Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek

i run 2 of those felt bags parrallel to each other to counterbalance each other. i cut the plastic ring off the top and just fold the tops downward into themselves. havent had any give yet.

2 Likes

5 gallon 220 bubblebag with a drawstring here. into the panda spin it dry till the cycle is up and directly through my filter press.

1 Like

The pliers You use to cut the ripty once. Needed Blunt the outher tips they might damadge your bag

Has anyone used one of these for getting the last bit of ethanol out of the material and or seen one in action? kinda looks like the one pinnacle stainless is selling i think?

4 Likes

For the record, this is probably off the table at this point.

I stumbled over a couple of Panda’s and a Hobart that had clearly seen extraction duty. However, I also had an explosion proof Bock 755 in the same warehouse, so the Panda’s have not gotten any of my attention.

3 Likes

I thought people were using heptane denatured alcohol in a panda w/o any issues

The Romans figured lead made great water pipes. They weren’t wrong, but there are definitely better solutions.

Having not torn one apart, or done any compatibility research on the plastics, I couldn’t tell you one way or the other.

They were not designed for anything but water, so running ethanol through them in a licensed lab will be an issue eventually…ie the moment anyone actually looks at your process.

4 Likes

Totally. Hopefully by that time, I’ve made enough money to change it up. Always looking for another options that doesn’t cost 85k

2 Likes

That Bock 755 only cost me $9k off eBay.

I let it go before spinning it up, but believe it’s a decent option. Needing a lift to get the bags out doesn’t seem ideal, but the price was right, and it has found a home processing hemp with a client who just had to have a centrifuge now!

1 Like

Have you tried using your sock filter/ spinner for filtration during winterization?

Yep i put Some dry ice between the sock and the centrifuge chamber
Makes the centrifuge inside really cold but the. Receiving chamber stays fairly warm
I imagine. That the engine strator connected to the centrifuge chamber in time also gets cold And ice can start forming there so i only operate this method for 20/30 min afraid that the ice once melting runs inside the engine and
Short cirquits iT
To avoid that i also put the whole machine sideways once done with this procedure
Also inside the filtersock i Trow Some chunks

1 Like

Thank you for that!

I’m surprised more folks aren’t talking about using sock filters in general. I used them often in another life as a wvo enthusiast and found them to be very useful in pressurized filtrations. Jacketed filter housings would be a nice touch

I agree but centrifugal filtration in general
With several sizes paint pots i have been able to create verticale layers of filter media so sock in first layers with silca 60.paintpot Carbon paintpot that receives the fluid treu a pipe with funnel on top to Ad liquid
All paint pots with holes made in the sides only bottoms closed

Where do you get your bags from?

Amazon.com 1 s a 1 1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525889275&sr=8-1&pi=AC SX236 SY340 QL65&keywords=Nylon+Straining+Bag-+10%22+x+23%22-+Fine+Mesh&dpPl=1&dpID=31tVGf4QqvL&ref=plSrch

1 Like

With all due respect to @Supercritical420, we all know you can’t run your solvent through a washing machine (or a panda) in a licensed shop (once they look at your process). So something else more appropriate is required…

I’ve suggested a couple of options.

I’ve got a BOCK 755 that @Photon_noir purchased for me off eBay for less than the asking price ($9k). It sold to a client before I could tear into it, or even plug it in. I’m tearing it apart and replacing all the rubber this week.

For about $1500 in parts, and 15-20hrs of my time, they should have a sweet fuge. Hoping to get it spun up with the variable frequency drive before the holidays.

The Emerald Cup, and commitments to other clients make that less than certain.

I’ll be posting about that rebuild in another thread.

What I really came here for was another shameless plug for my solution to the problem.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq_I4TYhMNP/?hl=en

7 Likes

We make a powerful team, my man! :wink:

6 Likes

Anyone have any pics on modding the top of the panda?

2 Likes

I’ve torn down and rehab’ed a used BOCK 755, and it is currently in use as a spin cycle for bags post bucket tek.

Did you modify it to spin faster?