Vacuum pumps... Dual alcatel 2021i's

I’ve been seeing a few posts about vacuum pumps and whats best for what. I just wanted to share a setup I’ve that has been a powerhouse for me. I originally had this setup on a 5l spd and it worked great. I was a little concerned about stepping up to a 10l spd and how it would perform. I would have to say it works great. I bought both 2021i pumps for under 650 total shipped. I did nothing but run a few rounds of clean vacuum oil mixed with transmission fluid. Yep, transmission fluid. Transmission fluid is a detergent and has worked great to clean up my pumps. I was doing a vacuum test on the system before I load it with crude. It took under 2-3 minutes to pull under 10 micron and a few more to pull under 1 micron. I will say that managing two vacuum pumps isn’t ideal, but this is a pretty slick setup that has some pretty major flexibility and can be had for a reasonable price. I also use ultra 20 vacuum oil to achieve these numbers…

9 Likes

think we can get @JacobsLadder the vacuum master tag. Dude not only got his own homemade vac gauge but is the only one ive seen someone rip these pumps down to 1 micron…glad i got 3x of these pumps here…LOL

11 Likes

Looking good brother for sure two of these pumps is a very budget-minded way to get almost 30 CFM

4 Likes

The homemade Vacuum Guage is Priceless… @JacobsLadder, Thats wassup!! That is a decent setup on the cheap for real! I like the white hosing on your exhuast as well. Where do we find that? And Did you get the Inlet filters seperate? Any tranny fluid sounds like a stinky mess but hey if it cleans it out Ima have to give that a whirl. I Picked one up I hope i have good results with it and dont have to rebuild it right away… @Killa12345 Have you got all 3 yours up an running?

1 Like

I wonder how a shot of seafoam in the oil would do for cleanout

1 Like

That is awesome. I am always blown away by these pumps.

Where did you get the pieces for the vacuum guage?

Have you thought about using grade 19 in them?

I picked up the VACOIL 20 from a recommendation on here somewhere… Fluidx on amazon it was actually cheaper on amazon Shipped etc. Been rocking the JB blend Maybe this will work better…

2 Likes

Can you snap a couple photos of your tubing and connections? Just wanted to see how you ran the two into one another

1 Like

That vacuum gauge is the original prototype. I have a few in the wild that are much better. I’ve been trying to find the time to do a final writeup on a build for them, but life has been sooooo busy. It’ll happen at some point though. The white hose is sump pump or pool hose from any box store. I have it plumed outside and it works great. The inlet filters are actually high vacuum valves so i can isolate the pumps form each other and the spd. Transmission fluid should smell bad. Unless you burnt up your transmission:) I think its a better solution then some of the other shadetree methods, but to each there own…

3 Likes

I have been meaning to finish the write up for the vacuum gauges so anyone can build one, but things have been so busy I haven’t had the time. It will happen at some point though. They come from many different sources… I used to run 19 , but got a good deal on a 5 gal bucket of ultra 20 and definetly notice a difference. The lowest i ever pulled with regular 19 was about 3-4 micron.

4 Likes

I’ll definitely get some more pics for you when I get back to my lab…

3 Likes

Rad on both accounts. I have a 55 gal drum of grade 19. Our disty guy has two Edward’s and a sogevac that uses a fuck load

2 Likes

I just got a really good deal on an Edwards 18 and I have another 8 cfm 25micron pump kicking around. Was gonna run them in line and see what happens :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome… I downloaded the photo and zoomed in…(Brain Kicked IN) its a SMC XLH-40 high vacuum valve, XLH HIGH VACUUM VALVE*** If anyone else wanted to know… :laughing: And that sump pump hose is perfect. I been using the Pvc hose all jankly rigged… I picked up a 24’ roll for 15$ on amazon. Perfect Fix THANKS!!

4 Likes

That is a very nice setup and the homemade gauge is just the cherry on top. When you did rhe tranny fluid did you jusg do 50/50. Im just curious i do alot of oil changes to keep maximum performance on all my pumps and tranny fluid is the safest sounding one ive been told, acetone, gas additive etc. i have an old edwards im giving to a friend and wanna give him rhe cleanest pump i can.

2 Likes

In all fairness, the numbers I quoted are dry run numbers and I don’t think you’d notice any real difference on an actual run with grade 19…

3 Likes

Yes, i did about a 50/50 ratio. Keep in mind that it will smoke a bit more then usual. The transmission fluid definitely doesn’t have the vacuum performance that vacuum oils do. Transmission fluid is cheap and I did 2 or three fluid changes and ran the pumps for 2-3 hours at a time. The reason i chose transmission fluid is cause its both a detergent and a lubricant. Old timers used to put transmission fluid into old engines to clean them up and figured it would at least not hurt the pumps…

8 Likes

how do you exhaust? how do you connect the tubing to the exhaust and what kind is it

The exhaust gets routed outside of my lab through a 1.25" bulkhead through wall flange. The tubing is connected to the pumps via a 1.25" straight to kf25 fitting. I cant remember where I got those from. The exhaust tubing itself is pool pump or bilge pump hose. You can grab the tubing at any big hardware store.

2 Likes

Do you think this pump is sufficient to run a 6" glass WFE? Having looked at comparisons they seem close or I am looking at it all wrong?