Virginia mom charged with murder after 4-year-old eats THC gummies

That makes sense. Not worth it anymore for renegades to make it. Too many producing better quality for cheaper

2 Likes

Cardiac complications of pediatric cannabis exposure described in the literature include both tachycardia and bradycardia, or bradycardia and hypotension, with the latter occurring typically in the setting of respiratory depression.3,4 Further, an 11-month-old died after cannabis exposure, with myocarditis diagnosed at autopsy.5

Pediatric cannabis use and cardiac complications - PMC.

6 Likes

I was a super light smoker at the time and I ate a 2000mg brownie, I for sure thought I was going to die I was flying thru pitch black with red and all kinds of colors flashing and sounds / sirens going off in my head

I could picture an old person having a heart attack from something like this. I was about 20 at the time

10 Likes

Poop soup was a cheap source of testing material for me to learn how to use a vacuum pump and chamber.

Itā€™s how I began learning to not back fill my chamber with a single stage vacuum pump in a pyrex chamber purchased off of ebay.

The median age of RPC marijuana exposures was 2 years (IQR, 1.3-4.0), and 85 patients were girls (52%). Of these exposure cases, 61 (37%) originated from their own residence while 97 (60%) were from a health care facility. The remaining cases were from a school (1 [<1%]), workplace (1 [<1%]), other (1 [<1%]), other residence (1 [<1%]), or unknown location (1 [<1%]). Most exposure sites were in the childā€™s own residence (143 [88%]), followed by school (5 [3%]) and other (15 [9%]). Most exposures were unintentional (135 [83%]), but 2 exposures were intentional (1%), 5 were adverse drug reactions (3%), 4 were other contamination/tampering (3%), and 17 had unknown exposure reasons (10%). Ingestion (121 [74%]) was the most common route of exposure reported, followed by unknown route (19 [12%]), inhalation (18 [11%]), dermal (3 [2%]), and multiple routes of exposure (2 [1%]). Most children were treated at a health care facility (99 [61%]) or referred to a health care facility (38 [23%]); 22 patients (14%) were treated where the call originated (nonā€“health care facility), and 4 (2%) were treated in unknown or other locations. Most children had either no (45 [28%]) or minor effects (75 [46%]). Eighteen children (11%) experienced moderate effects, and 4 (3%) had major effects. An additional 20 children (12%) had minimal effects, effects were not followed, or were unrelated. There was 1 reported death in an 11-month-old. The patient presented to the hospital unresponsive and in a wide complex tachycardia with a severe metabolic acidosis (pH of 6.7). The patient underwent cardiopulmonary resuscitation for 20 minutes without return of spontaneous circulation. Urine drug screen results were positive for THC and confirmed on postmortem analysis. The final diagnosis after autopsy was myocarditis.

Without some evaluation of concentration estimatesā€¦let us say
Looking at the details of your referenced cases:

There seems to be a death on record caused by myocarditis (inflammation due to Immune response)ā€¦in some manner associated with Cannabinoid (thc) exposure. We can score that one in the ā€œfatalā€ outcome categoryā€¦along with bee stings and peanut allergies. It could also by a hypersensitive reaction to THC stimulation of CB2 receptors*ā€¦a more direct action. This should be kept in mindā€¦i.e., anything that modulates immune response can give rise to complications. (*Partial agonism of CB2 with THC is often associated with immune suppression)

11 month oldā€¦is still developing neuronal connectionsā€¦seems

difficult to imagine how the child was exposed to THC.

A rather recent review of CB1R, CB2R and their hetero and homocomplexesā€¦can be found in the introduction of this 2021 paper: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2021.105970

1 Like

New auxillary market within cannabis: Gummy Gunsafes.

Save lives: sell fingerprint lockboxes at +500% markup. If you try to sell cheaper code based safes theyā€™ll just forget it and tie up your support lines or write 1-srar reviews.

1 Like

Try again, almost all the finger print readers for gun safes suck

7 Likes

I wonder about CB1 and CB2 gut receptorsā€¦

1 Like

Still better than a fingerprint or wrist watch activated gun

No thank you!

1 Like

gimme your money

HOLD ON. Lemme scan my fingerprint on my gun really qui-

BANG

While I agree with you, itā€™s an overdose that realistically is unlikely to lead to death without pre-existing medical issues.

It would be difficult to consume enough unadulterated D9, even orally, to cause a cardiac event in a healthy person. This applies to humans of all ages. While an overdose is certainly possible, a fatal one is logarithmically harder to achieve.

I too wonder about the true cause of death. This is one of those articles where it seems both first responders, prosecutors, and the media took the easy road of little detail and due diligence.

4 Likes

Iā€™d take a terrible mugshot. You canā€™t tell by looking if a mom cares just like you canā€™t tell by looking if a gummy is laced.

16 Likes

Some of the most loving, caring mothers I ever met didnā€™t fit the ā€œnormā€ for model suburban housewife.

Itā€™s a snippet in her life, which is at the worst possible time for a mother, lost child, and prison, would break any person.

Truly tragic.

6 Likes

Well saidā€¦.

Roiplekā€™s warning ā€¦no matter what the dose should be held in high regard.

Awaiting more details concerning Virginia case.

3 Likes

The relevant publications identified included one Level I systematic review and meta-analysis of six human studies, 16 Level II studies with 6,942 subjects, nine Level III studies with 3,797,096 subjects and two systematic and scoping reviews with 30 cases. Cannabis-induced tachycardia was highlighted in 17 of 28 (61%) Level Iā€“III articles followed by a generalized description of dysrhythmia in eight (29%). Specific dysrhythmias noted in the Level Iā€“III articles included atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, atrioventricular block, premature ventricular contractions, premature atrial contractions, ventricular tachycardia, and ventricular fibrillation. Other reported findings on electrocardiogram included ST segment elevation, P, and T wave changes. Only one Level III study reported a decreased risk of atrial fibrillation from cannabis use in patients hospitalized for heart failure (Odds ratio = 0.87). There were 39 case series (Level IV) and case reports (Level V) with 42 subjects. Average age was 30 Ā± 12 years, and only ten (24%) were female. The most common dysrhythmia mentioned in the Level IV and V articles was ventricular fibrillation (21%), followed by atrial fibrillation (19%), ventricular tachycardia (12%), third degree atrioventricular block (12%), and asystole (12%). There were four cases (10%) of symptomatic bradycardia. Notable electrocardiographic changes included ST segment elevation (29%), Brugada pattern in leads V1, V2 (14%), and right bundle branch block (12%). There were eight cases of cardiac arrest, of whom five expired.

Conclusion: Cannabis use is associated with increased risk of cardiac dysrhythmia, which is rare but may be life-threatening. Clinicians and nurses should inquire about acute and chronic cannabis use in their patients presenting with tachycardia, bradycardia, dysrhythmia, chest pain, and/or unexplained syncope. Patients who use cannabis should be educated on this deleterious association, especially those with underlying cardiac disease or risk factors.

4 Likes

Its amazing how much you can learn just by talking to someone. I will have customers look creepy as hell just staring around the corner. Than as soon as they say something and confront me we are laughing and bullshitting to no end. Its ok to judge someone and put up a wall for safety but be ready to bust that wall down because everyone is suspect but there are still decent human beings out there.

4 Likes

Alphanumerical Code Lock Boxes with 3 Letters and 3 Numbers would be more ideal. Bonus Points if you donā€™t source the stainless from China.

Of fucking course 500% mark-up :fist:

I am not joking or being sarcastic, I really do think these should be a thing. Maybe even have them weighed down and with covers over the combination slot.

2 Likes

Conclusions the US ARMY Edgewood Arsenal, located 25 miles northeast of Baltimore, in 1961 figured all that out in the first 10 minutes of experiments with the dimethyheptyl analoguesā€¦ā€ā€.

The article doesnā€™t say how the coroner decided/thought the child diedā€¦
Was it cardiac arrest or did he just stop breathing?

It clearly states that the boy died 2 days after experiencing a ā€œmedical emergencyā€.

There is only one cannabinoid family known to kill you a few days after ingestionā€¦
That is the full agonist classification. So did the child eat just a few THCP laced
Gummies? that would explain everything. OK , are THCP gummies readily available in the DC-Virginia areaā€¦someone should know.

She claims she called the poison center on the 6th claiming he ate 1/2 a ā€œCBD gummy and she ate the other halfā€¦Poison control told her donā€™t worryā€¦he died two days laterā€¦the story is so far off base with regards to the pharmacodynamics of THC in Humansā€¦The child died two days laterā€¦I would say someone slipped her a THCP gummy not a CBD one. If you try to believe all stories. Strange case.
If everyone is lyingā€¦this discussion is nonsense. Maybe she just wanted to off the kid. the whole story could be false.
THE Dispensary - Richmond
15 W. Main St. Richmond, VA 23220

Has plenty of THCP gummiesā€¦so we know they are out there.

5 Likes

Very insightful. I think thatā€™s the defense strategy. She technically did purchase a CBD edible. Itā€™s all hemp, right?

Itā€™s frightening to think about whatā€™s lurking. Just because we can, doesnā€™t mean we should.

2 Likes