VTA SOP, you guys asked for it so here it is

Do you get a burt oil/cannabis/hemp smell in your 2nd pass ? Mine dose has a hinglt of aomething that smells burnt , im doing the devolitization procedure

Sounds like youre getting residual terpenes in there, have you tested your wax for potency?

Naw not yet working on it , im all hemp

To be clear, you are referencing the VTA VKL 70-5, right? Distillation & Extraction Equipment | Root Sciences

2 Likes

@Future We got the 6 inch steel VTA and this was the manual they gave me. If you look inside this manual says the machine goes up up 130hz for the feed rate which the 6 inch steel unit does, the glass 2 inch you linked only goes to 100 hz feed rate from what I’ve seen. Maybe the glass unit i played with that had the 100hz feed rate was older.

3 Likes

Nice post. What range of potencies do you normally see with this SOP? Looks like you run hotter than we do on our VTA, but also faster.

I always pull above 99%. Its all in how you decarb and deterp.

1 Like

Those degas parameters cut the fraction really tight. I ran a little sample and pulled some disty/terpy fraction. Should be interesting to check the potency on the finished product. Curious what you think about decarbing/degassing in a short path unit?

could you in theory save some time by decarbing the bio mass on the front end? my biggest enemy is turn around time. or would you more recommend the 150C in the oven with the 1-2 hr spin off?

1 Like

Just because its yellow doesnt mean its distillate, 1st pass will strip colored terpenes out sometimes. Id decarb in my roto or a reactor before a shortpath. Its going to take forever to deterp in there i feel like, even with a bigger sized distillation head

2 Likes

Id do it how the SOP says, either way after you winterize you still have to deterp to 150c to remove all residual ethanol. By decarbing first youd just be adding an extra step IMO unless you plan on carbon scrubbing. If you carbon scrub you have to decarb first or itll effect yield. If you want to save time do the 150c in a roto or reactor, the whole point of it is to get all the terpenes out at that temp. Vacuum will speed this process up 10 fold.

6 Likes

awesome, thanks for the advice. i will let you know my results from following SOP step by step

Are you saying if I do a carbon scrub that I should decarb it before I scrub it???

1 Like

Yes, thc-a loved carbon

3 Likes

Is there another thread here where I can read up on that??

Use the search bar and search for your topics

Thank you sidco!

1 Like

We run are first pass at 130