Utilizing a Hot and Cold Dephlegmator cls still

So I’m most likely gonna obtain a couple of dephlegmators at some point and I’m going to make a pot still with cls parts to make eho.

The thought I had was that if I set the water on the jacketed base/boiling flask for 86°f and use a dephlegmator going upwards diagonally and that was also set for 86°f, would I need a larger cold dephlegmator as the condenser or can I use the same size dephlegmator as the hot dephlegmator?

I figure using a hot dephlegmator and raising the vapor temps before it hits the cold one would make it distill quicker for some reason

1 Like

Run it down the hot tube AND the cold one.

2 Likes

Can you draw a diagram?

Why would you use a dephlegmator at all if you’re not trying to reproof? Unless you are trying to reproof, then you need to pack that column; but the packing might be enough reflux to remove a few % water.

If it’s just solvent removal run that shit on a tiny path to a big condenser for high efficiency.

1 Like

you’ll just push your reflux down the tubes more

Yes, it’s just for solvent recovery.

1 Like

Winter is coming and where I am I can’t do anything involving butane indoors. So for the winters I do EHO. Already snowed here today.

1 Like

just put it above and use it as a falling film

How would that be a falling film. What defines falling film for solvent distillation.?

1 Like

push your etoh into to hot dephlegmator into collection and use cold dephlegmator condenser above your recovery tank

use the increased surface area to boil quicker.

2 Likes

What I don’t understand about FFE is how does the oil leave the dephlegmator? Does the heat make it drip down? I know the basic principals of how a standard one for juice manufacturing works, which is pretty much the one @Future built in his open source FFE thread but the video I watched never really explained how anything leaves the hot condenser. Or is the heat from that dephlegmator just making it distill quicker?

1 Like

gravity make the oil fall down the tubes, the tube and shell is in a vertical position.

https://www.gea.com/en/products/evaporators-crystallizers/evaporator-clean-vapor-recover-gas-distilling/falling-film-evaporator.jsp

check these out and let your mind run wild.

6 Likes

(62) Mechanical Vapor Recompression | Blower and compressor technology - YouTube

that’s what i’m going off of

1 Like

I did ! lol. It never said anywhere in the video i posted about gravity making the concrete fall. Now that I know that, I’m totally gonna make one.

2 Likes

Ditch the vapor recompression, for a simple evaporator you will not need to employ that.
simply preheat the feed and spray down the throat of a heated tube and shell. You can build the evaporator as a current or counter current unit, that determines the placement of the condenser.

see the image for current vs counter current.

The principal is relatively simple, heat one tube and shell to boil the feedstock, separate the vapor from the entrained resin, then condense the vapor with the other tube and shell. As this is occurring you will need pump out the resin and condensed solvent out of the system.

1 Like

So like this?

2 Likes

that’s one way to do it, make sure the tube and shells you buy have a good amount of tubes in them. We typically pack around 33 3/8 tubes in a 4" bundle and around 90 3/8 tubes in a 6" bundle.

4 Likes

Well now I have a use for this thing :sweat_smile::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lemme find a pen and paper in a couple hours and I’ll draw one out for you. I’ll show you a couple suppliers too for parts.

7 Likes

Thank you :relieved:

1 Like

Forgive the gross drawing… I’m good at a lot of things. Legibility isn’t one of those.

1. heat your mix going in with any kind of indirect fire heat exchange

2. spray into shotgun style condenser

3. resin runs down and falls to bottom CLS, solvent evaporates and goes to second cold condenser

4. clean solvent falls into tank on right

Everything is fed via your vacuum pump

I’d put a heated stirring plate under your cls so you can rock any trace ethanol off

You can get almost all of that triclamp/sanitary equipment from stilldragon.com for a decent price

I’ll clarify any questions, I probably forgot something.

5 Likes