Ultraviolet Fluorescence of Cannabis - Observations

I have used UV to see the layers in a separatory funnel. Nothing glows terribly brightly, but seeing layer boundaries is easier. I tend toward dark extracts, for personal use, so seeing layers with similar color is difficult…UV helps a lot.

2 Likes

Looks like 365 nm LED should be better than 395 nm for this application

https://www.waveformlighting.com/tech/what-is-the-difference-between-365-nm-and-395-nm-uv-led-lights

365 nm for Strongest Fluorescence

In addition to 365 nm UV lights having the advantage of not emitting violet light, many objects will fluoresce strongest at 365 nm, as evidenced by absorption spectrum measurements.

The result is that 365 nm light may be better suited for applications where stronger fluorescence effects are desired. Coupled with the advantage of having a lower amount of visible, violet light emitted, 365 nm light can considered an optimal choice where performance is of paramount importance.

3 Likes

Your best bet is going to be buying a UV lamp capable for going from 265 nm (common wavelength in flash chromatography systems) to 305 nm. These wavelengths are used for TLC and can be helpful for LLE visibility.

4 Likes

I have a UV-C light for sterilization. Looks like it is specified as 254 nm. I forgot I had that.

3 Likes

DO NOT! Expose skin, eyes, pets, or anything that has living dna/cells when working with uvc. Uvc will seriously fubar your life and plants up.

I make custom uvc boxes for growers.

I made some spider mites dance in circles in a baggie while I exposed them to direct uvc light (in a ziplock on a leaf).
Was actually funny looking at them after.

5 Likes

100% yes. UV is no joke when you start playing around with light stronger than something like a simple counterfeit bill detector or pet stain detector. Eye protection is a must when using very strong sources of of UV. You wont see very many blind people making extract.

4 Likes

Maybe this is relevant for the CRC tech that’s going around. The green fluorescence that I usually see in extract that’s been partially processed is totally stopped by neutral pH activated alumina. Whatever it is, it has crazy high retention in my little micro column. Mobile phase 99 percent iso.

3 Likes

These vails have different strains of cannabis, 91% IPA a little NaOH, and some also have carbon…but the carbon doesn’t seem to matter. Anyway, hitting them with UV light made them fluoresce in totally different colors. The camera doesn’t pick it up the same as the human eye, but close enough.

6 Likes

Anyone put THC-O-Acetate under UV before?

Wow! I can’t wait to try this.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this in both ethanol and CO2 crude put into SPD in multiple labs. Hope it works for you!

2 Likes

not sure if its connected, but this is about the frequency you want to hit your plants with in flower to increase thc levels

I’ll tell ya one thing, Philips 930 T9 bulb emits lots of uv. Did 2hrs flower work under the lights. Shoulders, back and head tingles, and in replace my floor every other run from uv dry rot. The plastic gets super brittle.

The t12 has a double glass jacket, this traps most of the uv compared to the t9 style.

3 Likes

the ceramic metal halide one? I’ve heard the new mh have high uv but I haven’t found one with the spectrum posted that rivaled hps. I’ve been toying with getting the reptile uv lights. specifically a t5 54w 46" 10%uvb/30%uva german made bulb from zoo med/reptisun

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Fluorescent-Chlorhexidine/dp/B07DYSPD7L/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=zoo+med+54w&qid=1570978942&sr=8-1

1 Like

Yes, I only run Philips cmh bulbs. I grew up in fla on the gulf of Mexico. I clearly remember getting tingly from the suns uv Ray’s. Almost the same effect I get when I’m in my veg or flower rooms under the hoods. Ppe is strongly recommended.

1 Like

are you breeding? your herb must be potent af. successive generations will evolve towards higher thc in that environment.

2 Likes

My darlins net tested at 23.x% thc

2 Likes

I can do this.

2 Likes

Amazing.

This is olive oil with UV
IMG_1544

And olive oil infused with decarbed cannabis flower
IMG_1545

I noticed some weird droplets at the bottom of the infused olive oil.

under UV
IMG_1535

6 Likes