% and it’s pretty economical.

Can you share a rough cost per gram of cannabinoids made water soluble?

1 Like

There are definitely similar systems, as many have pointed out, including me. This particular one won’t go beyond 5%, so probably can’t match your present system at least in concentration. But if you’ve particular applications or effects in mind, it can be tuned to suit those needs, or we can present one of the other systems.

The cost of our system, calculated at per gram of cannabinoid solubilized, makes it economically viable, when you’re dealing with a fairly valuable extract of the cannabinoid and you’ve a bigger margin at hand. If you’re considering solubilizing something inexpensive as crude, it would be cost prohibitive (with crude it yields an opaque emulsion, which subsequently does emulsify in water). But we can always get you alternative systems. As for the cost itself, please consider directly messaging my colleague who initiated the post.

Finally some interesting discussion happening on here. I make an emulsion that looks visually similar for my infused syrup product. I homogenize distillate, PG, sunflower lecithin and N-Zorbit maltodextrin. It makes a clear solution (I think if I used this by itself as a tincture that would make it a SNEDDS, right?) that when mixed into a syrup base forms a slightly foggy emulsion that looks just like ouzo on ice.
@cannasura You aren’t by any chance using a certain saponin extracted from liquorice are you?

3 Likes

Ahh… that’s beautiful! But my system at hand does have issues in emulsifying where the volume ratio of water to the cannabinoid solution is less 1:20; which usually applies to the syrup-based product you’re referring too. For this, some client improvised and added something to the syrup and got it to work. I’ve no idea what he did and he won’t divulge. But I do know he had a good sonicator at hand, and did have a certain PEG-based surfactant at hand (he himself didn’t know the identity of the surfactant though). Whatever he did, he probably could’ve done without my system. Apart from this case, I personally couldn’t emulsify in a commercially available syrup - both Aunt Jemima’s, as well as a clear one (at the required ratio, viz. 1:15, 1:10) without eventual phase separation. The product obtained after addition to the syrup best qualified as a shake well before use one.

But no, I don’t have the certain saponin from liquorice you’re referring too. I would actually want to use it as an active ingredient somewhere down the line though - both topically and internally… it really is a great one. Can you get it in a pure form here? I mean you can get the extract with around 30% of it, but is it available in an isolated form?

Edit: The ratio mentioned above would be the reverse, 20:1, not 1:20. Same 15:1, and 10:1 - where the other two ratios are mentioned.

1 Like

Thanks for posting! I hope it’s the first of many. :heart:

Probably about $5 considering a 15% solution.

1 Like