Vaping THCO causes Poisonous Ketene gas formation - Vape crisis 2.0

https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.1920925117

17 Likes

That’s sketch but I’m skeptical that what’s being sold as thco is even thco. That paper says 2-3 times as potent. I tried some that I believe originated from cannaclear and I noticed almost zero effects …

3 Likes

Saw on ig. Das no good

Also: this is looking like all acetate cannabinoids. BTW

Not just thcs

8 Likes

Read through it and yea this doesn’t look too good.

Who knows what’s in store for the people consistently vaping or dabbing THC acetates over the next few decades.

4 Likes

Is there a certain level of toxicity in inhalation for Ketene (Not all that familiar) this study pretty much concludes that they do not know?

4 Likes

5ppm is what is said in the study

8 Likes

I wish i could say this is suprising but real chemists have tried doing conversions/making synthetic cannabinoids for years and it often resulted in death. Don’t see why thats gonna change with the garage chemists.

10 Likes

Must have missed that, thank you.

1 Like

Well that ain’t good. They should be running other adulterant tests to make sure there’s no mineral oil or crap like that. Is there an accompanying study?

4 Likes

The stuff I posted a pic of in the second post has a definite mineral oil consistency. Complete opposite of the polymer consistency of delta8.

And it was not 2-3x potent as thc as it’s been clinically studied to be so probably totally bunk. Cannaclear is supplied by ? Lol

2 Likes

The font on the packaging is pretty telling

8 Likes

Isn’t this just talking about Vitamin-E acetate? Seems like a study from 19-20?

3 Likes

No, it shows cbdo, d8thco and d9thco all made ketene gas

Similarly to vitamin e acetate.

It’s in the title.

“Vaping cannabinoid acetates leads to ketene formation”

2 Likes

“SupEr HiGh PotENcY!”

81% :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Did you happen to read how much gas was created? I just finished reading the whole thing and while it’s fairly alarming, I don’t believe the sky is falling. They even stated in the article that Ketene reacts with water to form acetic acid, and the effective dose on the lungs in humans would be expected to be less than their iron lung apparatus. They also stated that they expect most retail products to not contain pure acetyl noids due to incomplete reactions, which would mean less ketene production. Their d8 sample was half of the NIOSH threshold at 0.022mg.

2 Likes

(High thoughts) Thinking about this topic now, and particularly where vaping is concerned, according to the study when ketene contacts water it forms acetic acid.

So, perhaps any kind of bubbler in your vapor path would seemingly eliminate the concern?

7 Likes

Fear mongering at its finest. If you want to take a dab at 370-560C, then you probably have bigger issues coming to you than ketene formation haha.

12 Likes

I didn’t read this article as fear mongering. The article seemed fairly grounded and they even stated more studies were needed. I just think people need to keep a level head and think about this problem using science instead of emotion. I wonder how many people will jump to a conclusion about the ketene production of acetyl noids while scrolling on their phone huffing a cigarette?

15 Likes

So everyone dabbing above 250c is fucked…

Kind of hard to call that fear mongering when the most common smoking devices second to lowest temp settings are above that.

Puffcos temps settings are as follows: 450/500/550/600°F, or 232/260/288/315°C

4 Likes

No read the study. There is not enough ketene formed at their temperatures for toxic levels and also not enough data to support any claim.

That is just a direct quote from the #1 cannabis chemist in the world.

4 Likes