Vaping THCO causes Poisonous Ketene gas formation - Vape crisis 2.0

My point exactly. I “knew” the metric system in highschool and all but since having owned and operated a GC, them nano grams and microliters have become second nature in my measurements, and I’m not quite sure how many people know what 22 micrograms worth of material looks like. I don’t even know because 1 single milligram is literally nothing when it comes to CBD. A nice draft throws my scale off by several millligrams.

Let it be known that the measurement of ketene gas produced by the experiment reference produced 22 MICROGRAMS worth which didn’t even get a chance to react with water to produce acetic acid (vinegar) in the mucous membranes on the way down. Lest it get filtered through a bong first.

Not that drugs correlate by dose but I just googled the effective dose of fentanyl and it looks to be triple the effective dose of “ketene gas” produced in the experiment (if it even makes it to the lungs). I just think people should keep things in mind… yes you do consume arsenic if you eat a charbroiled burger/steak….

5 Likes

I think an oversight in this study is they didn’t have a control. Not against neutral cannabinoids or flower. I see the obvious pathway between acetates and ketene generation, but with combustion/pyrolysis chemistry, almost anything is fair game. I could see that burning propane to cook food could just as easily generate ketene.

As for passing through a water bubbler, you would likely see a reduction in ketene but it’s not always a guarantee that sparging will get all or even most of some gases.

They say at the end that additives could have been confounding, which seems to be a common theme in all of these.

My money is still on mineral oil.

4 Likes

I made a ketene lamp a while back and all the stuff that I read about making the apparatus warned how extremely deadly ketene gas is, more toxic than hydrogen cyanide.

3 Likes

What was the experiment?

3 Likes

It’s a good study. Not even close to fear mongering.

It’s paving the way for more studies on the health concerns of vaping or combusting acetates. It’s good to see this.

5 Likes

To make acetic anhydride

2 Likes

That’s dope and some balls to do that.

3 Likes

Doug’s lab had a badass YouTube video on it.

2 Likes

I mean, didn’t ya’ll make and distribute a bunch of CBDQ at one point? What are the ethics surrounding that, do you reckon?

1 Like

This comes out as fear mongering to me.

“For quantitative studies the e-nail temperature was set to 378 °C, consistent with our prior dabbing studies based on a survey of social media showing a range of preferred e-nail user temperatures of 340 – 482 ⁰C.”

That’s 650-900 ⁰F… That temp range sounds like cherry picking*

4 Likes

They did vapor and lower temp tests as well

I would argue it’s the opposite of fear mongering. Considering how new THC acetates are.

3 Likes

Way too often in this industry people attack studies like this when IMO the burden of proof is on us to prove that vaping these chemicals is safe long term. Pure D8 (that actually is pure) is one thing, but cannabinoid acetates are another. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t criticize or debate, but acting like anything weed related is totally safe and immediately trying to poke holes in anything that calls that into question is going to eventually cause a public health crisis and give all of us a bad reputation.

12 Likes

Their social media survey results alone are enough for this to stink IMO. I have my reservations about all these untested cannabinoids too. I’m just on my guard when it comes to safety research like this.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I know a lot of people that dab really hot. I’d bet the majority of people dabbing with a torch are going too hot, most just don’t understand this stuff at the level people on the forum do, or even really care in my experience.

5 Likes

I have a couple friends that do not think it’s a proper dab unless the banger is completely chazzed.

The saddest part about it? They claim to be “all about the terps”

1 Like

Yesh I have to add that for anyone here thinking 800f+ is an unrealistic dab temp, just go to stoner reddits or youtube channels, youll be shocked how many people set their enail to 900 or hit a red hit banger or vape their tanks at massive voltage.

Personally I always dab/vape at 384 because that temp will vape all cannabinoids. Theres literally no reason to go above that but people do.

4 Likes

pretty sure that number is going to depend on the device claiming it knows the temperature, and the size of the puddle its heating…and yeah, some folks are complete idiots (defined here as “not teachable” ).

11 Likes

I couldn’t imagine dabbing a THC acetate as is. But dabbing one at 600-900F? My lord

1 Like

yeah my nail is one of those shitty amazon ones so I got a temp probe and I have to set the coil to 815 for the actual inside of the banger to reach ~400 lol.

For on the go I use a nord 4 mesh coil at 6 watts which is roughly ~410 degrees on the coil. Mesh coils arent the best for flavor but I dont give a shit about terps and just want more even vapor production. And a gpen elite for CBD buds (it was like 60% off, otherwise I know gpen sucks, it launched at $180 and i bought one for $60 on a 420 sale, and it still feels overpriced) at 384. The build quality is shit but it actually hits alright. I dont know why I ranted about that here bud whatever.

3 Likes

Formation of dangerous chemicals is normal for delta 9 at those ludicrous temperatures anyways though so what are we even talking about here? “Vape crisis 2.0” is either click bait or a scare tactic. It’s more like both actually. I’m going to stop replying here so that this thread will disappear faster.

3 Likes