VTA SOP, you guys asked for it so here it is

Can I somehow get a sample of the final material to test? in CA

1 Like

Weā€™re doing 60 Hz on first pass but 20ish on the second. This is up from 30, we really changed the decarb/devol so that thereā€™s almost nothing in the volatile condenser on the terp run. However the second pass had to be slowed down, riddle me that??? I think it might be a vacuum problem.

The feed is set at 110, the wiper at 169.

Hz or are we talking degrees C?

Hz sorry, vacuum holds steady @ 3.5x-1 mbar

Wiper needs to be at 400 no? Sounds like your running the cleaning SOP

1 Like

Always have the wiper basket turned all the way up, where are you located? If youā€™re around socal Iā€™d like to come have a look and see if I can fix your problem.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Agree on the diff pump. and Rowan did get a great deal on the diff pump. I believe the seller has no idea what he is selling.

1 Like

Itā€™s the SOP that we were given by Root Science. I donā€™t supervise the wiped film, so we donā€™t really have any scientific eyes on the procedure. Iā€™m here to learn as well as teach.:+1:

1 Like

Sorry i deleted the comment right after i posted it haha, and my SOP from root science says to start at 10RPM while starting the feed at 90HZ then walk the wiper up to 400RPM when you see the first drip in the sight glass

Thatā€™s for first time use, the reason they say not to start the wiper so fast when itā€™s dry is itll mess up the wiper blades themselves. If youā€™ve ran it before then you have residual crude/ first pass crude in your lines / wiper basket. I believe the SOP says not to even turn the basket on till you get stuff coming out in both lower sight glasses

1 Like

My SOP has start wiper first then it says to feed for any run including cleaning proccess, its also has a step for repouring First pass residue back into the feed tank to clear it out before the 2nd pass

Just to be clear im running a stainless VKS 70 with the carbide wipers

Ah thatā€™s not the stock wiper basket, Iā€™m pretty sure ours isnā€™t carbine wipers

1 Like

@Kingofthekush420 When you run your reactor at 150C, do you ramp up temperature slowly or set to 150 and leave until 1-2hrs after decarb (like in your SOP)?

You can go straight to 150 as long as it doesnt muffin or anything

2 Likes

What is the theory behind decarbing at this high temp? I am getting pretty high potency oil but running way slower feed rate than you and at lower temps.

The more terpenes you remove before even loading the wiper the better vacuum you will have. Vacuum determines speed on a wiper, therefore the better you decarb the faster you can run it. I run mine full speed at 4.5 liters an hour and make wax over 99% TAC. This is only achievable with a proper deterp and decarb

9 Likes

Are you running THC or CBD?

If you are running CBD, are you able to get a good enough terp strip to run single pass to isolate?

If you are running THC, are you seeing any color degradation in the final product from boiling off terps at 150C for a couple hours?

Iā€™m planning on running some cbd crude in our new reactor at the end of the week before I try it on some thc :grimacing:

I was under the impression that the faster the wiper spins, the less residence time the oil has on the evaporator. Are you saying this is incorrect? From what I can tell youā€™re saying the faster the wiper spins, the more time the oil spends on the evaporator surface. What do you mean by ā€œlonger travelā€?

The more rotations that are made the longer the crude has to travel. Your crude is being wiped against the evaporator surface as gravity pulls it down, more rpm results is more rotations resulting in a longer travel. The residence time is the same, the distance the crude travels is different.

5 Likes

Right, so if the crude travels a longer distance I thought that would increase the residence time. But youā€™re saying that because itā€™s pulled by gravity it takes the same amount of time to fall no matter what the wiper speed is? Seems I was under the wrong impressionā€¦